It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WTF- was i nearly scammed...job interview in the city!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
The piss poor english in that email is a dead giveaway. Wait...arent you in england? Hehehehe....

Wtf is a crain?

By the way, i dont know if logistics is the same in the uk, but in the us you can become a transportation broker and make good money connecting trucking companies to shippers. if you can get someone to give you a 10,000 dollar surety bond. Always a catch

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
You should seek revenge on them, expose them.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Sounds like a scam to me too, what training course was it and how long would it have taken?

By the way, Temple is a very esoteric part of London, see ATS thread here - www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh
do you guys think its safe for me to up the company details

i want to show you how impossible it was to finish....but i dont want to step on any toes...

DO IT, don't think about it DO IT. There will no comebacks on you, and report it to the police.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

Yep a bit like the "earn 500 quid a week stuffing envelopes" you send of 5 pound for the how to info and receive a letter telling you to put an add in the paper advertising "earn 500 quid a week stuffing envelopes".....

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Sounds like a classic cragslist scam, not saying it is but it has been happening lately because, people are actually taking advantage of others in desperate needs for jobs and some of us went for it. Its only going to get worst and please keep your head up.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Through most of that I was thinking "Wow, you're going to be part of the Men in Black! =D (The movie variant, not the supposed real group of them ) " ... Right up until the "pay us now and take all of these courses before we see if we have a job title for you.." Yes, scams like that are everywhere unforunately and I think you should expose them ASAP. I don't see why you're delaying to do so actually. What they're doing probably isn't too legal so what can they do to you?

I personally keep getting emails from a company but it's like I'm on their mailing list or something and keep getting emails about conferences and pay roll and I'm thinking "Wow, I wish I really worked for this company instead of getting their mail!"

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Are there any agencies that you could report this business as it's obviously a scam. If it was here in Canada I'd be reporting them to HRDC and the BBB.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Transportation Manager?

Yeah you'd be managing transportation all right, the transportation of goods bought w/ stolen credit cards to the thieves so they can resell those items on ebay, craigslist, etc at a discount for cash.

The best part is when the thefts are discovered the purchases are tracked and the police will show up at your address. You'll be charged w/ receiving stolen property or worse and be unable to give them anything other than the number to a burner cell phone and the name "Dave" or similar of the E European dude who comes by to pick up the packages once per week or so.

The thieves used to go through the process of printing up fake credit cards w/ the stolen info and sending people shopping but it led the police to the people stealing the credit card info to often. This newer technique of using dupes to receive the goods gives them a nice barrier to stick in front of the police. Plus they can make the purchases online and never have to print up actual cards. This allows them to convert stolen data into products much faster and cheaper. Gangs from E Europe and Africa are doing this so much that buying a product online and having it shipped anywhere other than your own billing address is becoming more and more impossible.

Another love story from the wild west of the Internet....

Of course, if "they" wanted to end Internet fraud or at least reduce it by 99 percent all they would have to do is null route every IP from China, Romania, Taiwan, Indonesia, etc, etc, and tell their governments the Internet will be turned back on just as soon as they start cooperating with Interpol on fraud / theft cases. If I was in charge I'd shut most of those countries off until the rest of the World learns how to secure itself properly.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
This is a varient on the 419 fraud, also known as the Spanish prisoner fraud that has been going on as far back as the 16th century ( if the MET site is to be believed).

419 is the Nigerian criminal code for the advanced fee fraudand and covers a broad family of scams from the job scam, romance scam, Greetings from the Prince of Nigeria or ( my own personal favourite) THE HITMAN

A slight word of warning to the OP, I would imagine that the Police would be able to do very little about your case but at least you recorded it. I would also leave it at that as they have your address. You don't interest them anymore as you aren't going to give them any money but if you try to rock the boat, who knows...they are criminals, after all.

Another wee warning is that they might try to contact you again, maybe to tell you that they have been given a training grant and now only require £1000 from you. In that case, just play along, thank them but tell them you have another job lined up.

If anyone reading feels a bit mad about this they should do a google search for 419. It will bring up a host of pages dedicated to informing people about this crime.
More importantly, it can also lead to a rather fun, worthwhile and addictive hobby...scambaiting. You would also be doing the community a valuable, unpaid service by taking up the scammers time, thus keeping the desperate intact with their money ( I wouldn't call them stupid, there have been cases of Doctors, lawyers etc getting caught out with this scam).

The idea of the game is to set up an anonymous email addy and play along with the scammers when they get in contact with you. Seed your fake address on some old style messageboards and watch the offers of billions flooding into your inbox.
After this , get in contact ( with the fake ID) and follow their intructions. It's up to you how you play it...straight or silly.

There are no rules with scambaiting except maybe the obvious...
Stay safe...they are criminals, after all.
Don't do anything illegal ( like asking THEM for money, very tempting, but likely illegal).

All you have to do is open an untracable email account like gmail and you are on your way.

I can't hope to do any justice to the subject in one post, but it may well appeal to the more twisted ATS members out there, so like I said, just type 419 into google.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Knobby
Another wee warning is that they might try to contact you again, maybe to tell you that they have been given a training grant and now only require £1000 from you. In that case, just play along, thank them but tell them you have another job lined up

your friggin kidding me

i was just going through my email history to find the link

i got an email from them a few days ago in my spam folder

they just done exactly what you said

its gone from 5000 down to 500....WTF

they forwarded me to another company...more or less next door!
but this one doesnt hide that its training...

read through this and it was very similar to what i was told
as its not the same..im sure its safe to discuss this "other" company
... the part of concern...is that they find you a job...the emmployer pays your debts...all it takes is a signiture and they can take the money...no matter how crap your credit is

www.pprtraining.co.uk
edit on 14-11-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh

Good for you for taking the time to warn other people.

These scammers are dangerous creeps, taking advantage of people who are desperate for jobs.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
even in this one

on the home page they say they will get you a job....but if you read here....IN NO WAY DOES IT SAY YOU WILL BE EMPLOYED

please read

www.pprtraining.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Definately a scam.
You should have saved the train fare.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by six67seven
congrats - you get to keep both your kidneys

HAHA I wouldn't doubt that...

Scammers get pretty elaborate these days, always read and ask questions, as the OP did!

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Good thing you had your wits about you.

Sounds like a "job interview" I once had in "distribution"...they sounded great over the phone, real smooth, good commission percentage & a little bit of a "base wage" (notice all the quotation marks)

So I show up & they sit me down to watch a video & then it's off to train "in the field" with one of the guys there...

Turns out they drop you off on a corner & you get to walk around to businesses trying to hawk stuff out of a box of Chinese crap to any office personnel that will give you the time of day...

Yeah & the "base wage" was triggered only for the months that you averaged a certain weekly sales volume...oh yeah...AFTER completing 3 months of "training" on 100% commission as a 1099 contractor

I called a friend to pick me up after the 3rd stop & once the "trainer" had explained the set up enough that I realized I was wasting my time
edit on 14-11-2012 by coldkidc because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
It's sad there isn't more protection against this kind of fraud. I'm looking for work right now, and it's amazing how much identity theft and data mining is going on. Posting your resume reveals a lot about yourself, history, residence and such.

I'm wondering if I haven't already had my identity stolen as I've had a few promise a job and then disappear -- perhaps some foreign man will be working with my name in the near future and have my credentials.

ONE company actually wanted my Social Security number and they wanted to ONLY interview by phone. They were actually legit -- but it was an outsourcing company that worked with AT&T. They actually have a lot of people as permanent employees who DON'T work for them. It's a virtual company for the most part now. But if they have a process where their subcontractors act exactly like scam artists -- I can't play a part in that.

You take all the risks and have to expose yourself as a prospective employee. And then sign away every right you have as "standard procedure" to get the job. I only hope one day the rich and powerful get their just desserts.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Not sure about scamming, Itil and P2 are pretty decent qualifications, and they are right, In my opinion both are utterly useless to have on your CV unless you have the right job experience to go with them..

I always think those offering stand alone training programs such as Itil and P2 are offering worthless products that are useless unless the person taking said courses has a proven track record of working in those areas, and from my experience almost no employer will offer newbies a job without that proven track record.

Seems to me you're also getting work experience with these guys to overcome that track record issue, thus opening the door to job offers, but again the reality is so many people have these qualifications that even a newbie with limited job experience in the field will still be hard pushed to secure a job.

A lot of money for nothing more than a slim chance at work... I guess to some that slim chance is worth taking... Not to be negative, but it does not seem worthwhile to me.
edit on 15/11/12 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
The internet, e-mail & Craigslist etc is a breeding ground for scams. Being led down a dark corner so they can whack you over the head. That sort of thing has happened on Craigslist. It's like walking into the lions den without packing some heat. That's why you meet at a public place to do business. As far as internet and e-mail goes just treat all unsolicited e-mails as scams because the majority are. You definitely should of called the authorities.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Followed that link you posted. My first post still holds true even to these IT training places. They are basically like a correspondence school. You have to be careful with these places as they can take you to the cleaners. It's hard to say what kind of deal you're getting into for that price. What all will that price includes is hard to say. What's the curriculum literature/videos? Does it include everything? Does it include hardware? Does that price include the exam fee's? There is some big ( ? ) in there. In your first post it sounds like they didn't explain much in their sales pitch which is a red flag. So what potentially happens with something like this... is you pay the money and they throw a bunch of books at you and send you off on your way to study. Well you could of done that yourself lol. You could go and buy some cheap books study and pay the exam and pass. The caveat to that is, can you actually apply your skills in the real world?? It could get you a entry level position. However, there is a big difference between a guy who studies brain surgery out of a book and a guy who has learned brain surgery out of a book and been doing brain surgery hands on exp for 20 years.

These training places will sell off to you that you need to know EVERYTHING to become successful. Yes it's good to have a broad range of skills, but you don't need to know everything. It depends on the job really. Some companies only accept college level applied science degree's and then there is companies that are Gung-Ho for Certs. The problem with the workforce is most of these jobs are locked in and it's hard to find one. I know people that have degree's/certs and work for WalMart. lol I suppose it would depend on your financial situation too.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join