It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Stupid, Stupid Question...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I have a stupid question. Astrophysics is not my bag, so I am hoping someone here has a viable answer.

The rare earth metals, especially gold and the heavier elements, were formed (in theory) within the unfolding process of a supernova. I get that, without confusion. Earth formed, as I am given to understand, from the resulting debris cloud. I get that.

So, where is the black hole that would have formed?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by herrw

not all nova produce b/h

in theory its only a small number that do

type 1a

xp

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
If a black hole were resultant from the supernova collapse, that doesn't necessarily mean it's anywhere near where we are now. In all probability, an unknowable number of supernovae each contributed something to the mix, and those may likely lie in other galaxies across the universe.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
You really need to listen to all of the lectures by Dan Winter and Nassim Harramein. There is lots on YouTube. It may seem very far out but such is our universe. We have been taught BS for so long that many of us wipe our elbow, after having a bowel movement. Black holes are everywhere; at the centre of our Earth(basketball size) and between the ventricles of our heart(very tiny) and it powers our heart for all of our life. The power of the black hole in our heart, can be measured 35' away. The Sun has a bigger black hole at it's centre, that also serves as a Stargate. The universe favors greater complexity, meaning that it gets more and more complex from here on out. The universe always rewards courage. We can become arrogant and filled with pride, as we grow in consciousness or we can resolve to live for the greater good of all and embrace humility and love. Our call. The angels that rebelled 200,000 years ago, were full of pride and opposed God. They were wrong and regardless of how powerful we become, we must not abuse that power and commit to helping others. I think God had it right. Please don't confuse religion with spirituality. Religion will die but spirituality goes on forever because we are spiritual beings, learning about the universe and we do that forever. All is well and always will be. Never worship or obey any God; simply do what you know is right in your heart. He made us that way and that is what we must do to grow.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Ok, although that doesn'tmake a lot of sense to me, I will buy that. However, where is the white dwarf? After the supernova, wouldn't it continue to interact within the same gravitational system? The original body wouldn't have simply vaporized. Something would have to have been leftbehind, right?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by herrw
reply to post by XPLodER

Ok, although that doesn'tmake a lot of sense to me, I will buy that. However, where is the white dwarf? After the supernova, wouldn't it continue to interact within the same gravitational system? The original body wouldn't have simply vaporized. Something would have to have been leftbehind, right?

according to current thinking,

Type II Supernovae

Unlike type I supernovae, type II supernovae are the result of an isolated star reaching the end of its life. Whereas stars like our Sun will eventually lack enough energy in their cores to sustain fusion past carbon, larger stars -- more than 8 times the mass of our Sun -- will eventually fuse elements all the way up to iron in the core.

Once the fusion ceases in the core, the core will contract due to the immense gravity and the outer part of the star "falls" onto the core and rebounds to create a massive explosion. Depending on the mass of the core, it will either become a neutron star or black hole.

space.about.com...

so for type 1a nova the only thing left is a white dwarf and an ejected gas "shell" or "bubble"

for a type 2 you w2ould expect a black hole

note this is all theory atm as no one has conclusive "proof" but is widly considered to be the best "fit" with maths and observations

xploder

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by rollsthepaul
You really need to listen to all of the lectures by Dan Winter and Nassim Harramein. There is lots on YouTube. It may seem very far out but such is our universe. We have been taught BS for so long that many of us wipe our elbow, after having a bowel movement. Black holes are everywhere; at the centre of our Earth(basketball size) and between the ventricles of our heart(very tiny) and it powers our heart for all of our life. The power of the black hole in our heart, can be measured 35' away. The Sun has a bigger black hole at it's centre, that also serves as a Stargate. The universe favors greater complexity, meaning that it gets more and more complex from here on out. The universe always rewards courage. We can become arrogant and filled with pride, as we grow in consciousness or we can resolve to live for the greater good of all and embrace humility and love. Our call. The angels that rebelled 200,000 years ago, were full of pride and opposed God. They were wrong and regardless of how powerful we become, we must not abuse that power and commit to helping others. I think God had it right. Please don't confuse religion with spirituality. Religion will die but spirituality goes on forever because we are spiritual beings, learning about the universe and we do that forever. All is well and always will be. Never worship or obey any God; simply do what you know is right in your heart. He made us that way and that is what we must do to grow.

The devil will tell a hundred truths to tell one lie. I liked the rest of what you said, "lightbringer"?

All except this. "Never worship or obey any God;".

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
your question is like this song...

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

I rarely get beat to posts like the one you made but any way good one.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by herrw

No question is ever stupid...unless you already know the anwer of course.

Interresting read. Today I asked myself a simular "stupid" question....

Could there be stable chemical elements we have never seen or ever have been aware about. I mean, the periodic table of chemical elements is still a theory.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Stars move. Protostars move.

The sun is in orbit around the center of the Milky Way galaxy, and is moving at about 250 kilometers per second.

The sun formed about 4.5 billion years ago, so it has had plenty of time to move around the center of the Milky Way several times, as it does so every 220 to 250 million years.

Any remains from super nova that helped formed the sun and the solar system would be long gone, as too much time has past and too much movement.

edit on 12-11-2012 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

The periodic table isn't really a theory. It's a table of data that we know, for a fact, exists. There are elements that exist that we may not be aware of, however a vast majority of them are so unstable that they only exist for billionths of a second and are only discovered through data collected in super colliders and processed by super-computers.

As to the OP question, the previous post said pretty much what I was going to say. The solar system is 4.5 billion years old which is plenty of time for any friendly stars to have moved on.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
In addition to Erictheawful's answer, the stuff expelled by a supernova can probably travel hundreds of light years away from its source. Many supernova remnants I see on photos are gigantic in size. All these heavy elements become part of the molecular clouds of gas and dust that make up nebulae, and nebulae is where stars form. After formation, our Sun has travelled great distances, so the Sun's "brothers" and "sisters" as well as the original nebula have long since drifted away.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by herrw

Alot of supernova do not end as a black hole. Alot just end as a neutron star, and, in that case, you can't see them as long as their rotating radio beam trajectory do not cross Earth.

new topics

top topics

join