It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.3 earthquake Vancouver Island

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Just in on my iphone app. mag 6.3 depth 43 km

Vancouver Island is a lot closer to Vancouver than Haida Gwaii a week or so ago. Getting closer to home.

Nothing else to post, just putting it out there

ETA: just looking at the map now Lat 49.2990 Long -128.4390. Any bigger of a shaker and that would pretty much wipe out the coast if a tsunami was coming.
edit on 7-11-2012 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Just got the notification too. I don't like how close to home that one was. I didn't feel anything, did you?

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MonkeyFishFrog

Nope, just my phone vibrating

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
In kits and didn't feel a thing but as well getting a little too close to home when they are that magnitude hope all in port hardy are ok and there isn't much damage.

SaneThinking

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Everyone be safe if this turns out to be more than just an errant aftershock.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
All quiet by Metrotown, not a bump but yeah I don't like the direction these things are taking...Too close to home for my liking

link   
I'v got family on the island, hopefully this isn't anything serious.

Stay safe any members residing there.

link   
Geez, i was just on usgs right before 6 o'clock pacific time! then i throw in the pizza and my sis calls and says there was a quake.

My parents live on the north tip of vancouver island and they didn't feel it.

Still don't like where this is going. I'm heading home for the weekend too.

I remember a few years back there were two earthquakes about 4 days apart in almost the same position as each other. Does anyone know how close this earthquake was to those 2 quakes? I think they are somewhat close if my memory is serving me properly. I felt both of those earthquakes a few years back.
edit on 7-11-2012 by phoenixlights321 because: (no reason given)

link   
Didn't feel a thing,and i couldn't live closer to Van-isle from the mainland.
No excuses now not to prepare,we have been warned..
www.huffingtonpost.ca...=1715305
edit on 7-11-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by all2human
Didn't feel a thing,and i couldn't live closer to Van-isle from the mainland.
Cascadia plate this time...no excuse not to prepare.
edit on 7-11-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

Oh that's just what I wanna hear
My furry quake predictors are both behaving normal but the local increase in quakes does have me concerned somewhat. Don't really understand the mechanics behind earthquakes but all this activity around a known subduction plate gives me the freaking willy's

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by all2human

Learn something every day here.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Didn't feel this quake at all(but a 6.3 isn't that big). I do however wonder what the odds are of this being a fore-shock. Hopefully we just get a swarm of small quakes that relieve pressure on the Cascadia fault.The last thing we need is for Cascadia to "POP" right now. A large tsunami wouldn't affect me directly(although I wouldn't want to be on the coast at the time). What scares me is what a large tsunami could do once it crosses the pacific and wallops Japan.If Fukushima was going to get hit with another wave I would be hard pressed to not start to panic a bit.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWetCoast
Didn't feel this quake at all(but a 6.3 isn't that big). I do however wonder what the odds are of this being a fore-shock. Hopefully we just get a swarm of small quakes that relieve pressure on the Cascadia fault.The last thing we need is for Cascadia to "POP" right now. A large tsunami wouldn't affect me directly(although I wouldn't want to be on the coast at the time). What scares me is what a large tsunami could do once it crosses the pacific and wallops Japan.If Fukushima was going to get hit with another wave I would be hard pressed to not start to panic a bit.

Yup, I was just thinking about that a few hours ago. When Cascadia goes, it's going to be ugly. I feel so bad for Japan (and the West Coast). At least they will have more time to evacuate in Japan for a tsunami generated around BC.
edit on 7-11-2012 by phoenixlights321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
My younger sister moved to Victoria for college this year so as soon as I saw this thread I quickly texted her. She hadn't heard about it or felt anything. She had been on Queen Charlotte for a friends birthday party the day before the 7.7 so that freaked her out a little.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
In before.....ForeshockTard.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWetCoast

If a tsunami from the east coast of Canada hit Fukushima with a wave strong enough to cause damage (7m+), Vancouver would be vanished from the map probably.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I've been through a few good shakers while I lived on Vancouver Island (Victoria) and they were nothing to underestimate.

"The ground was moving
"

I never felt an earthquake until I moved to the West Coast but have also felt a few since I moved back East. The ground skaking underneath my feet is something that I will never get used to. I will call my friends in Victoria to see if they felt it.

It appears that this region has been more active as late, I hope it's just releasing some stress as opposed to leading up to something bigger. I remember them always talking about the "Big One" which is due. The West coast of Vancouver Island has a history of some really big Tsunamis.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logman
In before.....ForeshockTard.

In after the tard who says "foreshock tard".

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
With this and the 6.3 in Guatemala and the 4.3 in Utah, and the Queens Charlotte area popping 2-4+

If anything things look to be heating up instead of slowing down.

Keep ya eyes and ears open cause it could get bumpy

Go 2012

edit on 8-11-2012 by mytheroy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by hououinkyouma
reply to post by TheWetCoast

If a tsunami from the east coast of Canada hit Fukushima with a wave strong enough to cause damage (7m+), Vancouver would be vanished from the map probably.

You did mean West coast of Canada...right?

<<   2 >>

join