It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What reasons would National Guard have being here in NYC before Sandy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
A few weeks ago before the storm, maybe 2 weeks?.... I was waiting for my daughter to come home on the bus and out of nowhere there was tan truck I have never seen before. I knew it was Military but couldnt figure it out. I just knew it wasnt the Army. It comes speeding down one block, didnt pull my phone out fast enough, but then when I think its gone its comes roaring back and turns in a different direction....

I forget all about it, Sandy comes and goes, and going through all the media clips in the areas, one is focused on National Guard and a big duh comes along. That was exactly what I saw roaring down my street. I have lived all over Brooklyn, spent so much time in the Rockaways and Breezy Point, Coney, grew up at Floyd Bennit field because I was always going with my dad, and have never seen that.

IF it makes any difference I can tell you originally it came from Vinegar Hill, which is right next to the Bklyn Navy Yard but I doubt it came from there because the entrance is nowhere on that side the truck was coming from. Vinegar hill is right by the water, and has a big con ed substation there. They were going in the directiion of downtown brooklyn, and when they came roaring back and turned, they started going towards the Manhatten and Brooklyn Bridges. Once I realized what it was I tried to search online as to why they wouldve been here but couldnt find anything. Maybe someone here can?

What can they do here on a regular day? I thought they only come when shtf in one way or another but searching really sucks as now everything in the search related to National Guard is mixed in with Sandy and as I said before, this was maybe days before Sandy was even Sandy. I would say this happened in October, somewhere on the week of the 12th to the 16th
edit on 7-11-2012 by WeBrooklyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
They knew it was coming?

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

They knew it was coming?
reply to post by Sinny

Whoa lad, put on the brakes a little

Im not saying that, but I do find it highly odd that they were here.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
ConEd is nearby? Bingo. Utility trucks tend to be tan or white for visibility.

rye.dailyvoice.com...

Did it look like that?
edit on 7-11-2012 by DaTroof because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by WeBrooklyn

They knew it was coming?
reply to post by Sinny

Whoa lad, put on the brakes a little

Im not saying that, but I do find it highly odd that they were here.

*Lass

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Nope.

Looked more like this, the back was different though

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Gee thanks

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Thanks WeBrooklyn!

Near a Con Ed substation, eh?
What other major utilities related infrastructure might lay in either one of the directions this travelled?

I find it very interesting.
What did the truck look like it might be used for? Carrying people, equipment, or what?

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I am National Guard on the coast of Mississippi and have worked 3 hurricanes. sometimes we will get hurricane orders long before it makes landfall. During hurricane Gustav I got orders about a week before it came in. So we would go house to house reminding citizens that a hurricane is coming and they should evacuate. We also would help people evacuate that couldnt on their own. We also would do a recon of the area we would be patroling to get a idea of what areas are vulnerable, set up staging areas, HQ, food and water points.

Also getting boots on the ground in advance makes the citizens feel alot better, when they know we are there for them they are more likely to evacuate because they feel their property is safe from looters with us doing constant patrols down every street.

I love working hurricanes, its alot more rewarding then being deployed to Iraq or afghanistan. When the citizens see our convoy coming in they will stop what they are doing, line the roads and cheer like its a parade.

Also that truck in the picture is called a M1078 LMTV. The back looked differant probably because its a very versatile truck. You can changed the configuration of the truck just by pulling out some pins
edit on 2012/11/8 by ussoldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Thanks WeBrooklyn! Near a Con Ed substation, eh? What other major utilities related infrastructure might lay in either one of the directions this travelled? I find it very interesting. What did the truck look like it might be used for? Carrying people, equipment, or what?
reply to post by PaperbackWriter

Hey! By Con Ed, theres nothing but water behind it, East River I should say. In the direction they originially went was towards downtown Brooklyn, financial hub of the borough so theres alot there. The last direction they went were towards the bridges leading into Manhatten..

Looked like it can carry either/or

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   

I am National Guard on the coast of Mississippi and have worked 3 hurricanes. sometimes we will get hurricane orders long before it makes landfall. During hurricane Gustav I got orders about a week before it came in. So we would go house to house reminding citizens that a hurricane is coming and they should evacuate. We also would help people evacuate that couldnt on their own. We also would do a recon of the area we would be patroling to get a idea of what areas are vulnerable, set up staging areas, HQ, food and water points. Also getting boots on the ground in advance makes the citizens feel alot better, when they know we are there for them they are more likely to evacuate because they feel their property is safe from looters with us doing constant patrols down every street. I love working hurricanes, its alot more rewarding then being deployed to Iraq or afghanistan. When the citizens see our convoy coming in they will stop what they are doing, line the roads and cheer like its a parade. Also that truck in the picture is called a M1078 LMTV. The back looked differant probably because its a very versatile truck. You can changed the configuration of the truck just by pulling out some pins
reply to post by ussoldier

Thank you so much for your response and what you do

The thing is, I saw this before Sandy was formed. No talk on it, nothing, nonexistent. So my question is what other reasons would they be here? It's an excellent idea to be on the ground before hurricanes come to help people but I dont think that was the case here. I am not referring to a day or two before Sandy's arrival, I mean like two weeks before Sandy was even over Jamaica, At the time there was no talk whatsoever on a hurricane hitting the East Coast.

So what are the possibilities?

Thanks again!

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeBrooklyn

I am National Guard on the coast of Mississippi and have worked 3 hurricanes. sometimes we will get hurricane orders long before it makes landfall. During hurricane Gustav I got orders about a week before it came in. So we would go house to house reminding citizens that a hurricane is coming and they should evacuate. We also would help people evacuate that couldnt on their own. We also would do a recon of the area we would be patroling to get a idea of what areas are vulnerable, set up staging areas, HQ, food and water points. Also getting boots on the ground in advance makes the citizens feel alot better, when they know we are there for them they are more likely to evacuate because they feel their property is safe from looters with us doing constant patrols down every street. I love working hurricanes, its alot more rewarding then being deployed to Iraq or afghanistan. When the citizens see our convoy coming in they will stop what they are doing, line the roads and cheer like its a parade. Also that truck in the picture is called a M1078 LMTV. The back looked differant probably because its a very versatile truck. You can changed the configuration of the truck just by pulling out some pins

reply to post by ussoldier

Thank you so much for your response and what you do

The thing is, I saw this before Sandy was formed. No talk on it, nothing, nonexistent. So my question is what other reasons would they be here? It's an excellent idea to be on the ground before hurricanes come to help people but I dont think that was the case here. I am not referring to a day or two before Sandy's arrival, I mean like two weeks before Sandy was even over Jamaica, At the time there was no talk whatsoever on a hurricane hitting the East Coast.

So what are the possibilities?

Thanks again!

Thank you!
Im not really sure, but its probably just a coincidence. We would use the Humvees and LMTVs for everything even to get Mcdonalds. They could have been bringing vehicles for maintenance, moving equipment, driver training or a number of other things not related to Sandy. We even drove Bradleys down Highway 90 for events and Mardi Gras parades.

top topics

join