It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ballots Ballots Everywhere and not a single one to match. Why??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Greetings from the Heartland, my fellow citizens and voters! It's with real confusion I come with this today and hope others may add to understanding of just what is happening here and why?? First, I'd like to show you a sample ballot. This isn't MY area sample, as I couldn't find one online with an image to share. This is, however, precisely what I just filled out at the polling place for layout, form and function. Everything is the same except for the names and office titles.

This has been what my area of Missouri has been using as long as I've lived here to vote here. It's simple, plain and damn near impossible to screw up. Again, I apologize, but I cannot find the precise model of machine I fed my ballot into awhile ago. This is the closest approximation and would be a near perfect match but for the second digital display. The one here only had the counter for total inserted.

Other members are speaking of 100% pure electronic voting where no paper of any kind exists. Others speak of machines that take the electronic vote but then spit out a paper ballot to feed into a box after that.

WHY?!

Why do Americans seemingly need to be forced to use so many different methods to accomplish the same thing. Just what is wrong with taking ink to paper and filling in an arrow? I don't get it, beyond allowing a new way to cheat the system. That can take either form. Previous elections blamed the right for it, and this one has people in past days already saying their computer displays showed the wrong choices for early voting the other way. It seems no one really wins, either direction this way. No pun intended.

What else is everyone else experiencing for the method of voting out there???

Does anyone else agree this should be OLD fashioned in terms of the method used ..and most importantly....UNIVERSAL for the same method being used by all? I'm sitting here wondering....how can I take the national result seriously, win or lose, when so many different methods came into play for getting there?? EACH has it's weakness and it's strength. Together? It's a mass of confusion for how that all functions on this one day.

- One confused bunny.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
They gave me a piece of paper with a access code on it that I had to enter into the machine with a awkward wheel that selected a onscreen num pad. Then I had to use that weird wheel method to select my votes and then hit accept and viola! done. No other paper other than the access code
seemed strange...

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Just what is wrong with taking ink to paper and filling in an arrow? I don't get it, beyond allowing a new way to cheat the system.

In Australia, we use a pencil and paper...

...and the votes are counted in view of observers at the end of the day.

If there is any doubt, the paper ballots can be counted again.

There isnt any machine to interfere, or to have to trust any computer or to assume an optical reader works correctly or to rely on software, or any "user interface" to confuse people.

If there is any doubt, the paper ballots can be counted again.If there is any doubt, the paper ballots can be counted again.If there is any doubt, the paper ballots can be counted again.If there is any doubt, the paper ballots can be counted again.If there is any doubt, the paper ballots can be counted again.

I think its the best way.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I used to have this cartoon printed out and hanging in my office.

Nevermind... Phooey - I am having trouble with the link. Will try to upload.

edit on 6-11201211-1212 by gwynnhwyfar because: 2nd try - not going to the right image

edit on 6-11201211-1212 by gwynnhwyfar because: Still not working...

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Here in Palm Beach County, Florida we have the exact same type of ballot that you used Wrabbit. Just fill in the arrows and feed it to a machine. It was simple enough for everyone. They even made sure that you were able to fill in a sample arrow before giving you your ballot. I know in the past we have used all sorts of contraptions including a hole punch pen thing that you had to use. There really should be one standardized system for everyone.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

The problem with that system is that there's a very real danger the numbers will stay the same no matter how many times the ballots are counted.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
s&f, wabbit!

why why why is it getting more disorlderly than organized?

well, heres what i noticed this year, 2012 elections more than ever:

1) numerous machine errors, everything between power outages, frozen screens, or ppl complaining buttons 'bait and switch' your vote, repeatedly (more towards Obama)

2) people loud, outspoken about WHY they're voting to for Obama, other than keeping him in office 4 more years. no one asked! ur vote is your private business.

3) YT, facebook, and numerous social networks flooded with pre-recorded complaints that Romney is steeling their votes, that seemed scripted and staged... their body language screams trained cia/disinfo agents

whats really going on?
edit on 6-11-2012 by quirt because: link CODE

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
It's been a while since I voted. Obviously I didn't vote today. ( in the US) Is there a Choice of the type of ballot you can use.. machine or paper?

If not.. There should be. Lets start a national petition to make them give us a choice. I feel voting machines are too easy to manipulate.

quirt - Awesome video above! Everyone Must see it and star your post!

edit on 6-11-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Palm Beach county here also. I used the same ballot as the op and other PB poster. The only thing i don't understand is why we can't get a paper reciept with the names of who we voted for. Voting results could be posted online by ballot number and voters could compare to ensure their vote was counted properly. In this day and age there is no reason we don't have a system that completely eliminates the possibility of fraud. It's the same people we are voting for that are responsible.

join