It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant stellar bubble looks like a dog's head.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Very interesting picture, I have never seen a bubble quite like this one. I wander if it can do any tricks!

Some 5,000 light years away, hovering in the constellation Canis Major, this massive 60-light-years-across bubble is lurking. Known as a Wolf-Rayet bubble (and thought by some to resembe a wolf- or dog-like head), it's a type of cosmic structure created by huge stars that generate equally colossal stellar winds. When imaged in X-ray, it gives us the shifting blues, greens, yellows, and reds seen above. This Wolf-Rayet is known as S 308, and it was generated by a star known as HD 50896. It is one of only two known Wolf-Rayet bubbles that emits X-rays. That allowed an international team of scientists to capture it using the European Photon Imaging Camera aboard the European Space Agency’s X-ray imaging XMM-Newton observatory. The green halo marks the end of the shock wave that the star is blowing out into space, while the blues and reds that round out the bubble are the result of powerful solar winds colliding with surrounding material in the region. Like any good bubble, this one will eventually burst. S 308 will disperse its stellar material into the surrounding space, while the star will die a supernova death.

The universe is just full of the coolest stuff, I cant wait to see what they find next.

What do you guys think?

www.popsci.com...
edit on 6-11-2012 by inverslyproportional because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
That is clearly a teddy bear head. And it's terrifying

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

I think that's pretty cool...does look bull doggity
my favorite is the crab nebula.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking
That is clearly a teddy bear head. And it's terrifying

I kinda thought that myself, but meh, I just wander what kind of sick giant little girl's brother tore it off and tossed it out the galactic RV window.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

looks more like a seagull...

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Looks more like a dolphin to me.

edit on 6-11-2012 by RMFX1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Looks like it is getting ready to pop to me. When it does, I wonder: Where will a popped comic bubble go?

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

That is pretty cool but reminds me of the ghost from super mario bros.

Thanx for the find I can never get enough of space imagery. Helps to keep the perspective of how small and insignificant we all on this little rock we call earth .

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Ok I think I see the dolphin also, good call. Though I believe the teddy bear is closest so far.

FreedomSlave, I completely agree, it just blows my mind with almost every new image I see, and we have yet to even scratch the surface.

Imagine, in a far off time, some future teenaged young man, taking his highschool sweet heart to the "country" to go parking in the families warp drive station wagon. Sure beats the hell out of those night skies we always found so amazing when I was growing up out in the sicks. The girls wouldnt stand a chance.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
It's a huge lemon. Well that is what it looks like to me.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

if they looked like this for a warp station wagon I would be a proud dad with a station wagon

chicks may dig the old woody's with funny looking hubcaps in the future lol

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   

if u like that, u should check out dog rock off hwy 70 in nor cali i drove by it once on the way home, i tried to google it but it seem that google doesnt know everything(or i was to lazy to dig past the first page,lol)

join