It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The American Dream is long dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
The entire system lately has been minpulated into the 1% hands, elite and bankers. Things are worse than they have ever been. I must say this about Detroit Michigan. Why am I complaining? Year and a half with a couple of associate degrees and still not job. Nothing, I even have to double think on my degree agenda as well, because when it comes down to it, there are no jobs.

To me there seems to be an absent of real money and any job that (WE) Michiganders) get, is nothing more than minimum wage.

I am in a position in my life where there are plenty of issues and no resolutions . Don't give me your Gender bias as well, telling me to move, with no money allt he while you flock and praise those who find work after 2 years.

The point is, is that my point doesn't affect you at all... That my position will be here. I am happy to be having a job tomorrow, Salvation army bell ringer. My buddy just got a job as a car porter, I thought that was a 10$ job, apparently its just 7.40.....

And where does this leave me? Doing charity work is a good thing and getting paid for it is even better, I guess I have to blame my position and degree choice (teacher). I guess all those people who went into nursing that were promise plenty of jobs opening are screwed too as well. Or perhaps we (as michigan people) have to sit on our ass and wait and pray for the big 3 to open there doors in order to allow us a nice paying job that I can afford to move out. I am suppose to start a family with less than 1,000$ a month?

I am not going to sit here and complain completely, its my fault for not having any real world application on jobs, correct? My fault for choosing to be a janitor, direct care worker (for mental handicap), Retail...

What was my dream? to be an audio engineer as a profession.
I am not going to sit here and feel sorry for myself, this issue is to show that there are plenty of people struggling under the same economic conditions that have been applied for the past 10 years.

edit on 1-11-2012 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Just a thought you should know that most congress creatures are the 1% or tied to them. can not blame all the rich they want to put people to work thats how they make there money. put the blame where it belongs. I have had to take low paying jobs but luckly they always lead to some thing else. some times it took some time but it came around. ( good luck)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
First off, being a teacher isn't easy and I salute you. I say this because 70% of my family is teachers (mostly retired) and I have nothing but respect for teachers. Seeing how you’re in Michigan, why not go across the border and teach in Ontario?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
The american dream ended about the time they stoped churning butter.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
okay the American dream that we think of is dead. But is there a new American dream. the new Idea of what it is?? Is it just to find any job??? is it just to find any job that pays so you can say to the woman your with I have something I am not lazy. is the new American Dream to find any job wher ei t is enough for where you and your family can survive??? I wonder what is the New American Dream??

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I feel you, as a Michigander.
While I have been lucky so far, my husband went from a well paid laborer, to doing concrete work for a landscaper.
It is less than half of what he was making, but a least he is working. He has guys he used to work with calling him all the time, asking about work.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by American-philosopher
okay the American dream that we think of is dead. But is there a new American dream. the new Idea of what it is?? Is it just to find any job??? is it just to find any job that pays so you can say to the woman your with I have something I am not lazy. is the new American Dream to find any job wher ei t is enough for where you and your family can survive??? I wonder what is the New American Dream??

This post reminds me of the song "Blue Collar Man" by Styx.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
The American dream consists of many skilled people so under employed, they are forced to have 2,3 jobs per family to keep a roof over their heads.

I lived in a area where my husband and I could afford to live, our job closed up and we lost it all forced to take up 3 incomes, no time with family, nothing just to survive...eventually we lost everything...

Since then my gas and electric bill has become outrageous, $7 a pack of chicken, gas $4 a gallon.....America is rich or poor middle class is shrinking fast....I considerd myself middle class at one time....today I'm at poverty level.....and no one is hiring for skilled positions, or willing to pay.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kat2684

You sound like a solid lady. Many end up having their family scattered to the wind as well durring hard times.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

Thanks for the complement.....

The sad truth is when a family is forced to take on multiple incomes, its removing available work for people who have none. I believe this is why jobs are becoming scarce, also not everyone is lucky enough to become hired by any job right away, we were very lucky.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
"It's called the American dream....

Because you have to be asleep to believe it. "

George Carlin - RIP

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
We live in a credential society, and in order to transcend from a paper degree society, we need to have more universal jobs that will teach how to do the job
edit on 1-11-2012 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join