It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeland Security Sued for Drone Details

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Homeland Security Sued for Drone Details

phys.org

The Electronic Frontier Foundation said Wednesday it has sued the US Department of Homeland Security to obtain details about Predator drones on loan to domestic police departments.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Hey there everyone, this is my first post. I track a little of everything this world has to offer... here's something I came across early this morning. I'm glad that there are people in this country who realize that we do not have to keep our heads down and or mouths shut.

I for one, as many of you here as well, knew that the allowance of drone flights over US soil and populations by the FAA had a nefarious tinge to it. And now its implementation by the DHS and other agencies is proof, even if it is only violating our privacy, as of now. We as the constituents and financiers of these programs should know exactly what is going on.

phys.org
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 1-11-2012 by apokalupsis33vital because: spelling, oops

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but most of us are too busy cooperating in our own enslavement to be concerned with this right now.

Drone Lobbying Ramps Up....

The Association For Unmanned Vehicle Systems International (AUVSI), an industry trade group, has said once drones are allowed to fly in U.S. airspace, "the civil market has the potential to eclipse the defense market."

A recent study by the Teal Group, an aviation and defense consulting firm, estimated that global spending on unmanned aircraft will almost double over the next decade, from $5.9 billion annually to $11.3 billion. Most of that growth will be in the U.S.

“The expansion of remotely piloted vehicles will create jobs and boost local economies across the country," AUVSI President Michael Toscano said in an emailed statement to The Huffington Post. He cited the group's study that estimated drones would create 23,000 new jobs by 2025. “In addition to the positive impact on jobs, the expansion of remotely piloted vehicles also holds the potential to save money for local governments and taxpayers, as they cost much less to operate than helicopters and other manned aircraft.”

Maybe we can discuss it in a few years, Right now we got drones to get airborne....!

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Lol, right! We are assisting in the creation of a "1984" that is so much more sophisticated and intrusive than even Orwell could have imagined! But it's okay, we'll get 23,000 jobs out of it, right?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Nice catch. I'm surprised it took so long for an organization to start this kind of action and get some disclosure on these drones, you would have kind of thought that was a no-brainer for many civil rights/constitutional rights groups.

What concerns me is this.

The story is these drones are for surveillance. However, how much more information can they obtain that can't already be obtained by satellite, helicopters or planes?

The difference is the new drones have weapons platforms as an integral part of their design, whereas traditional information gathering vehicles do not (civilian non-military of course).

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by apokalupsis33vital

Yeah. 23,000 jobs. Boy do we sell our liberty cheap....

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I wonder if ITT tech, DeVry, etc. will start promoting "Drone repair" in their curriculum.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2

22,000 of those jobs will be Prison workers able to keep their jobs. As the unmanned drones use thermal cameras to pick out all those pesky home owners growing a single marijuana plant.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE

Here is some more info, but I do want to say that not only are the surveillance technologies used in unmanned drones far-better and more accurate than those used by local police helicopters, but think of how much easier it would be for a person to conduct " surveillance", or even utilize the munition payload on a drone ( say on a group of protesters or political dissidents) if that person is sitting behind a monitor a thousand miles away, or if the drone was just running a programmed route and mission!!

Here's a great article with some great perspective and some good info: www.dailytech.com...

Here's a map of current, and future DoD bases: publicintelligence.net...

edit on 1-11-2012 by apokalupsis33vital because: links not working

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2

23,000 jobs by 2025? What a joke, that is roughly 1700 jobs a year. Actually based on those numbers yeah we do sell our liberty cheap.

edit on 11/1/2012 by SpaDe_ because: .....

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
The FAA's replies as to who has a certificate to operate unmaned aerial systems are on this page - the downloads are quite large though - over 600 Mb in one case!!

The list of police & other Govt agencies that are authorised to use drones (up to mid 2011) is 1 1/2 pages of pdf.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

I just saw your post. I must made a post about a UAV I just witnessed flying over North San Diego County. Well not "just", it was about an hour ago. I think there is more drones flying around than what recent MSM articles claim. I read how the Seattle police now have them to use for domestic law enforcement.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

That is something, and laws are forming ever so faster, under the radar (MSM), to ease the facilitation and implementation of these vehicles. I think drone technology is great, but the technology is being limited and is in conjunction with very nefarious legislation such as the NDAA, PATRIOT ACT, etc.

And they plan on utilizing a vast number more than we have now. If you look at the map above, look how many more drone bases they plan on building!!

new topics

top topics

join