It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silence is undervalued

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Silence is undervalued

This world we live in is full of crazy noise isnt it? And what of silence it is much more rare.
What explains this phenomena? Does it perform the function of the back drop to lifes routines like the movie ambient music score, or is there something else going, something that fulfils the need of something imbedded in our human psycological behaviours.

Lets take a lateral swing at answering this by placing ourself in the shoes of the main progenitor of all social forms of noise. Yes the shoes your wearing right now.

Does the shoewearer have an affinity for being in a environment surrounded by continual noise?

For example If your shoes walked you into a super market would you be unsettled if it was packed with people all saying nothing, and dead quiet like a library? Would such a situation of environment unsettle you?

But in reality its the places of loud noise we find ourselves wandering about and permutating to, and also as its willingly participant contibutors to the crowd voice.

Yes the voice of the crowd, and what is it saying to us that we may recognise as a useful contribution to the world we live in.

For example, Is it saying something in depth and meaningful in contribution to the Politcal debates, or is it just shooting the breezes of small talk we'd likley come across in between the prices of products on supermarket shelfs?

If its the later then there may arise the answer to the question. That is,
the purpose of the noise is to ensure that not to seek the consulate sage of the individual voice, and only alternatively to ensure we as individuals feel the need to not wear our voice on our shoulder.
Yes to bring about the turning down of the indivduals volume level to the point of relative silence is achieved; by the effective distilliation of its reverb into the background level.

Just wanted to lay that one on the table for opinion? And also mabey its good timing as i see alot of positive noises being made Ats forums on the presidential debate.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

I would love to go to a super market and it be quiet like a library. But then again, I'm a it of an introvert so being around people kind of drains my social skills battery a little faster than most.

I go wild camping once a year...well I try anyway. I go up in the mountains near where I live. It's so quiet and serene. No highways, no hum from electricity, just ...quiet. Those places are getting less and less accessible which is a shame really.

Some people live their whole live with out any quiet what so ever. I would go nuts. We're not supposed to live in an environment where machines and technology disrupt out natural cycles, IMO. I've said it before. If I didn't have kids (which I love) I would probably be living as a hermit up north away from tech and civilization.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
shh!

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
shh!

NO! I'm typing.
I have a low noise tolerance which rears it's ugly head on occasion. Can't stand door slamming or feet thumping up the stairs. I also have misophonia,( can't stand the sound of others chewing) and have had it since childhood. A quiet library, or a peaceful stream in the woods, or a deserted beach is heaven to me. Can't tolerate loud city noises. Sirens drive me nuts.
That being said, I do require background noise, a soft lull to sleep. I use a small fan for this. Hubby's snoring works well too. I find absolute silence makes my ears and brain hurt, like they are starved and searching for any sound.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Something tells me you don't have children.

I don't think that anyone with children can undervalue silence.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
something could be right.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Many people value silence such as when they are reading. I think most understand its importance when it comes to relaxation or concentration.
Whether there is silence or not, I appreciate it as it arises.

I do not really prefer much noise, but if I cannot get complete silence I am not annoyed by a little noise, I appreciate it. And if noise arises and there is nothing I can do about it, I will readjust myself so that I won't get annoyed by it but accept it and appreciate it.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
The silence is what you are, it is there always listening.
Any noise is not you.

You are non existence and what is experienced is existence.
There are very few who want non existence. People crave existence because it fills them up because deep down they know they are empty and void and they fear non existence.

To hear the silence is to know thyself but the mind is noisey so is heard instead.
To know oneself as the silence, the emptiness, is to know everlasting peace.
edit on 25-10-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

top topics

join