It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best books for "rebuilding society" in "post-apocalypse" scenario?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I've often wondered about the Toba Event and other such times of immense global cataclysm-----how much knowledge was lost because so much of it wasn't written down or preserved? That line of thought always leads to wondering which books would be the best ones to bring if you could grab just a few, which would actually be useful for future mathematicians, astronomers, farmers, scientists, etc. Books that leave out the useless crap (like fiction books, or books with way too much explanation like textbooks) would be like the Bible to those future generations.

Anyone have any suggestions on really useful condensed-info books, especially ones that are smaller, or ones that are manufactured to be put in BOBs and whatnot? Or any good threads here or other websites to share which have covered this? I'm talking "the Pocket Book Of Mathematical Knowledge" and whatnot. TIA

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

I think "how to make" type books and "how to purify metals from rock etc would be helpful. Along with growing plants, making medicines, making and fixing machinery etc also how to harness solar, hydro, wind power . But for sure, it would be a HUGE mistake to have ANY book that talks about religion. Wow, just think, a new start WITHOUT all of that dogma about pretending friends. Humans might even be able to do a good job of things.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
while I have no want need or desire, to rebuild society, in a shtf scenario, I would try to grab the following books, if given the chance.carla emerys encyclopedia of country living is a great book that covers animal husbandry to gardening, great book but huge, wild wood wisdom by ellsworth jaeger is an awesome book, full of lost skills, from foraging to leather work, back to basics, a readers digest book is a classic and covers a lot, its on the big side though. but my favorite would be walden by henry david thoreau, while not a how to book per se, I believe it is a very inspirational book on solitude and self sufficiency.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by IsawWHATtheyDID

Thank you, this is exactly what I'm looking for-----titles and authors! I will check these out.

top topics

join