It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Introducing the USS Zumwalt, the Stealth Destroyer

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Likely it has some rather special ships attached to it as such a use would mean we could literally watch chines officials in and out of their compounds at no small risk.

On top of all the obvious capabilities.

It also shows that we still have earthcentric views on our defense that are worth our time.

Ass kicking never looked so stealthy.
edit on 11-11-2012 by tekeen because: (no reason given)

"This is a waste of money.

It was developed and designed under the premise of US air and space superiority.

One of those has already been lost, the other will be up for debate in 15 years or less."

Wrong brother man we have space ships and we can enhance genetically.

We are the bad asses on planet right now and we are not quitting just yet I am quite sure of this.

edit on 11-11-2012 by tekeen because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   
They should make the ships like this... but have them carry nukes. that way they'd largely be ignored as harmless thats the same as a stealth ship.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
They should make the ships like this... but have them carry nukes. that way they'd largely be ignored as harmless thats the same as a stealth ship.

This would appear to do the covert sneak attack better. Its a modern version of the 'Q-Ship' from WWW2.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Theres no defence against that except to track where they are sold. You cant stop and search every single ship before it gets within launching range of your ports.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Of course, termites might be a problem...

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Actually saw this at naval station norfolk about a week ago when I was going to check out my buddies ship. Anyway I didn't even really realize what I was looking at, at first. It really just looks like a barge...a futuristic barge.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
The deckhouse was lifted and integrated on December 14th. That makes the hull of the Zumwalt 80% complete and on schedule for launch and Christening in 2013. The USS Michael Monsoor DDG1001 began construction in 2010 with delivery in 2016, and the Lyndon Johnson DDG1002 is expected to deliver in 2018

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
Reminds me of this old ship

USS Zumwalt

CSS Virgina

That's a really cool point. The similarity is for a reason; where the old ironclads tried to deflect cannonballs, we now try to deflect radar beams.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Some great pictures here of the ship. She is almost ready to move to a floating drydock, and is on schedule for launch later this year.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
The good news is that we should also be getting some newly constructed Flight III Arleigh Burke Class Destroyers in the near future as well. Along with a few Flight II destroyers upgraded to Flight III.

A much better investment than these Zumwalt Class Destroyers, if you ask me. But that is just my personal opinion. Others may undoubtedly disagree.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by allenidaho
The good news is that we should also be getting some newly constructed Flight III Arleigh Burke Class Destroyers in the near future as well. Along with a few Flight II destroyers upgraded to Flight III.

A much better investment than these Zumwalt Class Destroyers, if you ask me. But that is just my personal opinion. Others may undoubtedly disagree.

Many times it is not the strength of the single piece of technology, but that technology paired with others that creates a force greater than the sum of it's parts. It's very possible the threat of the Zumwalt will enhance the capabilities of the rest of our naval forces. Time will tell.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Some great pictures here of the ship. She is almost ready to move to a floating drydock, and is on schedule for launch later this year.

It's already obsolete.
Just ask Lockheed Martin. It's creating a lot of jobs but it's already on its way to a
museum.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
The fact is; for all the hubris surrounding the US Military the Chinese are still able to sail right into the Gulf of Mexico without being detected.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by 15900

And when exactly did they do that?

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I think he means the Russians, who did that back in August as a demonstration to Cuba. They were trying to negotiate a lease for a new submarine base on the island. So they cruised an older Akula Class sub around the gulf undetected for a few weeks and reportedly weren't detected until they left the area.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by allenidaho

Yeah, there's a lot of "supposedly" and "reportedly" to that story too. It makes a great story for people to say "Look, we need to sink more money into the Navy's ASW program!"

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   

I think he means the Russians, who did that back in August as a demonstration to Cuba. They were trying to negotiate a lease for a new submarine base on the island. So they cruised an older Akula Class sub around the gulf undetected for a few weeks and reportedly weren't detected until they left the area.

So if we detected the Russian sub and followed it, and they did not detect our sub following them, then somehow the Chinese can not be detected?

Do you think our military will announce their presence while following a potentially enemy sub?

The only thing that appears to be 'true' is the Russians had a sub there. There is zero evidence it was not detected.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

So if we detected the Russian sub and followed it, and they did not detect our sub following them, then somehow the Chinese can not be detected?

Do you think our military will announce their presence while following a potentially enemy sub?

The only thing that appears to be 'true' is the Russians had a sub there. There is zero evidence it was not detected.

You are making a lot of speculations here. Who said an American sub was following anybody?

And why would the Chinese bother to enter the Gulf of Mexico when they have no direct access to the Atlantic Ocean? It seems like a very long way to go when they could have served the same purpose by popping up on the West Coast.

It isn't even clear if the Russians were really there or not. But it is at least in the realm of possibility.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

You are making a lot of speculations here. Who said an American sub was following anybody?

And why would the Chinese bother to enter the Gulf of Mexico when they have no direct access to the Atlantic Ocean? It seems like a very long way to go when they could have served the same purpose by popping up on the West Coast.

It isn't even clear if the Russians were really there or not. But it is at least in the realm of possibility.

Maybe you missed the first part. IF they were there, and IF we followed them, we would not announce it. So IF they were there, there is no reason to think we did not know about it. Maybe we did, maybe we did not, the person posted as if it was fact they were there and fact we had no clue.

My post was saying the idea of China doing it easilly undetected should not even be contemplated, as you seem to agree with as well.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I think I read somewhere it comes up as a small fishing boat on radar.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
The Navy has apparently been having problems in negotiations for a composite deckhouse for the third and final ship, the USS Lyndon B. Johnson DDG-1002. They announced they were going to a steel deckhouse for that hull, as well as scaling down the dual band radar suite for the ship.

The U.S. Navy has opted for a steel deckhouse for its next DDG-1000 Zumwalt-class destroyer, after years of touting composite deckhouses as a way to keep the ship lighter and stealthier.

The Navy inked a $212 million contract earlier this month with General Dynamics – Bath Iron Works (BIW) to design and build a steel deckhouse for DDG-1002, the USS Lyndon B. Johnson.

The deckhouse shuffle represents more rough seas for the Zumwalt program. The fleet of ships was initially meant to replace the DDG-51 Arleigh Burke-class ships as the Navy’s primary destroyer force, but the service instead has opted to build only three of the ships; the DDG-1002 is the last scheduled Zumwalt. Instead, the Navy will build more DDG-51s, with plans for advanced Arleigh Burkes slated in coming years.

Source
edit on 8/6/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join