It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it just me or is CNN being intentionally rude/downplaying Felix Baumgartner's jump?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Maybe it's me but these cnn articles seem almost jealous of his new aquired fame.

First there is this article
www.cnn.com...
Skydiver lands safely after historic jump

Okay, nothing wrong with this article, pretty straightforward. But then I saw this article:

www.cnn.com...
How claustrophobia Almost Stopped a Sky Diver

The article says how "Fearless Felix" almost chickened out because his suit was restrictive. I thought that was a bit condescending, he did the jump, didn't he? Maybe if someone had the guts to do the same, then they could nitpick about before jump fears. But that wasn't too bad. Then there was this article,

www.cnn.com...
After spacejump, what's the next big stunt?

Already they seemed anxious for the next big thing, as if they desperately need a distraction from this big stunt.

And then this article, which seems really low even for CNN's standards:
www.cnn.com...

Who Should Play Felix Baumgartner in a Movie?
Forget that the "movie" is already online as the real jump, don't worry that no one but CNN is even contemplating a movie, we need to know who will play Felix! While many of the comments say "Felix should play himself, duh", CNN is wondering if David Beckham or Jonathon Rhys Meyers should play Felix, or maybe Ryan Reynolds. I mean anything to distract from the actual man and the actual jump, right?

edit on 16-10-2012 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Very interesting. Lol at the last article... I hate how they're covering the story while also playing it off as trite. The media nowadays is so stupid it pisses me off. Makes me wonder, are we getting smarter or are most people getting stupider? Who is CNN catering to? How is what they're covering even news? How tha eff did it get to this point D:

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
How do you turn felix baumgartner's jump into a movie?

CNN these days...

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
he jumped. the chute opened

the guys who should get the fame are the engineers who built the ballon and his jump suit

this won't even be a story as early as next week

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Lol indeed at the last article, had to click on it and see for sure it was real. Seems more like tabloids then news articles, isn't surprising coming from that garbage dump CNN. The sooner people tune out from that trash and bankrupt the MSM then maybe governments will start taking citizens seriously, until then you are right where they want you. Perhaps because there is an Austrian flag stitched on his uniform instead of an American one? Wonder how much coverage or exclusive interviews he might of gotten then.

As for criticizing him for being claustrophobic pretty sure I heard the announcer for the event on live stream say he had made a test jump at a lower altitude with a tear in his glove and he decided not to tell the ground team so the jump wouldn't get cancelled. The tear had injured the exposed hand and Felix rolled the dice as to what the possible outcome could of been, yep real scradey cat.

Saw a post the other day calling Felix a world hero and somebody replied with a woopidy doo, not like he cured cancer or walked on the moon, lol. Id imagine he would be a world hero to Austrians, world heroes probably go unnoticed everyday. He may be a hero to some younger people who will look up to him and perhaps want to become an astronaut or contribute to aerospace in some way. In this twisted world we need all the heroes we can get.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

CNN sucks. They are like the trolls of MSM, their entire existence seems to revolve around who they can piss off the most, but usually preferring to do it in a manner that makes readers attack other readers. Their specialty is race.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Maybe because of his statement pertaining to faith in Jesus?
Not something the media likes to elaborate on!

During the press conference following his jump, Felix was asked what he was thinking as he was standing on the step just before his jump. He said,

"Please God, don’t let me down…but if you are standing in His Son’s arm, you know, nothing can go wrong at that moment. That was what I was thinking."

edit on 17-10-2012 by On the Edge because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

I'm thrilled that he made the jump and landed safely. A lot of important data was collected that will be extremely useful. The only problem I have is they are claiming he broke the sound barrier which is not true. He went faster than the speed of sound supposedly but in no way broke the sound barrier. At the 70k feet or whatever altitude he achieved the 8xx mph there wasn't enough atmosphere for his body to "pass through" the sound barrier. I'm concerned about the atmospheric pressures exerted on the body when body breaks the sound barrier at pressure or in common terms "sonic boom". My goal is to solo orbit the earth being launch by small rockets then returning to where I took off under parachute. I wish his body would have went through the barrier so the pressure changes could have been researched. I feel a little let down because his 120k' jump wasn't much different than the other jumps preformed in the past, just a new number. But yeah I can't believe no one is going nuts over this feat. The world should be excited like the other feats we have done in space and aeronautics but I guess with the times no one really seems to care about the amazing things we do on a regular basis.

new topics

top topics

join