It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help With DosBox On Windows 7?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Hello, denizens of ATS. I've come to you today with a problem that has been plaguing me. Years ago, I enjoyed a particular Apogee game called "Monster Bash" ("Graveyard" during development). I loved it for its balance of simplicity and variety...the imagination in the game was outstanding. Now, for nostalgic purposes, I want to revisit that time and place in my heart. Unfortunately, a couple of issues stand in my way.

To start with, Monster Bash was designed for an older operating system - Windows XP is as late a model as I can manage so far. But the computer I normally use features Windows 7. Google has informed me that a program called DosBox can be utilized to create a shell that will allow the game to be executed on a newer OS.

The next issue is DosBox. I have successfully downloaded it, but I can't make heads nor tails of it. I can make my way around software fairly well, but this exceeds my current skills. As a geek, yes, I am ashamed.
The point is, without the necessary working knowledge of DosBox, I can't follow my nostalgic impulses. In addition, I'm not entirely certain as to whether the program will even function with Win 7 to the point of loading the game.

If there are any geeks or computer experts on ATS who are willing to assist me in this matter, I would be very grateful. From one gamer to another... would a 1337 haxxor lend a hand?
Thanks in advance for any help! And try to keep the trolling to a minimum...

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Now given its a DOS game theres alot of possible farting around that can be done, now normally its in the config.sys and autoexec.bat files but it'll probably need alot of pratting around and it wasnt unusual to have different bootups for different programs but have a look at abandonware and perhaps some really old usenet postings and see what comes up

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
windows7themes.net...

Click link, follow directions, play old DOS games.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Im not sure of the exact game that you are talking about but is this the game you speak of? www.classicdosgames.com...

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Vodo34861

You sir, are godly.
Do you know of another site with ALL three episodes or installments?
edit on 16-10-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

This should work for you. www.xtdos.com...

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Hi AI

It is actually fairly easy to use Dosbox. I'm actually an avid nostalgic DOS gamer myself. Abandonia has the best abandonware games IMO.

First thing to do is to extract the game contents into a folder that is reasonably easy to access and that is in a 'top level folder' such as under root c.

Then you have to mount that folder using dosbox.

You have to mount the folder as a drive C using the exact path to that folder.

Type the following syntax in dosbox:

Mount c c:/InsertHereTheFullPathToTheFolder
Press Enter

If you don't get any error messages, type now:
C:/

The directory will now change to C. This directory will now basically contain the content of the game folder if you correctly mapped the drive above.

You can type Dir and press Enter to see the contents of the folder (or Dir/w if the contents are too long for the page). If you need to go into a subfolder, use CD (for Change Directory) and the subfolder's name, and hit Enter.

All you have to do now, is type the name of the program to run it. It is usually a shortened version of the game's name followed by .exe or .com.

And the game should now start. Press Alt + Enter to play in full screen, and have fun!

Let me know if you still have hassles - I can help you with the syntax of the full path name etc

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by shimmeringsilver73

Using DosBox in the manner you described, is it possible to create a mobile drive for accessing that folder? As in, it isn't based in the hard drive of the computer? I'm operating it off a flash drive, that's why I'm asking. Could I mount it in the flash drive?

Also, the program file for the game is compressed, and it's not allowing me to unzip due to the OS on this computer.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Good question! I don't know - I've never tried that.
In theory it should be possible. All you will have to do is change the drive number of your full path.

In other words, if the game is under a folder named DosGame and your flash stick is drive F, you will have to change the syntax of the mount to something like:

Mount c f:/DosGame

(Enter)

(Enter)

GameName

(Enter).

If that doesn't work, do a quick copy over of the folder on your flash drive to the computer. Luckily DOS games are as a general rule quite small by today's standards.

I also don't know how the speed of the game will be affected if playing off a flash drive. DosBox simulates the same game cycles of old computers in order to have it functioning correctly, but if you do experience a lag while playing, you can speed up the cycle rate by pressing CTRL plus + (if I remember correctly).

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Only saw the bit added to your post about the folder compression. Dos games are usually downloaded as a Zip folder.

Do you have Winzip on that computer? If not - you can find a free zip extraction utility by quickly googling it. I have had success too in the past with RAR Extract Frog which could extract both zip and rar files.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by shimmeringsilver73

7zip. Opensource software. And it's giving me a "directory doesn't exist". I have to go to dinner right now, but I'll be back in a half hour or so. I can look more deeply into the matter at that point, with your assistance. It may have to carry over into tomorrow though. The computer I'm using isn't mine, hence the necessity for a mobile drive by which to mount the game.

It might turn out that I can't do it, and I'm willing to accept that possibility. I just figured I'd give it another go, using the power of the ATS techie base to push through any obstacles in my path.
It's not like I'm not used to failing in this area.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
There is a frontend for DOSbox that I use called D-Fend Reloaded. You can download it with DOSbox configured and ready, then it's as easy as dragging and dropping a .zip file of a game into D-Fend and doing much less configuration. Most of the time it will automatically configure everything itself.

You may have to tell the config screen that pops up which file is the right game file, it doesn't always get that right but it's still faster and easier than DOSbox alone. Either way, it's much less of a learning curve and I highly recommend it.

Portability shouldn't be a problem with it either.

D-Fend Reloaded
edit on 16-10-2012 by Noncents because: Added note about portability.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   

I have just successfully mounted a folder on a flash stick by just using the following syntax:
Assuming the game folder is named 'Test':

Mount c f:/test
(Enter)

(Message displays: Directory was successfully mounted to f:/)

Dir
(Enter - to see the contents of your game folder and check that you have mounted the right drive, and to find the executable name of the game)

Noncents gave good advice about D-Fend Reloaded. I'm off to try it myself!

BTW - if you are looking for a good DOS game, try Callahans Crosstime Saloon. I finished it about a month ago. The humour and puzzles are superb, and the storyline will appeal to the general ATS audience.
The ending was a gobsmacker. Download Callahans Crosstime Saloon

top topics

join