It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers: We know what triggers violent volcanic explosions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   

By examining crystal cumulate nodules found in pyroclastic deposits of large eruptions, the researchers discovered that pre-eruptive mixing of cooler magma and younger hotter magma is the likely trigger in violent volcanic explosions.

This pretty great.

If what these guys say is correct this could lead to a lot more breakthroughs in prediction and warning systems.

“These nodules are special because they were ripped from the magma chamber before becoming completely solid – they were mushy, like balls of coarse wet sand. Rims of crystals in the nodules grew from a very different magma, indicating a major mixing event occurred immediately before eruption. Stirring young hot magma into older, cooler magma appears to be a common event before these explosive eruptions,”

I am by no means an expert on volcanoes, I also don't have time too hang around this morning. Hopefully some of our more knowledgeable people can weigh in on this with their opinions. I will be back later in the day.

Source

Enjoy.

Here is a video of an eruption for you viewing pleasure.

edit on 10/14/2012 by 12m8keall2c because: fixed video link

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Lol that video of the volcano erupting is a fake, its off a film.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

thats funny cause soon as i saw that vid i was like "i wonder what the production value of that explosion was." it looked like it was done with flammable liquid(gasoline maybe maybe even cgi?). good call man.
edit on 14-10-2012 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Ha ha,

It's even funnier then, because I found that video on another news source for this story.

Good catch.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Solid rock or is magma metallic.
Subterranean currents might be the heating cause.
Even so with some metallic content there might be non metallic compounds carries along.
Also all matter composed of electrically charged atoms and both metal and non metals
can carry static charges, like Ben Franklin once showed us, who's forces might move
the Earth and planets. So moving great flows of magma might be wave force related and
not cool magma mixing with hot magma. The cool magma must have been heated by
extreme static forces under the Earth. Thus we might be able to detect the flow or waves.

top topics

join