It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NATO makes plans to back Turkey over Syria spillover

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

NATO makes plans to back Turkey over Syria spillover

news.yahoo.com

HACIPASA, Turkey (Reuters) - NATO said it had drawn up plans to defend Turkey if necessary should the war in Syria spill over their border again as dozens of people were killed across the Arab nation on Tuesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.yahoo.com
news.yahoo.com news.yahoo.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Turkey jet crisis unlikely to pull NATO into Syria
Possible NATO invasion on Syria next week
Turkey Attempts to Trigger a NATO-led War against Syria

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Articles 4 and 5 of the NATO treaty state that an attack on any member of the NATO alliance is considered an attack on all members.

Yet, even early on, in June when a Turkish reconnaissance jet was shot down flying a mere mile or so from international waters; most NATO officials and world leaders declared that they would not be supporting intervention.

Turkish Prime Minister Ergodan's patience has been tried over the last 6 consecutive days of Syrian artillery fire landing within the Turkish border.

It was not clear whether the shells hitting Turkish territory were aimed to strike there or were due to Syrian troops overshooting as they attacked rebels to their north.

While Turkey is dealing with this, America is setting up a headquarters in Jordan to attempt to bolster that country's military capabilities in the event that violence escalates along its border with Syria.

U.N. special envoy Lakhdar Brahimi will go to Syria soon to try to persuade the Assad government to call an immediate ceasefire.

The fact that NATO has prepared plans doesn't really amount to much... as they, like most modern military forces, also have plans to attack just about anywhere they might ever have to. It is what military strategic forces do.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
The conspiracy theorist in me is shouting right now.

Is it possible that the attacks on Turkey were staged to make intervention in Syria a more justifiable cause? Much of the burden for support will fall on the US, inevitably. A strong case would be required for any type of major foreign policy decision during the election cycle.

Regardless, I believe NATO should make efforts to stop the violence in Syria.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Turkey should not be a NATO member their actions during the Iraq war: denying land access, killing the Kurds in northern Iraq.

Everyone should stay the hell out of Syria and let them deal their mess in the fist place.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Turkey's move into NATO was a political maneuver.

But NATO is a military alliance... it seems like the result should have been 'expected.'

In all this, it's the Kurds who will be crushed. I expect we'll hear all manner of stories about "whose side they are on."

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Turkey should not be a NATO member their actions during the Iraq war: denying land access, killing the Kurds in northern Iraq.

Everyone should stay the hell out of Syria and let them deal their mess in the fist place.

The Iraq war had nothing to do with NATO.

As for Turkey and Syria and the shootdown there is questions on where that plane was, and NATO has made mention of that.

The latest involved Syrian shelling into Turkey, so Turkey has a right to respond. Nato was consulted because Turkey is a NATO member and under the treaty Turkey's actions are valid. Depending on the circumstances is what determines NATO response.

If a country attacks Turkey, it does NOT automatically mean NATO will use their military to respond. NATO response is based on the needs of the country mn question and what thety ar requesting, whether its direct military assistance, indirect, financial, support, intelligence, etc etc etc.

Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq.... All nations that border Syria and all of those nationshave had Syrian spill over into their territory. Jordan recently had a military exchange with syrian government troops inside jordan.

As for assistance if you dont want NATO invovled fair enough... Then their should be no reason Russia, China and Iran should be supporting Syria then.

Originally posted by Maxmars

But NATO is a military alliance... it seems like the result should have been 'expected.'

In all this, it's the Kurds who will be crushed. I expect we'll hear all manner of stories about "whose side they are on."

I find it, in general, hypocritical (no offense) for people to invoke the Kurdish issue. Where was the sense of concern over the Kurds when Hussein went after them? Or is it acceptable to only care when the issue can be used against the West / NATO / US?
edit on 10-10-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
What's the point of making it public, NATO trying to scare Siria is less expensive than real actions.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Situation certainly heats up. If we are in plans and planes buisness - Turkey just forced Syrian civilian plane flying from Moscow to land in Turkey due to carrying arms.
www.telegraph.co.uk...
I still do not think it will escalate to open war , Assad cannot win this and Turkey will loose more then it will gain.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

The Iraq war had nothing to do with NATO.

True enough but Turkey is a member state who did not allow access, and put that alliance in jeopardy which tells me that "alliance" is only an alliance when it benefits Turkey.

No one is saying Turkey can not "act in their own interest" but that interest is only when that access is convient for Turkey.

As for assistance if you dont want NATO invovled fair enough... Then their should be no reason Russia, China and Iran should be supporting Syria then.

i agree with that

I find it, in general, hypocritical (no offense) for people to invoke the Kurdish issue. Where was the sense of concern over the Kurds when Hussein went after them? Or is it acceptable to only care when the issue can be used against the West / NATO / US?

It most certainly is interventionism by the west is acceptable for anyone, but the kurds.

I saw no national interest being served in Libya, and I do not see any interest being served in Syria.
edit on 10-10-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I would imagine that NATO have plans for any member country coming under attack!!

As for wether Turkey should be a member of NATO because of their stance during the Iraq war, well France shouldn't be either then?

I can't see the war spilling over into Turkey, although there maybe a repeat of stray missiles/rockets going over the border, but unless Syria declares war on Turkey then NATO will not intervene.

What we have to remember here is the fact that Russia has a treaty/pact with Syria. It's the only reason we have not seen a repeat of actions we saw in Libya. If it does kick off, this could well be the spark that ignites, dare I say it? WWIII?

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

True enough but Turkey is a member state who did not allow access, and put that alliance in jeopardy which tells me that "alliance" is only an alliance when it benefits Turkey.

No one is saying Turkey can not "act in their own interest" but that interest is only when that access is convient for Turkey.

Its not just Turkey... NATO, while an alliance, does not supercede the national interest of the country itself. Since Iraq did not directly attack the United States in north America, article IV and V are not going to apply. NATO is a defensive alliance and is restricted to direct attacks in North American and europe and only applies to NATO nations.

Turkey did not agree with Us actions against Iraq and should not be faulted for that position. If we look there were many European countries who did not agree with US actions in Iraq. We are still allies with them so why should it be any different for Turley?

People complain, incorrectly, that the US forces nations to acquiese to US demands. Turkey is a prime example of just how faulty that mindset is.

It most certainly is interventionism by the west is acceptable for anyone, but the kurds.

I saw no national interest being served in Libya, and I do not see any interest being served in Syria.
edit on 10-10-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

While ignoring the fact Libya was lead by the French and British? While ignoring the fact the US administration wanted nothing to do with Libya, which is why France and the UK were forced to elad the charge?

While my last part wass in response to MaxMars the question remains... Why were the Kurds not an issue when saddam attacked them but are now being used as a vice?

As for national interest in Syria where has the US intervened militarily? We sent 135 troops to Jordan to assist, hardly an invasion force. Yet people are silent when Jordan and Iraq beef up their borders... People are silent when Lebanon ignores cross border attacks into their territory.

As for Turkey supplying rebels and people finding it unfair they should think about that position the next time Hamas / Hezzbullah llaunch rockets into Israel.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Things are certainly heating up:

Turkish State TV: Turkey Forces Syrian Airplane to Land at Ankara Airport

BREAKING: Turkish televsion channel NTV reports that "material deemed to be missile parts have been seized" on downed Syrian airliner.

www.breakingnews.com...

The above report cannot be confirmed and could be propaganda, but it also could be true so it is too early to pass judgement but this is interesting to watch unfold.

ETA:

ZeroKnowledge beat me but the link and thread I provided provides a little more info on the matter.
edit on 10-10-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

It would offend me if I had ever failed to care about the Kurdish aspect of this area. When Hussein went after the Kurds, one of our common information sources - the media - failed to care though... so the hypocrisy can be said to be theirs. In this area it appears it is the Kurds who lack the support of any government. They are, in effect, as 'displaced' as the Palestinians - despite the high-minded, silky-sounding words of the "world leaders."

Not invoking the Kurdish element of this regions is rather myopic... like not recognizing the sale of chemical weapons used by the Iraqis when they went after them (and Iran) with the acquiescent blessings of the West.... (Silence is consent.)

If we don't bring it up now... when do we bring it up? (all rhetorical and pejorative of course)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

When Hussein went after the Kurds, one of our common information sources - the media - failed to care though... so the hypocrisy can be said to be theirs.

An excuse worthy of the Obama Administration....

Its always someone elses fault...

In this area it appears it is the Kurds who lack the support of any government. They are, in effect, as 'displaced' as the Palestinians - despite the high-minded, silky-sounding words of the "world leaders."

Which demonstrates the hypocrisy of the Arab nations who have direct contact with the Kurds.

Not invoking the Kurdish element of this regions is rather myopic... like not recognizing the sale of chemical weapons used by the Iraqis when they went after them (and Iran) with the acquiescent blessings of the West.... (Silence is consent.)

Which Syria just recently threatened Turley with.. again political expediency takes precedent over resolve on the issue. Syria is threatening to use the Kurds against Turkey.

Ironic that spending so much time killing them only to support them when its convient.. something the Us is tagged with while its ignored elsewhere.

If we don't bring it up now... when do we bring it up? (all rhetorical and pejorative of course)

It should be brought up firt thing in an effort to find common ground and resolve the issue instead of waiting for conflict and then to only use them as a pawn.

Since the argument is the US should get the hell out of other countries affairs, how is the US responsible for what happens to the Kurds? or the Palestinians? BY extension then how is their invocation now relevant?

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

A little more but not much... Unless its been updated I did not see anything that discussed if in fact weapons were found.

I was surpeised to see Iraq also forced a plane to land for inspection... When did they get an airforce or was that an order over ATC?

As for the argument people are making on who is supplying weapons to whom I would point out Russia and China vetoed any language that prevented arms sales. Whats good for Russia is valid for the west and arab countries opposing assad - yes? no?

link   
opputunists everywhere

iv made up my mind that the turkish leader is a zionist

and i want to say to him...good luck with the kurds..as your next on their list

peace

link   
reply to post by neo96

One could say the same about NATO in the Falklands War, but the truth of the matter is it only concerns defending the North Atlantic (and by extension the Med)..

The Iraq War had nothing to do with NATO and they were not obliged to allow access as they disagreed with the War, as did many other countries inside and outside NATO. It's not as if the US could invoke article 5 as they weren't attacked by Iraq, they were doing the attacking...

What you're saying is that all NATO members are obliged to follow the US into it's follies, no matter where and for whatever reason, which is false. That's the UK's job

This situation though is a clear cut case of them "under attack", which gives them a right to invoke Article 5. The Turks have actually been really restrained on the matter, but there will come a time when they will have had enough, at which point it will be the end of the Assad regime. Turkey could roll over Syria on their own and to be honest, it would probably be best than US/UK ground troops being there and getting accused of being crusaders or after Oil...

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh
opputunists everywhere

iv made up my mind that the turkish leader is a zionist

and i want to say to him...good luck with the kurds..as your next on their list

peace

How did you come to this conclusion? Because of the background of the Turkish leadership and the fact they are not supporting Assad or?

ETA - For those curious about NATO -
North Atlantic Treaty Organization

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

Zionist?

He is from an Islamic party and has actually presided over a severe chilling in Israeli - Turkish relations. If he is a "Zionist", he is the best damn actor in the world..

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Nothing is factual yet, which is why I mentioned that it's unconfirmed. I will make sure to provide any concrete updates in relation to to the situation.

As it stands the a lot of the information is contradictive but that should never be surprising

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join