It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foxnews quotes Romney "With regards to the individual mandate...is essential for bringing the healt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

But the idea of an individual health insurance mandate later appeared in two bills introduced by Republican lawmakers in 1993, according to the non-partisan research group ProCon.org. Among the supporters of the bills were senators Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, and Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, who today oppose the mandate under current law.

So where did this idea of personal responsibility come form anyway? The idea that everyone should be responsible for his or her own personal health?

Foxnews knows;

The mandate, requiring every American to purchase health insurance, appeared in a 1989 published proposal by Stuart M. Butler of the conservative Heritage Foundation called "Assuring Affordable Health Care for All Americans," which included a provision to "mandate all households to obtain adequate insurance."

So it's a CONSERVATIVE idea?!?! As in the GOP? Tea Party conservative? Huh?

Why the vitriol and hatred from those on the right, to a fundamentally CONSERVATIVE idea?

In 2007, a bi-partisan Senate bill authored by Senators Bob Bennett, R-Utah, and Ron Wyden, D-Oregon, contained a mandate

So in 2007, we have Republicans and Democrats, hand in hand, with a plan for personal respnsibilty in Americas healthcare.

In 2007. Remember that date.

In 2009, however, Republican senators declared such a provision “unconstitutional.”

Huh!?!? In 2007, the individual mandate is the product of love between the two parties. In 2009, the GOP says its UNCONSTITUTIONAL? But they just loved the idea a scant 2 years ago.....what could have changed in those intervening years?.......

Someone help me here to understand why a conservative idea is no longer conservative when embraced by the 'other' party.
And oh yeah, the full Romney quote;

“With regards to the individual mandate, the individual responsibility program that I proposed, I was very pleased that the compromise between the two houses includes the personal responsibility mandate. That is essential for bringing the health care costs down for everyone and getting everyone the health insurance they need," Romney says in the video.

Etch a Sketch moment, Obama should bring one to the next debate.

edit on 9-10-2012 by ErEhWoN because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ErEhWoN

Enjoy what has become of politics... A joke. A very costly one I might add.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
No!
Nononono!

The main difference is: if you are really ill, you could get (a) under democratic laws an insurance from any insurance-company as they are denied to deny you as a customer or (b) under republican laws nothing.

Which is of course better. For the companies. And that "trickles" down on you, Joe Lowbrow, yes you, that person over there in .. Tennessee? Kentucky? Whatevs.. *scnr*

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ErEhWoN
So it's a CONSERVATIVE idea?!?! As in the GOP? Tea Party conservative?

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

NEVER make that erroneous generalization again, please. identifying the GOP as being synonymous with Conservatives is akin to saying Westboro Baptist Church is synonymous with Christianity. The GOP may claim to be the keepers of Conservatism, but they ceased being that years ago.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

NEVER make that erroneous generalization again, please. identifying the GOP as being synonymous with Conservatives is akin to saying Westboro Baptist Church is synonymous with Christianity. The GOP may claim to be the keepers of Conservatism, but they ceased being that years ago.

AHHhh, point taken. I would have to agree the GOP plays up their 'conservatism' during campaign season. But their actions in governing diverge from their message.

Democrats are in no means any better. Or any worse.

But the hypocrisy of championing 'personal responsibility', especially Romney, one year and demonizing it when your party loses the presidential election is indicative of why we are in the position we are in at the moment. JMHO>

edit on 10-10-2012 by ErEhWoN because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-10-2012 by ErEhWoN because: spelling

top topics

join