It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA): Evolution, Big Bang ‘Lies Straight From The Pit Of Hell’

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA) tore into scientists as tools of the devil in a speech at the Liberty Baptist Church Sportsman’s Banquet last month.

“All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the Big Bang Theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell,” Broun said. “And it’s lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior.”

According to Broun, the scientific plot was primar
Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA): Evolution, Big Bang ‘Lies Straight From The Pit Of Hell’ ily concerned with hiding the true age of the Earth. Broun serves on the House Science Committee, which came under scrutiny recently after another one of its Republican members, Rep. Todd Akin (R-MO), suggested that victims of “legitimate rape” have unnamed biological defenses against pregnancy.

2012.talkingpointsmemo.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
And people in this country are worried about progressives. How do these braindead moron's get into office. Sad to see how many stupid people would vote for a person like this.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by leosnake

He's just proof that some are not as "evolved" as others.

*snare drum*

edit on 6-10-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

How do these braindead moron's get into office

Braindead, moronic voters...

And it would seem that inbreeding has once again played a role in the demise of common sense.

Woe is us...

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
People actually choose to believe the infinite Universe had a beginning and will have an end are curious. Obvious the current analysis is that stellar objects are in their expansive cycle at this time, at this OBSERVABLE section of the Universe. Just because we don't have the technology to observe nor detect farther away does not mean there is nothing there. Like maybe a part of the Universe the size of our own observable one in contraction.

So what is this that can limit space or time again? The human mental ability of conception means something can't exist?

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
every time some moron like that guy speaks in public, more innocent brain cells from the collective mind of humanity are killed

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten
every time some moron like that guy speaks in public, more innocent brain cells from the collective mind of humanity are killed

A perfect example of hive-mind collective thinking defined by you.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Sadly, you get this kind of thing in a Republic that is for the people by the people. People of all walks of life get their voices heard, even if they are uneducated or uninformed or whatever.

But this is how i like it.

What I don't like is the idea that only certain kinds of people should have their voices heard, and I'm sorry, but i will never support such a thing.

Because those people care only about themselves and their own interests and don't care about anything else.

It is very asinine thing he said and i wouldn't vote for him, but in a society that values free speech, even people with his opinions get to express them. Anything else is hypocritical.

You don't have to like it, you don't have to support or agree with it.

But he still has every right to express them.

And despite how ingratiating this kind of thing is, I'd much rather have it out in the open so I know who to not support and who to not vote for.

What the proper thing to do is counter him with reason and facts to show others how wrong he is.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
And people in this country are worried about progressives. How do these braindead moron's get into office.

it's worse than that - he's on the House Science Committee.....along with Todd Akin, who, I'm sure y'all remember!!

You want a consiracy about science - there's one right there - the Republicans want to destroy the scientific basis of America's prosperity!

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

You want a consiracy about science - there's one right there - the Republicans want to destroy the scientific basis of America's prosperity!

Let's add another one to this thread:

Ala. Chief Justice Candidate: Gay Marriage Will Destroy Nation

The former chief justice, trying to get his old job back, receives applause from Tea Party members after denigrating gays.

BY Neal Broverman -- October 06 2012

Roy Moore, fired from his job as Alabama's most powerful judge in 2003, is scapegoating gays in an effort to get his old job back.

Running to once again be the chief justice of Alabama's supreme court, Moore told a group of Tea Party supporters on Saturday that "same-sex marriage will lead to the ultimate destruction of our country" (no explanation on why that hasn't already happened since marriage equality is legal in six states and Washington, D.C.). His statement received applause. Moore also denigrated the Democratic party for supporting LGBT rights.

Moore is remembered for being booted from the state supreme court nine years ago after refusing to remove a monument to the Ten Commandments from the Alabama Judicial Building. Moore doesn't seem to understand the concept of church and state separation, repeatedly telling his Tea Party supporters how important God is to government.

"Today we've got to go back to that U.S. Constitution," he said. "We've got to go back to the acknowledgment of God for very basic, relative reasons. People have forgotten why we need God. But let me tell you, without God, you have no rights."

www.advocate.com...

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

the Republicans want to destroy the scientific basis of America's prosperity!

And just what exactly is that? Inquiring minds want to know.

Have you been a secret admirer of the Gold Standard? Because that is the closest I can come to a scientific basis for American prosperity.

Oh by the way, the Republican Party seems to be considering the Gold Standard for their party platform, while the Democrat Party has abortion rights and the welfare state for theirs. Something to think about.

www.csmonitor.com...
edit on 7-10-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus

the Republicans want to destroy the scientific basis of America's prosperity!

And just what exactly is that? Inquiring minds want to know.

Have you been a secret admirer of the Gold Standard? Because that is the closest I can come to a scientific basis for American prosperity.

Really? you think the gold standard is a scientific basis for anything???

How about railroads? Mass production? Aircraft design and build? automotive design and build (at least until, say, the 1990's), steel, coal, Atomic energy, the Hoover Dam, Apple computers, Microsoft, IBM, Bell, the GI bill giving a well educated workforce especially engineers and scientists, agriculture, the space programmes......

Those I can see as reasons for US economic prosperity....

The gold standard scientific? You didn't include a smiley so I have to assume you were serious......which is unsurprising on here!

Oh by the way, the Republican Party seems to be considering the Gold Standard for their party platform, while the Democrat Party has abortion rights and the welfare state for theirs. Something to think about.[/quoet]

Yep - another reason to deride hte Reps as backward thinking ignoramuses who have no vision of hte future & no platform other than "the good ol' days" to push.

edit on 7-10-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

psst, that's an economic basis, not a scientific basis....

Ya gotta at least pay attention a little dude

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Really? you think the gold standard is a scientific basis for anything???

How about railroads? Mass production? Aircraft design and build? automotive design and build (at least until, say, the 1990's), steel, coal, Atomic energy, the Hoover Dam, Apple computers, Microsoft, IBM, Bell, the GI bill giving a well educated workforce especially engineers and scientists, agriculture, the space programmes......

Those I can see as reasons for US economic prosperity....

The gold standard scientific? You didn't include a smiley so I have to assume you were serious......which is unsurprising on here!

Yup, the scientific basis of allowing research, production, design, technology and the pursuit of knowledge to further us as a leader in today's world. It's been going on for quite some time. From the Wright brothers bringing us flight, Ford bringing us the assembly line and transportation, the railroads connecting one coast to another, the road systems, the space race, the emphasis on math and science education, those are all part of the scientific standard that we have embraced and what has moved us forward.

We need to return to our emphasis in achievement in math and science, our emphasis in the pursuit of knowledge and our emphasis on preparing the next generation to be leaders in the world instead of concentrating on wars and oil and how we can make more money while leaving our children to fend for themselves.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

you're telling on yourself....I have some science for you to see......it's the out-of-place-artifacts......good video that shows the real history.
for first...scouring like in the grand canyon takes place really fast....and the petrified trees can happen in 800 years...I have more, I could fill volumes, but I'm interested in your thinking right now...

all this from Texas...the home of the creation science museum...I'm tellin' ya, I gots a plenty more. I want you to refuse to be a victim!!

edit on 7-10-2012 by GBP/JPY because: Yahushua is our new King !!

edit on 7-10-2012 by GBP/JPY because: Yahuweh ...coolest of names

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Yeah... this is one of those guys who make me embarrassed to live in Georgia. He is about as far right as they come and he preys upon a particular cultural aspect and truth of the area regarding racial issues.

Atlanta is an example of a city still experiencing the phenomenon of white flight and the result is that the city of Atlanta, itself, is predominantly Black and the suburbs, especially to the north of town, are almost exclusively Caucasian. There is still a lot of racial tension here and this guy preys upon people with fears that should have been put to rest about 160 years ago, but, for some reason, still exist here.

He, ironically, lives in Athens which is sort of a pocket of liberal ideals in that region. But, overall, he panders to an electorate who are largely Caucasian, deeply religious ( evangelicals), and very resistant to change of any kind. Truly an area where you can still find folks who rant about Abraham Lincoln and the evils he perpetrated upon this great country.

I kid you not.

~Heff
edit on 10/7/12 by Hefficide because: typos

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I feel ya! Eastern Kentucky is much the same way. You'll have pockets of "civilization" here and there, then other areas that are almost 100% caucasian and extremely "Bible-beltish". Luckily, there are many who are Christian and Liberal and counter balance the extremists groups.

You can travel 20 miles and feel like you've traveled back in time 150 years. You can have a great little town where people see each other equally, where there is a strong sense of community, where it's downright "old fashioned", much like Mayberry, then the next town over seems like it was the basis for the kkk stereotype.

Even today, you can still hear the phrase "Lee surrendered, I didn't"... I kid you not!

edit on 7-10-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Look, some guy makes a goofy statement about the age of the earth and suddenly all Republicans are denying "the scientific basis" of "American prosperity". One does not have to believe in Darwin's theory of evolution to appreciate the science behind building an airplane. But I find it immensely amusing that while people are declaring Republicans to be against the "Scientific basis of American prosperity", liberals are attacking the corporations which design, build, and market these things. Liberals attack the free market way of making money and profit, and yet say it is Republicans attacking the scientific basis....meaning physics, electronics or whatever else.
So you think that physics is the basis for this prosperity, but not the attitude or the economics. I say our country has been prosperous in spite of the welfare state, the nanny state and fiat money. I think you do not realize the value of the Gold Standard in an economic system. The dollar once was based on the value of gold it represented. We were taken off the gold standard and our currency has been replaced by fiat money printed and printed and printed by those in power, leaving us a mountain of debt, and you are lecturing me about the basis of our prosperity.

Also I would mention that our first Commander in Chief George Washington was at the forefront of the Revolution which allowed for the freedom to pursue this prosperity.
Science is the basis for design of many things, but the freedom to pursue it came with the price of many lives.
edit on 8-10-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

HerpDerp

I'm not even going to legitimize what you said up there by quoting, because the bulk of the text is irrelevant. But really, I just need to ask you this because I'm really curious; what if the person you're replying to isn't a liberal? Because you can attack liberals all you want, and even be right, but that's irrelevant if the person agrees with you.

Basically what I'm saying is that people don't like to eat red herring much, and would appreciate it if you could stay with the topic that was at hand, which was about how elements of the republican party, the element being the god fearing and preaching, praise jesus culture preying upon sort, seem to denigrate scientific progress and yet hold an economic position that has only been made possible by that very same scientific progress.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Look, some guy makes a goofy statement about the age of the earth and suddenly all Republicans are denying "the scientific basis" of "American prosperity". One does not have to believe in Darwin's theory of evolution to appreciate the science behind building an airplane. But I find it immensely amusing that while people are declaring Republicans to be against the "Scientific basis of American prosperity", liberals are attacking the corporations which design, build, and market these things. Liberals attack the free market way of making money and profit, and yet say it is Republicans attacking the scientific basis....meaning physics, electronics or whatever else.
So you think that physics is the basis for this prosperity, but not the attitude or the economics. I say our country has been prosperous in spite of the welfare state, the nanny state and fiat money. I think you do not realize the value of the Gold Standard in an economic system. The dollar once was based on the value of gold it represented. We were taken off the gold standard and our currency has been replaced by fiat money printed and printed and printed by those in power, leaving us a mountain of debt, and you are lecturing me about the basis of our prosperity.

Can you post a youtube video on one of these alleged attacks on corporations?

I swear you hear exactly what you want to hear and make up the rest as you go along.

Liberals are concerned with how the decisions of corporations effect America and our lives,
sort of how you feel about government.

Did you notice that many corporations robbed America in 2008? Do you think that was
a good thing, are liberal evil for noticing it?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join