It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Giver

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 02:37 AM
link   
My mom picked this book up for me the other week and wow it was awsome. It usually takes something that i am absolutly interested in to mkae me read a book and this was it. I cant tell you much about it becouse it will give to much a way but its almost like a book of when sensoring and controle over take humanity, but not in that futuristic terminator type way. Every one should give it a read. The Giver.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Was that the book where the old man taught the kid to see in color because he was the only person who could? And everyone in their town had a different name? Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
It's an excellent book. I read it when I was a kid and have read it several times since. Probably the best book I read as a child.

it's like a version of Brave New World written for the younger crowd... A sedated society, each assigned to a job at 12, with no deviation allowed. All of society is drugged to supress 'urges', the weather is controlled, as is everything else. Jonas is to be the new Giver, which is the person within the society that retains memories of times past, times like ours. He begins to experience things that don't exist in his society any longer.. in short, he begins to wake up.

fantastic.

new topics

join