It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran to enrich uranium to 60 percent if nuclear talks fail

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Source(reuters)

Iran would enrich uranium up to 60 percent purity if negotiations with major powers over its nuclear program fail, an Iranian lawmaker said on Tuesday, in comments that may add to Western alarm about Iranian intentions.

Mansour Haqiqatpour, deputy head of parliament's Foreign Policy and National Security Committee, said 60 percent enrichment would be to yield fuel for nuclear submarines, which often require uranium refined to high levels.

But it would also take Iran another significant step closer to the 90 percent enrichment level needed to make atomic bombs, which the West suspects is the Islamic state's ultimate aim. Iran says its nuclear program is for peaceful energy only.

First they started to enrich their own uranium. That was okay because all they wanted was to produce their own fuel rods and not depend on other countries for supplies.

Then, they started to go beyond 5%, but that was also okay because all they want is medical supplies for cancer treatment, and didn't want to depend on other countries for supplies...

They achieved 20% enrichment, and went as far as to add thousands of new centrifuges. But that's also okay, because it's all about nuclear energy and medical supplies.

Now Iran itself is saying that they will enrich 60%, but I guess that's also okay because all they want is to fuel their own submarines with nuclear power.

Oh, the barbarity... Can you imagine those poor sick people going without their nuclear submarines to cure cancer, or whole populations without their own nuclear submarine to generate power?

I don't have much doubts about Iran's intentions. Do you?
edit on 2-10-2012 by GarrusVasNormandy because: Corrected

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Intentions are clear , Iran will suffer in near future , the bad thing is the common people will suffer most, i'm sure those religious nutcases already have good underground bunkers.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
In other news, Iran sends a toy model of a pink drone to president Obama (being that it is his favorite color and all...)

Oh man... They can't make this stuff up. It's like it's unfolding all according to plan...

www.youtube.com...

rt.com...
edit on 2-10-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
If I were them I'd just come right out and say "hell yes we are building nuclear weapons because we're sick and tired by getting pushed around and controlled by other nations that not only already have them, but have USED them against INNOCENT PEOPLE in the past"

Despite the constant pummeling we are getting with regards to deliberate misinterpretations of statements made by Ahmadinejad, Iran has every right to defend itself.

Israel and the US are really the most opposed to this... ironic that between the two of them they could blow the world to smithereens 50x over, and one of them already tried

link   

Originally posted by boncho
In other news, Iran sends a toy model of a pink drone to president Obama (being that it is his favorite color and all...)

Oh man... They can't make this stuff up. It's like it's unfolding all according to plan...

www.youtube.com...

rt.com...

I don't understand what the drone incident has anything to do with this thread...

Maybe that was your point?...

link   
reply to post by GarrusVasNormandy

Even I have to admit for all my efforts to see things other than Nuclear Weapons....if they DO turn to producing 60% pure stuff....Well, I can't much make the arguments in good conscience anymore. That's so far above what's actually required for anything they're claiming to be doing....and mass producing fuel for other nations as I think they're planning to do doesn't require purity changes, it's just not really debatable at that point....OR....they are working with nuclear technology and something truly new or different....and the time to share that info is coming real quick, IMO.

The scary point is though, Israel doesn't suddenly get bigger. It's still TOO small to use Nuclear weapons against for what anyone would want to hit with them....and NOT totally obliterate the most Holy sites in Islam for that area.

So.... If they spit in everyone's eye and turn to what sounds a hell of a lot like 'weapons or bust' for a program motto, just who are those weapons intended FOR? If not for Israel on geographic issues...who would Iran want to drop a few down the throat of? Making stupid threats like this could bring everything they want to avoid. Real quick too....
The Saudis as just one example, have repeatedly said if Iran goes to weapons, so are they and as soon as they can make it happen for a program to build some. Bad times....

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Wow, what an original post. Could Iran want a nuclear bomb just like the U.S., China, Great Britain, France, Russia, Pakistan, India, Brazil, North Korea, and Israel? How scary! lol.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIWATT
If I were them I'd just come right out and say "hell yes we are building nuclear weapons because we're sick and tired by getting pushed around and controlled by other nations that not only already have them, but have USED them against INNOCENT PEOPLE in the past"

Despite the constant pummeling we are getting with regards to deliberate misinterpretations of statements made by Ahmadinejad, Iran has every right to defend itself.

Israel and the US are really the most opposed to this... ironic that between the two of them they could blow the world to smithereens 50x over, and one of them already tried

If the use you are referring to are the bombs used in Japan during WW2, they weren't innocent. Civiliams were killed, but the objective of both bombs was to scare Japan into surrender and prevent an extended war in their own backyard.

Iran has the right to defend itself, but it doesn't have the right to have nuclear weapons. They signed the NPT and are members of the IAEA.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by trysts

Wow, what an original post.

When you make a post bigger than two lines and with relevant information, you are allowed to mock mine.

Could Iran want a nuclear bomb just like the U.S., China, Great Britain, France, Russia, Pakistan, India, Brazil, North Korea, and Israel? How scary! lol.

Do you even know what the NPT is?

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Bombs and disagreements aside
This is for sure

They can no longer argue that their nuclear ambitions are purely peaceful
I mean come on .....a nuclear sub.....that's a tool of war

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
why isn't iran allowed to have nuclear subs, when america and friends can.

last time i checked, having a sub doesn't violate international law, so what difference does it make what powers it.

america isn't ruler of the world, it can't tell another sovereign state what it can and can't do.

that's how wars start.

they can develop a 1000 nuclear weapons. if they aren't used its redundant.

if they do use them, it'll mean the end of their entire civilization.

that's a heavy price to pay because you don't like israel.

the reason the west doesn't want iran to have nuclear weapons is because they'll get the exclusive "do what every you want card" that makes you a global super power.

they can prance around the world and take what ever they want from other non-nuclear nations knowing they can't do squat to stop you.

they'll join the global wolf pack, and as long as they don't take food from each other, there'll be little chance of global nuclear war.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by GarrusVasNormandy
Iran has the right to defend itself, but it doesn't have the right to have nuclear weapons. They signed the NPT and are members of the IAEA.

They signed the NPT, but it seemed to help not at all. Doesn't that guarantee them the right to develop nuclear technology for power generation? Show me the point where they were allowed to actually do that. If they never were allowed to do that (without harassment, constant threat, and apparent sabotage from external elements), then the agreement was already defunct. In fact, it starts to look like a piece of paper that gives no rights to the signatory at all... and maybe gives everyone else the right to attack them for anything they deem (apparently contrary to the reports of their inspectors) to be in any way remotely associated with possibly being in some way connected to the idea of a bomb.

Is the NPT simply a trap to keep signatory countries from developing anything nuclear?

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by trysts

Wow, what an original post.

When you make a post bigger than two lines and with relevant information, you are allowed to mock mine.

Could Iran want a nuclear bomb just like the U.S., China, Great Britain, France, Russia, Pakistan, India, Brazil, North Korea, and Israel? How scary! lol.

Do you even know what the NPT is?

It's really sad how people eat up the "nuclear issue". Who would have thought that an "alternative" site would have so much idiotic propaganda being headlined? Iran hasn't broken any rules regarding the Non-Proliferation Treaty. Many countries have nuclear reactors, and some have nuclear bombs. Can't you see the "nuclear issue" is fake? Don't you know that Iran is quite capable of destroying Israel today, without a nuclear bomb? Fake, fake, fake.

Poor dear, the U.S. and Israel want to control as many governments as they can in that region. It's not about the "nuclear issue", it's about hegemony. Even I know that.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I found something to add about the NPT and Iran. This is from the Council on Foreign Relations site and as much as I figure many here have against them (Not my favorite people either), I think this page deserves a close look. Not only for what they confirm below on the NPT and Iran, but the LONG list of itemized examples of Weapons-Grade material/nuclear "issues" being located in Iran. All over Iran to hear them tell it...... They could make a weapon any day!

Except.... Err... This page and set of information is from 2004. Now, first, what I figure is basic interpretation of law and treaty and likely to be entirely accurate.

Under the section: Is Iran's behavior governed by the NPT?

It's supposed to be. Iran signed the NPT as a non-nuclear state in 1968 and ratified it in 1970, when Iran was ruled by the Shah Reza Pahlavi, a close ally of the United States. After it was caught in what looked like violations of its NPT commitments last fall, Iran agreed to a much stricter Additional Protocol imposed by the IAEA, which called on it to suspend all uranium-enrichment and reprocessing activities, stop production of material for enrichment processes, and halt imports of enrichment-related items. Under the Additional Protocol, Iran must declare any plans to build centrifuges and must allow international inspectors expanded access to its facilities.

and under: Is it possible that Iran wants nuclear capability for peaceful purposes?

According to the NPT, Iran may build any nuclear facility, including uranium enrichment plants to create nuclear fuel, as long as the facility is devoted to peaceful uses and subject to IAEA safeguards and inspections.
Source

Now there is more to that last section, and the overall report is strongly slanted to making Iran sound on the verge of having a weapon. However, I need to ask here...some of those reports of WEAPON GRADE material or evidence being found date to 2003/04. Wow... Really? 9 years they've supposedly had weapons grade material and one report placing some with signature elements from the Russian stockpile too.

Either we're being heavily snowed by the fact Iran already HAS working weapons, in which case they haven't used them and the urgency is B.S. as much as it would be for Pakistan or India ...who have them and are also, always on the verge of war. Or.... We're being snowed by these mysterious reports of weapons grade material that just strangely never materialize into a weapon. How could they have had the material that long ago, and NOT have a weapon by now?

Oh there is far far too much here that smells and is anything but clear to even joke about starting a war, IMO. This is nuts.. Screen Capture that site if people can... It's such a statement to the B.S. then vs. now, it's breath taking and I hadn't seen it until checking something related to this thread.

edit on 2-10-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: minor correction.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I was going to post a comment in this thread about my views, but I honestly, you're either one of those people who think Iran are great guys who haven't invaded anyone since forever and "if America/Israel has nukes/nuke subs why can't Iran"

or

you're one of the people who realise that Iran constantly attack Israel via Hezbollah and threaten to wipe them off the face of the map on a weekly basis, and at the end of the day think an Armageddon wouldn't be too bad as they get their Mahdi and 70 odd virgins in their little place in the sky.

America used nukes to end a war, Israel uses nukes to prevent a war, and Iran wants nukes to start a war. That's why these naughty Muslims can't and will not have nukes.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by trysts

It's really sad how people eat up the "nuclear issue".

What is even more sad to witness is people being completely ignorant to the reality of the "issue" and then talking down with arrogance just because someone has a different opinion than you.

Who would have thought that an "alternative" site would have so much idiotic propaganda being headlined?

Who are you to pass that judgment?

The title of the thread matches the title of the article, and you would know that if you cared to read the source instead of making arrogant comments about other person's threads.

ATS is a place for discussion in order to find the truth, and part of that discussion is to start an argument over an issue. You have yet to make any contribution, but you aren't shy about judging and criticizing blindly other people you don't even know.

Iran hasn't broken any rules regarding the Non-Proliferation Treaty.

No, they don't have a nuke. But the NPT, after being signed, is to be respected. And to respect the NPT, nations that do not have nuclear weapons, aren't meant to get any. That's the whole point. Nations with nukes reduce their stock - in an utopia, back to 0 - and nations who do not have any agree not to obtain or develop them.

If Iran gets a nuke, they are in immediate violation of the NPT, and if they are developing one they are also under violation of the treaty. The whole discussion in current politics is around the possibility of Iran developing any nuclear weapons.

That's why it's so complicated. There isn't any outrageous violation, but there could be one in the future.

Many countries have nuclear reactors, and some have nuclear bombs. Can't you see the "nuclear issue" is fake?

Fake?

I advise you to google "Iran nuclear weapons program 2003", and check what appears from credible sources like the IAEA. Iran had a nuclear weapons program, but claim to have halted it.

Some people have the opinion they stopped it completely. Some people have the opinion they might be developing nuclear weapons in secret with the help of North Korea. There are theories that North Korea has nukes from China and that the tests being done are with Iran's developed nukes. It's known they cooperate on developing military missiles.

The side that seems right might be harder to contemplate, but the problem is far from fake.

Don't you know that Iran is quite capable of destroying Israel today, without a nuclear bomb? Fake, fake, fake.

Actually, they aren't. Syria learned that the hard way, and gave up attacking them directly.

And Iran does attack Israel constantly, but they do it by proxy with groups like Hezbollah. Again, the connections are well known.

Besides, attacking Israel is attacking an allied of the US. And Iran can't face the US.

Poor dear, the U.S. and Israel want to control as many governments as they can in that region. It's not about the "nuclear issue", it's about hegemony. Even I know that.

Any superpower wants to control everybody else. That's why Russia wants ex-soviet nations to follow their political agenda (Georgia?), and that's why China wants back so many "sacred" territories. That's also why the Arab League wants certain religious rules in certain countries. I guess you don't know that.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
This comment from Iran is the Green Light Israel were looking for. They now have a smoking gun they could never find with Satellite images. Iran saying they will develop Weapons Grade Uranium. I guess the West will soon beat their war drums and go heading for Iran now.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Once you start reading the information about this issue, Iran isn't as innocent as some people claim they are. If you were to believe some of the posts in ATS regarding Iran, you would assume that they are the perfect victims of propaganda and the unjust accused of bad intentions and actions.

But, after reading tons of stuff that they have done, are doing, or plan to do, I think their attitude is concerning. Even if you cut all the crap that the US government or Israel spit at each-other about Iran, after you look at several violations that Iran made in the past, I simply cannot trust them.

They had a nuclear program, but at the time said they weren't going with it anymore. Then, more recently they portray their nations as a country that opposes nuclear weapons, and the Ayatollah even says they are immoral. If they are immoral, why were they being developed in the past decade? Iran started to hide their facilities around the time Iraq was invaded by the US. To some people, that is just them playing careful. To me, it seems like they noticed that fooling around can get you killed, and the best strategy is to hide it from plain sight, and stall any investigation by the IAEA.

Iran is a member of the IAEA, and if they obey the rules and legislation they can have all the peaceful nuclear programs they want. That's the main objective of the IAEA, to provide help to countries that want nuclear energy, by not allowing them to pursue nuclear weapons. It's a condition needed to be in the IAEA, that it's only used for energy, not bombs.

If that's the reality of the IAEA, why hide it? From Israel? If they cooperate with open doors the IAEA will state they do not have any possibility of developing nukes because all activities are monitored. But if they start making underground facilities, putting there centrifuges that weren't declared, or starting to build reactors without telling the IAEA, that's a good motive to be cautious about them.

Cooperation with the IAEA = a huge stamp on your country that prohibits Israel from touching you because there is a record that you are innocent.

If you want to do some research, I advise you to look up the connections between North Korea and Iran, in terms of military cooperation and activities.

Under the theory that North Korea is helping them, Iran could be hiding their nuclear program with distance, by developing their nukes inside North Korea's territory. They are at least cooperating on building missiles, and have cooperated with delivering weapons to Syria.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

www.youtube.com...

rt.com...

I don't understand what the drone incident has anything to do with this thread...

Maybe that was your point?...

While this whole Nuclear Days of Our Lives is developing, Iran, the antagonist in the whole story, has captured a US drone, modelled it as a children's toy and sent a pink version to the President of the United States citing it is "his favourite colour".

I don't know, maybe it's not related at all if you don't think about it....

Maybe it is...

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Once you start reading the information about this issue, Iran isn't as innocent as some people claim they are.

And? Nobody honestly thinks they are innocent, that's not the point anymore. Why does the West have to continuously send their best and brightest young folks over there to DIE?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join