It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush admits to draft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Bush stumbles on military draft

Sat Oct 16, 5:34 PM ET

Add to My Yahoo! U.S. National - AFP

DAYTONA BEACH, United States (AFP) - US President George W. Bush (news - web sites) surprised his listeners at a campaign rally by seeming to oppose, then favor, then oppose replacing the all-volunteer US military with a draft.

Photo

AFP Photo

Aides had alerted reporters to expect "new language" in Bush's routine rejection of Democratic rival John Kerry (news - web sites)'s warnings that the Iraq (news - web sites) war has so strained the US armed forces that compulsory military service may be around the corner.

"Our all-volunteer army will remain an all-volunteer army," Bush began, to cheers from supporters here in Florida, the richest prize among the dozen or so states up for grabs in the November 2 election.

"My opponent seems to be willing to say almost anything he thinks will benefit him politically," he said. "After standing on the stage, after the debates, I made it very plain we will not have an all-volunteer army."

"And yet this week..." he continued, before suddenly realizing the gaffe and shouting: "We will have an all-volunteer army."

"Let me restate that: We will not have a draft. No matter what my opponent tries to tell people and scare them, we will have an all-volunteer army," promised the president, who is known for frequent verbal stumbles.

"The only person talking about a draft is my opponent. The only politicians that supported a draft are democrats, and the best way to avoid a draft is to vote for me," he said.
Yahoo News

Or did he just misspeak? You just can't tell with this guy. Does he mean what he says? Or says what he means?

I would like to thank edslinger, interearthling, and gradyo' for giving me the courage to post this thread.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Obviously, this is a misspeak. The draft is a figment of bloggers' imaginations and the product of a democratic senator's wet dreams. The fact that Rummy even was the one to get rid of the draft, then try to shove this down our throats as gospel. It's an attempt at putting the Republican party on the defensive after enjoying so much success against Kerry, thanks in large part to his refusal to let the Vietnam issue die, and the exploitation of such by the Swifties. It's not going to work. The draft is dead, and only Democrats voted for it when it wass introduced.

This was a simple misspeak, nothing more. People do it all the time, no matter how much certain groups wish it wass something more. Bush is famous for flubbing phrases. That's all this was. Anything more would be just wishful thinking.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Misspeak?
of course.

A liberals wet dream? Let me tell you something. As much as I despise your Bush man i would hope he's telling the truth for the sake of my sons, nephews, cousins and everyone in my family and all those i know and care about. When people say that Bush will bring the draft, I dont care what party the're from, they are seriously hoping and praying this isnt so. The reason "liberals" say this is BECAUSE BUSH DOES AND STOPS AT NOTHING AND DOESNT THINK OF ANY OF THE ACTIONS HE TAKES. HE WOULD BE MORE THAN WILLING TO SEND YOUR SONS AND DAUGHTERS TO HIS FIASCO OF A WAR. WITHOUT ANY THOUGHT.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 12:25 AM
link   
My God, he just put THAT one to rest alright.

"After standing on the stage, after the debates, I made it very plain we will not have an all-volunteer army."

"And yet this week..." he continued, before suddenly realizing the gaffe and shouting: "We will have an all-volunteer army."

THANK YOU G-DUB!

He really could debate himself. :shk: Got tape of this one out yet?

Rove's head probably exploded when he said that. Good. Hope he sent a shock up George's training harness back piece to punish him.

George W. Bush: "I made it very plain we will not have an all-volunteer army."

THAT'S another one of them there EXAGERATIONS! YAY FOR TV!

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 12:50 AM
link   
he seems to 'mis-speak' alot...that is ok for a retail clerk, gas station attendant but not for the pres.......that is unacceptable..no wonder nobody seems to like him...or the other 'mis-speaker' running for pres of the world...oh wait...they are running for pres of the u.s..........hmmmm

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 01:10 AM
link   

You realize this is all right on the heels of RNC Chairman Ed Gilespe firing off a threatening cease and desist letter to ROCK THE VOTE to stop linking to discussions of the draft from their non partisan website?

Definitely protesting a bit too much I'd say.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 01:56 AM
link   
To get Iraq to a peaceful place we will have to add more troops.

Otherwise we cut and run.

Iraq is deteriorating.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Isn't there enough to criticize Bush about without resorting to playground tactics of inventing charges against him?

Come on, this isn't someone you have to labor hard to find things to complain about yet groups still have to claim he wants a draft to get people to dislike him? Is the state of politics so pathetic that the only way to get someone to vote is to make believe your opponent wants to take your kids away and bring up old fears the the boomers grew up with?

new topics

top topics

join