It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which came first - the chicken or the egg?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by tvtexan

Egg came first of course. And to answer your question. Hen (female chickens) lay eggs all the time. Whether they become chickens later means a rooster must be involved. A hen alone is where the store bought eggs come from.
Therian

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
The first chicken and the first chicken egg were produced at the same time. Chicken in the first egg, egg outside the first chicken.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
The first chicken and the first chicken egg were produced at the same time. Chicken in the first egg, egg outside the first chicken.

Interesting.

However, some might argue that before hatching it is not fully a chicken. Others might say it is a chicken even within the egg.

So the question becomes: would you support a hen's right to terminate an unhatched egg? Or would you say that this would be poultricide?

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Maybe a better question would be: Why did the chicken cross the road?

A: To prove to the opossum that it could be done.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Just to clarify from the OP, although the responses have been great - the "egg" in the question is an allegory for the moon as the progenitor of life on earth within the context of the unique and rather extraordinary earth/moon/sun relationship, the aim being to point a sturdy finger at the very real prospect of intelligent design. What's amuzing imho, is that the atheist would be forced to argue that it's just a fluke or a coincidence by saying simply that that's just the way it is, and citing the strong anthropic principal, that if it wasn't the way it is, we would not even be posing the question, since life on earth as we experience it would not be possible otherwise. However, on further inspection and examination, that is an unscientific answer, for reasons to be explored later. Anyway, I suppose I didn't provide enough info with the context presented, so stay tuned for a future thread to be presented before the end of 2012 in regards to this great quandry and the evidence for super-intelligent design, to be called "A Strange Moon in Paradise". It will blow surely your mind.

You aint seen nuthin yet..

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

If intelligent design then the first chicken had the first egg in it at creation point and the question was laid to men to see what they will say here...
if not then, just like the world will never know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop...neither will we

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
In context...

Earth first, because the dimension of the Moon is derived from Earth. Proper alignment and distance of the Moon depends on Earth location, gravity etc etc. The arth form first then Moon created to accompany it from the leftover, perhaps.

Dinosaur first, chicken evolved from the dinosaurs thus dino first, if further studied, the fish is the winner and yet under microscope, amoeba is the real grandad of things.

For you question, obviously its chicken, you type it first.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

What if they came at the same time ?

it's possible. Just ask the Kama Sutra

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Earth/sun/moon - I don't have time to post the total number of "coincidental" factors involved, but even from the OP (watch the vid too) one can discern how, of the three objects, two were made based on the dimensions of one, and I'm convinced it was the moon believe it or not. Even to this very day, there still isn't a suitable explanation for the formation of the moon, including the "Big Whack" theory aka The Giant Impact Hypothesis and Collision Ejection or the Intact Capture Theory (where the moon was a roaming roague body) which must be discarded both because of how slowly such an object would be required to be moving to "dock" with earth orbit and, more importantly because oxygen isotopes of rocks both on the moon and on earth prove conclusively that they originated at the same distance from the sun, which could not be the case if the moon was formed elsewhere. There is also evidence which may suggest that the moon is about 500 million to a billion years older than the earth, at least according to the oldest rocks found at both locations.

I'm telling you there's a big time mystery here which definitely points to intelligent design.

edit on 27-9-2012 by NewAgeMan because: typo

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

I believe it is something like what scientist projected - naturally occurred. I haven't watch the vid and will not.
I believe the moon was Earth companion during its formation aeons ago. For such precise occurrence to happen I believe it have to do with centrifugal force. Distance from center appropriated with mass. Works of gravity - thus natural occurrence.

To suddenly put such a celestial bodies in orbit it require immense calculation due to gravitational factor. If moon was created later it might wobble the Earth, might be Mars orbit affected, might plunge the Earth towards sun etc etc.

If Earth created later than the moon, how do you make it circle the earth ? Let alone the probability it might be destroyed during earth creation. I agree with you about captured moon, it require something like Jupiter to be able to capture it. Plus moon is moving away from us.

About moon older than earth, I believe they got it wrong, dating the moon according to its dust is kinda stupid. They are dating the meteorite dust actually. Why would intelligent species create moon/earth when they can just seed any planet they want, the result species will know life comes from somewhere else anyway, its pointless.

Conclusion: I believe moon once part of earth during formation, just like dumbbells with 1 side bigger than the other. Due to weird dimension and centrifugal force, it broke and split in to 2 halves yet still close. Few billion years later... they are 2 different celestial bodies and with weaker gravitational force - moon dead.

To support my argument, moon was closer to earth in pre-dinosaur era. With tides spanning hundreds kilometer into inland every few hours, thus explains why the blue-green algae rule the earth. How come it so close to earth unless... they are 1 before this, or at least very near each other.

Impact theory - hmm I not really sure, but once I tried mateor calculation, earth was destroyed on direct hit. On near miss, earth might not capture it at all.

Well, thats my theory anyway

edit on 27-9-2012 by NullVoid because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Out of curiosity, how do you arrive at the conclusion that it must be intelligent design? In case you might wish to argue for a bit...

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Doesn't really matter which one came first, what's important is that I'm here now!

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder

Interesting.

However, some might argue that before hatching it is not fully a chicken. Others might say it is a chicken even within the egg.

So the question becomes: would you support a hen's right to terminate an unhatched egg? Or would you say that this would be poultricide?

Interesting choice of words.
Did you know that if you kill your father, it's Patricie. If you kill your mother, it's Matricide. If you kill your brother, it's fratricide.
now, if you kill your sister.....
It's Pesticide

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

Does this means there are traces of pesticide in eggs ?
Whoa and it comes conveniently in shells!

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by NullVoid
reply to post by PurpleChiten

Does this means there are traces of pesticide in eggs ?
Whoa and it comes conveniently in shells!

YUP!

for the purpose of the thread, the chicken actually came first.

The reason is, only a chicken can lay a chicken egg, therefore the egg is the product of the reproductive action of the chicken. The egg that the first chicken hatched from wasn't a chicken egg, it was another type of egg with a mutation present that resulted in a chicken.

If that "chicken" had come out sterile, regardless of chicken-like qualities, it would not have technically been a chicken because it could not produce offspring to create the species.

Until a species is able to propogate, it's not an actual species, it is only a mutation of an existing species.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by tvtexan

Originally posted by jude11
The Rooster ALWAYS comes first...

Peace

What's real funny is that when OTHERS post stuff like that they get visited by the mods.

As for the question in the OP,
What if the eggs and chickens are all of the same sex?

Would two female chickens, or two male chickens, be able to produce an egg?

Harmless fun is never a reason for Mods to visit.

As for the question, I believe everything came from the Oceans and just evolved...from the tiniest micro-organisms to everything we have today. What about the issue of birds having evolved from Dinosaurs?

If that's the case then it rules out the egg/chicken question altogether IMO. Or take it back even further and we have to have an egg from the ocean to begin the entire cycle.

But, I like my rooster joke...

Peace

bang on the button and only one flag for the right answer make that two

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join