It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Avaaz - Largest global web movement allowing you to voice your concerns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I was not going to make thread about this but I feel it is much too important to pass by. I recently learned about this organization called Avaaz, which means "voice" in middle eastern, Europe and Asian countries. Using the internet, it allows 16 million members in 194 countries to contribute instantly, causes worth demonstrating for. Electronic signatures are gathered to sign petitions or you may start your own petition.

Here's what they have to say.

Avaaz empowers millions of people from all walks of life to take action on pressing global, regional and national issues, from corruption and poverty to conflict and climate change. Our model of internet organising allows thousands of individual efforts, however small, to be rapidly combined into a powerful collective force. (Read about results on the Highlights page.)

The Avaaz community campaigns in 15 languages, served by a core team on 6 continents and thousands of volunteers. We take action -- signing petitions, funding media campaigns and direct actions, emailing, calling and lobbying governments, and organizing "offline" protests and events -- to ensure that the views and values of the world's people inform the decisions that affect us all.

It turns out, they have a pretty good track record and have accomplished quite a bit since 2007. Very nicely laid out website showing breaking petitions from around the world as they come in on the fly. For example:

In just 3 weeks, over 3 million of us worldwide signed a petition opposing a scandalous bill that would give the US government the right to shut down any website – targeting sites like YouTube, WikiLeaks and even Avaaz! We worked with other organisations such as DemandProgress, and President Obama’s team responded. Avaaz organised a 1 hour meeting with top White House officials to deliver the petition. The White House subsequently condemned the bill and key backers withdrew their support. As of right now, the Internet censorship bill is dead in the water. When we started, everyone told us the bill could not be stopped, now it’s been ditched by both parties -- a huge win for internet freedom and for people power! See more

Here's just a quick list of some of the trending petitions happening now:
-Freedom for Sevil Sevimli
-Petition for the dismantling of Monsanto
-For justice to change its decision against Kokopelli!!
-Save South Africa's Rhinos

Not to mention, a great informative spread of headlines, topics, news stories and causes collected from around the world. Things I would have never been aware of. Like this...

There's hope on climate change! China's invested billions in solar energy, making it almost as cheap as fossil fuels. But the US and EU, who give billions to big oil, may slap tariffs on chinese solar panels, preventing a green revolution. Sign the petition to stop this madness, and save solar: Take action now

So now there is finally a medium we can use to voice our concerns and its easy. Either sign a petition or start your own.

www.avaaz.org...
www.avaaz.org...

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Like anything I hope the potential I see for abuse won't happen. I remember before FB came out I read an article that it was a Government sponsored web-site to track and research. I tried to get the word out to no avail.

Anyways....I see that it is garnering positive results...good to hear. I think this is a very important medium so your right...Thankyou for getting us the info.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Bump. No one is seeing this.

new topics

join