It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese War Sword-Holy Crap that thing is awesome! Pics and Vid

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
reply to post by ga-`tv-gi

Gotta have the right technique. For swords like katanas you need to use the wrist to keep even pressure with the strike so that the blade once cleaved into the medium gets drawn like a saw forwards or backwards ( depending on the strike used) to slice the object in half. Ie watch any samurai sword I. Slow motion when it's cutting something and you'll see the wrist apply pressure to make sure the sword drags across the cut.

Also the angle of the lads is very important. Have to make sure you're hitting straight on to the surface. The angle used will have to coincide with the angle of the surface to be cut.

Never mind I shot it

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd

This is an interesting topic, i must look more into it as soon as i return home to my computer.

Marking this now to remind me later

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ga-`tv-gi

Great minds think alike! I put a .308 hornady tap round through the second xbox360 I Purchased that went red ring of death on me in under a year. Wanted to post it on YouTube under red ring of death so it would be the first thing everybody saw if they googled red ring of death

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLaughingGod
reply to post by subject x

Yeah, I read somewhere long ago that they would try out katanas on prisoners, and that they would discard them if they couldn't cut through x amount of bodies.

Awesome video, boys will be boys..

In ye olde Japan the most notable method for testing a freshly made blade was on cadavers of executed criminals. This was officially conducted by professional test cutters, called 'shi-to-ka', and the practice was generally termed 'tameshigiri', which has evolved into modern day Iaido practice of test cutting straw mats.

As for discarding the blade? Well there is a case of one shi-to-ka committing hara kiri after he made a poor cut on a dead body resulting in the blade being chipped on the cadavers spinal column, so I don't think it would be discarding the blade so much as discarding the life of the tester who messed things up!

edit on 19-9-2012 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Wow man, those were some clean cuts! That is better than my Japanese Katana's! I need to get one of these!

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I'm sure it's only a matter of time before clod steel makes a katana if they don't already. What youll enjoy most about cold steel weapons are the hardness of the metal. You can feel co rodent swinging g any one of their swords into just about anything without ruining the blade. Actually I just. Becker out their website. They have several katanas ranging from 300 - 1000 bucks. All come with 1088. Carbon steel. That beats the crap out of the punier 480 stainless steel ones on the market these days.
edit on 20-9-2012 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeremiah65

30 dollars? the website says 529dollars

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by seabhac-rua

Whoa, that's rough..

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ga-`tv-gi
I tried to cut my basketball in half with my sword. It bounced back and popped me in the forehead. When they say dont try this at home they mean it.

That part with the basketball did seem a little off....Maybe they filled it with Nitrogen, cooled it and let the gas escape before cutting it with the blade.

Anyways...commercials aren't always telling what the customer receives at home.....
edit on 23/9/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I'd love to see a strong tanto one day, I've rarely ever seen real swords and daggers before and from I hear they are all tens of thousands of dollars and above.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
The 30 quote was for the gurka kukri I think. That's about what I paid for mine. Cold steel comes as advertised. Check out the random YouTube reviews. Consumers have put their products through some horrendous torture tests.

The Chinese war sword cuts deeper than a katana cause they were fighting armored infiltry. They used the swords on the horses which are no good to the enemy when you've just chopped of their legs.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join