It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Letter from the Superintendent of the 412th OG at Edwards AFB to Boom Operators...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Your not going to find this on the web I don't think. But if you do you'll need a password to access it. It's not classified but it sheds some light on what's going on right now in aviation. Here's a letter from CMSgt Hughes, Superintendent of the 412th Ops Group at Edwards AFB, CA, and a fellow boom operator. Some of you (gariac,shadowhawk, etc) might enjoy this!

Greetings from Edwards AFB!

I am pleased to introduce the boom operators of the 412th Operations Group, 412 Test Wing, Air Force Flight Test Center (AFFTC), AFMC (Air Force Material Command). I am new to the “Test” world and I would like to share with you the education I have received during my first month on the job. I may muck this up but I will give it a go. There are two groups of testers at Edwards AFB because there are two different ongoing testing operations: Experimental testing and operational testing. Tanker experimental testing is accomplished by the 445th (active duty) and 370th (reserve) Flight Test Squadrons which fall under the 412th OG, yadda, yadda, yadda. Experimental testing is the place where the brilliance of PhD’s and Engineers is put to the test; to put the concept in laymen’s terms: “Hey test dudes…John, Paul, Ringo and I came up with this great idea in Paul’s garage using popsicle sticks, zip-ties, duct tape, 5-50 cord and a 9-volt battery; the 19 page algorithm indicates our contraption will produce 1.21 gigawatts that could have numerous aviation applications and we want to see if it will work”. The appropriate experimental test squadron takes the $27M popsicle stick/9v battery thingamabob and put it thru the ringer. If the gizmo works it is sent for operational testing with the Air Force Operational Test and Evaluation Center (AFOTEC). AFOTEC is a Direct Reporting Unit (DRU) that reports directly to the CSAF. AFOTEC determines, thru operationally realistic testing, if the doohickey meets the operational needs of the war fighter in effectiveness and suitability. To summarize, experimental testers are the First in the AF to play with some really cool toys and see if they work. If the toys work, operational testers determine if the toys have a war fighting value. One of the unintended consequences of a protracted war is that weapons systems developed, tested, evaluated at Edwards AFB today are literally on the battlefield tomorrow; a very short flash to bang ratio. Folks talk about being on the pointy end of the spear…Edwards is two meters in front of the spear.

What are we up to:
What the experimental test boom operators execute is way outside the paradigm. This last year the booms executed supported, evaluated test programs valued at over $2,000,000,000….just in case there are too many zeros I am talking 2+ billion dollars. They accomplished in-flight refueling testing with JSF (F-35 Joint Strike Fighter), Gripen, RPA (remote piloted aircraft), and provided air refueling systems design expertise to the Navy for their carrier based UAV program; additionally, they continued testing on everything in the inventory with air refueling capability and also tanker operating system upgrades. Booms flew KC-135, KC-10, KC-767, and KC-30 test missions in Sweden, Italy, Japan, and Australia. If that is not enough, there is also this little school called Test Pilot School (TPS) just down the road that needs tanker support from time to time. I counted 6 sonic booms today that rattled my office windows. Every day is an air show that showcases the AF’s next generation weapon systems; many times boom operators find themselves sitting in the catbird’s seat.

Down the road:
We will continue the modernization testing of our old war horses (KC135/KC-10) as well as work with allied nation AF’s in the testing and development of their tanker systems. We know the KC-46 is somewhere out on the horizon just out of view and it will not be long before Edwards booms fly the first historic test flights. We will continue to develop the air refueling capabilities of the next generation strike and support aircraft, both manned and unmanned. If that is not enough, we are working very hard to establish an Enlisted Aircrew Test and Evaluation School that will fall under the TPS umbrella. Once the school/curriculum is up and running the plan is to follow up with a specialized Test and Evaluation CCAF degree program. There is no rest for the wicked and a rolling stone gathers no moss.

//Signed//
Shawn M. Hughes, CMSgt, USAF
Superintendent, 412 Operations Group

Booms stationed at Edwards:

412th OG
CMSgt Shawn Hughes: Just arrived from Altus. Unfortunately we don’t know enough about him to say anything funny, bad mean, or stupid…time will tell.

MSgt Tom Ireland: Is he a boom? We can’t remember, he claims he is, but the only response we get from him is “Can’t fly at the OG”…ALL THE TIME

SSgt Matt Werner: At the OG too, Matt does his best to fly, at the aero club…

445th FLTS
MSgt Liv Hoornstra: Pregnant most of the year, had a baby, and is back raising hell. God help us all.

MSgt Scott Beasley: Scott could not get out of test ops soon enough. After stealing the job from Liv at AFOTEC, he feels no remorse. Good luck with that!

TSgt Lindsay Moon: Lindsay left us to go to Australia, he is seldom heard from, but we are reminded of how much he did every time Scott is found in the hall complaining.

SSgt Jake Sarno: Busy chasing chicks and dirt biking….Jake occasionally graces us with his presence at work. We are thinking about loaning him to TPS permanently.

370th FLTS
SMSgt Mike Kibler: Finally out of test ops and at the 418th, we often wonder if the grass really is greener or if he secured his retirement job.

SMSgt Mark O’Conner: Mark, Mark, Mark, Kidney Stone, Kidney Stone, Kidney Stone. Need I say more?

MSgt John Williams: When John isn’t flying his RC planes, he is busy finding old booms to dump behind the building, we think he’s a hoarder.

TSgt Scott Scurlock: When Scott isn’t following the training flight dchie around making sure he isn’t screwing everything up, he is found wandering the halls complaining about him. It’s only a matter of time before he gets mono again.

AFOTEC
Because there has not been a tanker that has required operational testing for acquisition purposes since the KC-10 roughly 30 years ago, boom operator-wise AFOTEC has been on again off again sitting dormant. In anticipation of the KC-46 AFOTEC has hired MSgt Scott Beasley (see above comments).

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Yada yada yada .......???

In my opinion...something is wrong w/ the way this guy is speaking. I cannot see any military man worth his strips would talk to anyone like this.... Dude?????

Soooo something's not adding up....

Lmao...thingAmabob...??? Thru.....???

Do you really think a military guy would spell and talk like this? Really??
edit on 15-9-2012 by tracehd1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by tracehd1

In my opinion...something is wrong w/ the way this guy is speaking. I cannot see any military man worth his strips would talk to anyone like this.... Dude?????

exactly .. and when I read your post..

I'd have to agree~!! NO officer that sends out a letter to subs calls them dudes..

Soliders w/b the better term..

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Weird
edit on 15-9-2012 by johngrissom because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by tracehd1

Lmao...thingAmabob...??? Thru.....???

Do you really think a military guy would spell and talk like this? Really??
edit on 15-9-2012 by tracehd1 because: (no reason given)

Actually yes, when it comes to boom operators. I can show you a hundred pages of this file, and 99 percent of them talk like this. If you ever hung around boom's before, it's how we talk.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Ok I'll show another one from a different base other than edwards. This file is called the boom signal. and it's just something that we send out every year that gives us a chance to talk about the booms in different squadrons and a time and place to relax from air force life. I wish I could give you a link so you can see for yourself but It's hard to find. Give me a minute and I'll show you guys some more...

Edit: The whole purpose of these is it's supposed to be comical.
edit on 15-9-2012 by boomer135 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Here's 2012's version. Same guy...He got a little better with the grammar but this is supposed to be comical guys. Not an order from a Chief to an airman. The content from the first 2011 version was the intent of this thread.

Greeting from Edwards, I am pleased to introduce the Developmental Test and Evaluation Boom Operators. What an amazing place to be a boom. This year, like every year, Edwards Test Booms have had a front row seat to the world’s greatest interactive airshow. To say we have been busy this last year would be an understatement. We have had almost a complete turnover of personnel with 6 new test booms on this year’s roster. The new folks have done an amazing job of picking up where their predecessor left off. F-35 air refueling envelope testing continues with both the KC-135 and KC-10. We are playing with different configurations at all altitudes and airspeeds. We continue to work with the Austrailian KC-30 and also the Swedish AF Grippen programs. KC-135 Block 45 testing is ongoing and so is LARICM testing. We also find time to play with RPA (remotely piloted aircraft) and our legacy aircraft. Then there is the ever looming KC-46 program…what was once a small dot on the horizon, it is now growing at an exponential rate and taking shape. In closing, I would like to give a shout out to all the tanker crews who visit our little airpatch on weekly BE’s. It is great to see friendly faces and Edwards could not execute the mission without your support. As always, the tanker mission is the lynchpin to mission success and boom operators lead the way.

//Signed//
Shawn M. Hughes, CMSgt, USAF
Superintendent, 412 Operations Group
“Test Booms Lead the Way”

MSgt Dan “D-Ray” Ray: D-Ray went to be the superintendent at Test Pilot School this year. When he left we all assumed he was still at the gym.

TSgt Ryan “Chosen-One” Perry: When not flying the best test missions, in PME, memorizing the PDG, lifting cars over his head, working on his doctorate, reciting the Airman’s Creed, or just making the rest of us look bad in general, Ryan can be found driving a bus at your nearest convent. Even though he just made Master, we expect his step-promotion to Chief to come down any day now.

TSgt Rich “Witch” Craft: When he’s not flirting with our civilian schedulers or watching NASCAR, Rich makes it a point to tell us us how cool the KC-10 is and reminisces of his demolition derby glory days.

TSgt Matty “OKAY?!” Werner: Matty decided to separate this year. After years of working as a dual-qualified test boom, he’s decided to move on to greener pastures and apply for the fry cook job at Mickey D’s. No joke. If any signal readers are hiring, give him a call. His colorful berating of test pilots will be missed.

SSgt Aaron “A-Ray” Ray: A-Ray is a God amongst men second only to Ryan Perry. He’s our resident Aussie and impression extraordinaire. Ask him to do an impression and he can pretty much nail it. This keeps us entertained on a daily basis. Make sure you never ask him about his dreams though….

SSgt Colin “Finicky” Wernecke: Colin is famous for complaining about never flying and has for some reason forgotten that he applied to go to a base that doesn’t even have his airplane. Favorite phrase: “This isn’t what I signed up for.”

370th FLTS

SMSgt Mike “Elf” Kibler: When not making delicious cookies in his magical hollowed out oak tree, Mike still performs his duties as King Test Boom. He intends to retire soon so he can concentrate on his baking.

SMSgt Mark “Oh, my back!” O’Connor: Mark has had a lot of back surgeries lately. Going back and forth between the Gucci seat and the center pallet was too much for him. We’re raising funds to get him a Life-Alert and a Hover-round.

MSgt John “John-Bob” Williams: After 53 years of faithful service, John-Bob decided to let another reservist be a Master. We’ll miss his KB-29 stories and his Okie wisdom.

TSgt Scotty “EDO” Scurlock: “Like I said”/”Here’s the deal”; he’s got the skinny on all Test Ops flying operations. He does a great job of propping up the ops desk. If we could make him the enlisted DO, we would.

AFOTEC Det 5

MSgt Scott “Let me check with my boss” Beasley: Scott has trouble knowing if he can fly or not. We’ve decided to stop asking him, but somehow he still ends up on the schedule.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by boomer135

Yea nothing funny about this.

But of course all the non-military obviously know everything.

lol

nice post OP

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
this is just a little command satire.

CMSgt, USAF
he is the chief master Sargent and serves as senior enlisted advisor to commanders at Wing,

part of his job is moral between the officers and enlisted

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Well the main purpose of this thread was to show that someone is spilling the beans about what we got flying around getting refueled. RPA's are the most exciting in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
If I were going to design a truly isolated facility back in the cold war days, I'd do it where it's not possible to get to by conventional travel. That means an island in the vast Pacific, or someplace in the Antarctic, deep underground, or even in a secret orbiting lab. There'd be no danger of anyone stumbling upon it, or bringing their friends to look at late night flights. jeans pas cher Acheter Bijoux Acheter T-Shirts

top topics

join