It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indiana Residents that are (criminals) read this

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Lake County Jail Class Action Lawsuit. If you were jailed and held in a holding cell in this county for more then 24 hours your going to be awarded some cash. The mail that i received states that we were treated wrong lol when arent we while in custody. The dates are as follows 05 13 2006 until 02 01 2012 we are class members. Here are the contact numbers Lake County Jail Class Action Lawsuit, Claims Administrator c/o A.B. Data Ltd. PO Box 170500 Milwaukee, WI 53217 if they screwed you to please get these guys u2u me for some more its based on a point system. Dont let them walk all over us anymore much love guys.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ed1320

Criminals getting paid for jail time.

Reason 129147832592 that our nation is failing.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by thesungod

Correct me If I'm wrong as I'm not from the United States but isn't there a difference between county jails and prisons..meaning that prisons are for convicted criminals and county jails contain individuals who have been arrested but are most likely waiting for their trials and aren't necessarily convicted criminals. Maybe things have changed but I thought your system was based on being innocent until proven guilty.

criminal or not, if the county mistreated you and violated your rights while in their custody, you deserve the payout from the lawsuit!

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Ericthenewbie

Thank you for the wording i was arrested for FTA for a civil suit involving my ex but i figuired it was criminal by the way i was treated. Come to find out you have to be at all court dates regardless if you receive a summons or not as long as it went to your previous address. But as you see another better than thou had to run his mouth real quick
probably grew with a silver spoon in his brace fed mouth never been there but quick to talk bs.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   

isn't there a difference between county jails and prisons..meaning that prisons are for convicted criminals and county jails contain individuals who have been arrested but are most likely waiting for their trials and aren't necessarily convicted criminals.

When you get arrested, you first go to the city jail (the majority of the time, although sometimes you may just be transported to county). At the city jail, your information is processed, sent to county, and you problably will see how much your bond will be. If your crime is minor, such as a public intox ticket, you will problably just stay in the city jail until the bond amount is fulfilled via jail time (a few days at most). When your crime is more serious than a ticketable offense, you will wait in the city jail until you are transported to county. This can take an hour to a few days.

When arriving at county, they put you into a holding tank, usually with alot of other people, depending on how busy your county is at the moment. I believe every county has their own rules on how long you can sit in holding, but Ive been in there for about 36 hours once. When in county, you wait again for more information to be processed, and then they move you out of holding and into "population", which is where you will stay until you get bonded out, finish your sentence, or eventually get moved to prison (if your crime is serious enough). While you are in there, and dont get bonded out, you will go to court every now and then until the final time you see the judge and he will give you your final sentence (probation or time) .

Prisons are completely different. Only persons convicted of a felony go to prison.

ETA - Plus, the holding tanks are the worst part of the process (atleast from what Ive seen and heard). A fairly large room with a few toilets, a sink, a concrete bench and a concrete floor, and a bunch of people. Plus it's usually extremely cold in there.
edit on 13-9-2012 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

ETA 2 - Also, you are not convicted until the judge says you are. Just because you have been in county for awhile, dosent mean you have been convicted of a crime...you have only been arrested and charged at the moment and are waiting for the judge.
edit on 13-9-2012 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
i dogged someone which i dont like to do so i removed it
edit on 13-9-2012 by ed1320 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Maybe you should read about the case and settlement?

Lake County Indiana Jail Settlement

Click "Court Documents" -> Click the "Settlement Agreement"

D. “The Conditions” means all conditions of confinement in the holding cells of the Jail from May 13, 2006 to February 1, 2012, a list of which is contained in the Plaintiffs’ Complaint and Amended Complaint. The term does not include other matters arising in the holding cells, such as medical care, use of force, or access to courts.

So because they didn't get amenities while lock-up they deserve to get paid?

Try an Iraqi jail out and get back to me. Even American criminals are soft.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ed1320

Hey man, I'm not saying some of you don't deserve it, but EVERYONE? Even those that ended up in federal prison for say murder?

Give me a break.
edit on 13-9-2012 by thesungod because: some not so

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Thesungod the soap is very slippery for a reason, so guys like you cant hang on to it you will see one day, The doo gooders like you find out just like us normal people i gave some awareness you step on info another bullied kid talking bs now.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ed1320

See that link in my sig that says make no assumptions? Try clicking and reading it.

Besides look at my post above yours.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Murders usually go to a state penn if u werent being a jack i apologize but this was just a heads up. I went and was violated of all of my rights if it was you maybe you would see. Gary IN is in this county and its the murder capital of the world but we all arent bad guys bro.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ed1320

May have been, but that's not the point.

Read about some real punishment.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Thank you for elaborating on the differences. I still think the point I was making about county jails containing people who may not have been found guilty of a crime as of yet is relevant based on your description of the three facilities. I wanted to highlight to the second poster in the thread that just because you are in county jail, doesn't mean you have been convicted of a crime is all.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

I know plenty about the legal system in the US as I am a law student, just dropped Biz at McCombs after I got accept.

We in the US take a weak stance on crime and punishment, hell the entire west for that matter.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
As one poster wrote we arent all guilty just being held. Did you know lake county charged you a 25 dollar nonreturnable service fee for being there and when you got your possessions back if you had cash it was issued in a check. The check was postdated two days ahead so you had to wait to cash then had to pay a fee on that its not happening anymore against federal standards. I dont want to bash or fight with anyone but it was terrible to deal with
this facility in any way im sure there is worse but we were treated like scum over nothing but alleged charges before court proceedings even started.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ed1320

Go to court next time. It's not that hard, there are laws in place to keep your boss from firing you. If you couldn't make it you could have called, especially if your charge was what you said it was.

It's not rocket science people, follow the rules and prosper. Mess up and take your lumps like a man and move on.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by thesungod

Umm before you go claiming it's just "amenities", use the link you provided in your reply post to me and read the first amendment document (it's only 16 pages of infractions by the county)..being treated like a caged animal isn't just "amenities"....especially if you are in a situation that you are innocent of the charges filed against you...since when does due process equate to being treated like a caged animal especially, if after that due process you are found not guilty of the charges against you.
In my experience cops typically don't care who's right or wrong when making an arrest, they'll simply tell you to sort it out in court.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Agreed about the Police being unjust, but read the 50 page Settlement Agreement, that is the only doc that matters.

The rest are just opinions. The settlement agreement is based upon the conditions in the holding cells. Nothing else.

ETA: If the settlement was about the other parts cited then more than just those in holding cells from date x to y, would be getting money too.
edit on 13-9-2012 by thesungod because: see eta

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Closed for staff review.

top topics

join