It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CERN’s Higgs boson discovery passes peer review, becomes actual science!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

CERN’s announcement on July 4 — that experiments performed by the Large Hadron Collider had discovered a particle that was consistent with the Higgs boson — has passed a key step towards becoming ratified science: Its findings have been published in the peer-reviewed journal Physics Letters B.

Back in July, both the CMS and ATLAS teams — teams of scientists tasked with analyzing the data produced by the CMS and ATLAS detectors — announced that they’d discovered a new elementary particle. CERN did not say that this was the Higgs boson, the so-called God particle, but as the Standard Model of particle physics only has one undiscovered particle remaining, it probably is the Higgs boson. Following CERN’s announcement, both the CMS and ATLAS teams submitted their findings to Physics Letters B — and today, both of their research papers have passed peer review by the scientific community, effectively becoming… science.

source

This seems like massive news and justification for spending all that money on CERN in the first place.

Now id like to launch into a huge explanation about what the higgs is and exactly what this could mean for humanity in the future but im no expert on the matter. I know its to do with what gives matter gravity but im sure id just make a mess trying to explain it so here is a video.

This is from 2 months ago:

the papers that were submitted can be found here

Combined search for the Standard Model Higgs boson using up to 4.9 fb−1 of pp collision data at with the ATLAS detector at the LHC

Observation of a new boson at a mass of 125 GeV with the CMS experiment at the LHC

So i will ask the questions :

A big day for Physics? The biggest?

Are they jumping the gun?

Will this make any difference for us as humans (what use is it)?

edit on 10-9-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
It means we captured GOD in a bottle...JK

We have reached the next stepping stone in our quest to understanding the Universe, but do not get to excited, they will probably be debating the implications of such a partical for years to come.

The Higgs helps scientists explain how elementary particular aquire mass. Hopefully the end result is one grand unifying theory.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
We confirm the Higgs Boson as a scientific discovery and this is all the posts we get? I realize that the implications and data must still be analyzed to draw conclusions, but this is HUUUUGEEEEE!!!

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

The Higgs helps scientists explain how elementary particular aquire mass.

Actually what it does is confirm that current particle theory is holding up quite well. It was proposed to exist back in 1964 and, son of a gun, they found it really does exist...just like it has to. If it had been shown not to exist there would some 'splanin' to do Lucy!

edit on 9/10/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Truth be told they're not actually discovering anything....

What they're doing is revealing slowly something they've known for decades. But they know that eventually they'd like to say have flying cars so they start to leak the idea of some discoveries that could lead in that direction. So that way one day when they want to release a flying car or other products or new way of doing something, then they could just say "this is how we found out about it..." a way of creating a background story.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

That makes so much sense, it scares me.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Is what i stated incorrect mighty phage?

Bestow your wisdom on me and i shall learn.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Not really wrong, just sort of misplaced. While further research may lead to further refinements of the standard model, the "discovery" was fully expected in most quarters. Not that the confirmation makes the feat any less important than the theory which proposed its existence. Sort of like the various confirmations of Einstein's work.

mighty?

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The confirmed observation of the Higgs Boson has further solidified current models of how elementary particles acquire mass.

Is that better?

Mighty?

You know your rep my good fellow, don't be to humble. I appreciate your input

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
Truth be told they're not actually discovering anything....

What they're doing is revealing slowly something they've known for decades. But they know that eventually they'd like to say have flying cars so they start to leak the idea of some discoveries that could lead in that direction. So that way one day when they want to release a flying car or other products or new way of doing something, then they could just say "this is how we found out about it..." a way of creating a background story.

Sorry but you got it all wrong. I've worked in this field on and off for many years, and had a hand in small parts of the construction of the apparatus you see posted on the top of this thread. And you are simply wrong.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Can you give us some insight into some of your work on the LHC?

How did the confirmation of the observation effect you? What field in particular do you specialize in?

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

A big day for Physics? The biggest?

Not exactly. It does demonstrate just how much power they are able to work with, however.

Are they jumping the gun?

Yes.

Less than 3 months for "peer review" to look over their process and critique the findings.

This can really only be tested through repeat experiments done by other teams and will always be subject to the possibility that another experiment by another group can draw the interpretation of the data into question.

Will this make any difference for us as humans (what use is it)?

About as much use as quantum tunneling was when it was first predicted and, later, verified.

You may see some improvements brought about by further studying of the phenomena... but they had to build a massive-ass particle accelerator just to try and find the thing. Which means it's really only useful as it relates to other experiments that can be done using the LHC that may unveil ways to take advantage of Higgs interactions in much lower energy environments.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs

TRT

I participated in the design and testing of a prototype we built a long time ago.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Thanks. I just think a lot of what we here in the MSM is complete hogwash. You here the story. Then you have to read between the lines. Like "okay whats' the real story that they don't want me to actually know". (I'm talking about big stories that have a lot of question marks, not some local weather report)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by MDDoxs

TRT

I participated in the design and testing of a prototype we built a long time ago.

its interesting to me that photo looks a little like an eye,.,

theawesomer.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
they had billions invested in this project.. they had to find it, one way or the other..

this is the moon landing all over again.

so now they found it what happens to the collider?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Most people will remain unable to verify these findings. They could or could not have found what they claim to have found. Just a few people know whether this is a marketing hoax for more funding or whether it actually has some meaning to it. I just read that the measurements taken during this "discovery" were not exactly what the Standard Model predicts - and yet they still think they found it. Well, ok. Can't verify that anyways.

The discovery of the Higgs means that now the Standard Model is almost complete. Yet... it does still not explain gravity, the effects of the so called "dark matter" and "dark energy" inventions that SHOULD be explained by such an overblown model. But they are still not covered by any explanation but mere fantasy due to a mismatch of theory and observation.

I firmly believe that the foundation of physics lacks a fundamental understanding of how our reality really works. Smashing parts together and see what happens is IMO not the right way to find out what there is to be found out.
It could very well be that the experiments conducted in particle physics - by smashing two things together - might be a way to CREATE stuff that was not there in the first place. If this is the case we are just looking at a small corner of physics anyways. Time will tell.
edit on 11-9-2012 by mrMasterJoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
CERN's LHC did not discover the Higgs particle. It re-discovered it. The particle was first detected clairvoyantly in 1959 (that is, five years before its existence was proposed by Peter Higgs) by Geoffrey Hodson, the well-known Theosophical writer. This clairvoyant used a form of yogic siddhi known in India for thousands of years and called "anima" that magnifies objects too small to be seen with the human eye. Between 1957 and 1959, the New Zealand psychiatrist Dr D.D. Lyness conducted investigations with him. His final report is deposited in the National Library of Australia collection. It is discussed in news item #9 here, where a link to transcripts of some of the investigation sessions may be found.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Just more government propaganda pitting so-called "science" against the wonders of God's creation.
CERN's alleged discovery of the Higg's = "junk science" in the same way that NASA's alleged trip to the moon = "phony astrophysics."

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by de_Genova
Just more government propaganda pitting so-called "science" against the wonders of God's creation.
CERN's alleged discovery of the Higg's = "junk science" in the same way that NASA's alleged trip to the moon = "phony astrophysics."

Why is particle physics "junk science"? What part of the lunar problems are phony?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join