It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tristen Condon - The hero who says Doctors can bugger off (pretty much)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
This guy. This guy is a hero.

31 year old Tristen Condon, a sufferer of Quadriplegic Cerebral Palsy, who was told he would not live beyond his early teenage years, who was told he'd never walk...

Is out there engaging fun runs and proving that as long as your will is greater than all the negativity in the world, you can triumph and show the world just what a true spirit can achieve.

He's wrecking his body and he knows it, but every day is a chance for him.

When I saw this, I almost cried. This guy has the spirit of a tiger. How many of us sit down and have a sook about how crap our lives are? Look at this guy, I hope it inspires some else as it has me.

What a champion, someone who should be hailed as a hero, instead of perfectly able sportsmen who gang rape, take drugs, drink to excess, and generally act like retards.

My heart broke when he said he'd know that it may be his last event, and that likely he will end up in a chair. But I don't see that breaking his spirit.

If only I were 1 tenth of the man this guy is... I'd be barely worthy.. I hope someone else is as inspired by this man as I am.

Tristin Condon has quadriplegic cerebral palsy. As a child, the prognosis was that he would never walk or talk, and that he wouldn’t live past his teenage years.

But now, at 31, he’s mastered the art of walking using a pair of wooden sticks designed by his grandfather.

Remarkably, last Sunday he completed the 5 km Bridge to Brisbane Fun Run. And he’s raised more than $20,000 for the children’s charity Variety in the process.

18 years ago Variety fulfilled a grant for Tristin to give him a new computer. Raising money for Variety is his way of paying it forward and helping other kids in need.

Doctors tell Tristin that walking is basically tearing his body apart.

“Walking does take a toll on my body. I’ve been told that the energy I expel is about ten times what an able bodied person would expel walking.”

So a 5 km walk is more than a marathon. And as if that wasn’t enough of a challenge, Tristin completed the race with a herniated disc in his neck and a recent shoulder injury.

Tristin’s next goal is to walk to his graduation for his postgraduate degree in law. Here at The Project, we’re with him all the way.

Found a video of the man -- My god someone needs to bottle what he has, I feel so ashamed of my crap life..

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

What a champion, someone who should be hailed as a hero, instead of perfectly able sportsmen who gang rape, take drugs, drink to excess, and generally act like retards.
reply to post by winofiend

what a great story and i agree he is more of an athlete than most

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Why does the title bash doctors? It is wrong to give a Prognosis? or you assume doctors can see the future? They give their prognosis on past experience and the person's health. They would be the only one that can give you an decent estimate.

Other than that, it shows its all about healthy mind that makes for a healthy body.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Australiana

what a great story and i agree he is more of an athlete than most

It is, his determination at least is something I rarely see in people these days.

A real champion if you ask me!

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

Why does the title bash doctors? It is wrong to give a Prognosis? or you assume doctors can see the future? They give their prognosis on past experience and the person's health. They would be the only one that can give you an decent estimate.

Other than that, it shows its all about healthy mind that makes for a healthy body.

Well, not so much. It doesn't bash doctors either, it's basically saying "I will not be told I am broken". We hear a lot these days about people who simply accept their lot in life and never try. This guy didn't take that, and he's breaking the rules. At least 15 years worth!

I understansd that they can't give false hope, and it'd be utterly wrong to do so. But at the same time, are they often too relaxed in their vision? Obviously in this case they are.

Haha, I didn't mean it to come out as a bash the quacks thread.

I meant it as a lever of hope, that only has to be glanced at to operate, and his story should then fill the blanks.

I found it of merit to mention anyway, we often take a doctors word at face value, and sometimes all it takes is a strong human spirit to break free from the bounds of repetition and example.

new topics

top topics

join