It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets build a town (complete with subways, highway etc) for field exercise..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
The German Bundeswehr is about to construct a field exercise area including a complete town.

Now, this town does not seem similar to theaters of war worldwide to which the Bundeswehr is already going to. I would accept that you should have some areas to train modern warfare in urban areas, but they should be similar to towns in countries like Afghanistan or (far fetched) Iran.

No.

They are planning to build a town just like any other "western" city. Source (Sorry, German language only)

I really, really dread the purpose of that kind of training..

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
I dont think this is entirely strange at all. As an ex infantary soldier from the British Army ive been on exercises in such enviroments. In the UK ive been to a facility that was identical to a typical UK town complete with Railways, Hotels, Houses, Cars, Farms etc. At another facility in the UK before a posting to Bosnia in the 1990s i took part in an exercise in a newly brick constructed town that replicated the average Bosnian community. For middle eastern training we instead visited places such as Kenya and Jordan as its a little difficult to replicate that enviroment fully in the UK however a majority of training for such a theatre is in the UK

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Seems like the people that live around the area aren't happy and gathered 70,000 signatures to try and turn the area into a nature park.

I know military training is important for national defense and all that but building a whole town? How about building a town for people that would actually use, need and appreciate it?

I just think it's disgusting that Germany talks about austerity, especially to other countries while it goes around building towns to practice warfare in.

I know Germany isn't the only country that does this, which makes it even more sad in my eyes.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by thesaint

all the fibua ranges in the uk are of war zones,, what he is saying is that they are building a fibua village of some where that is not a war zone ...

have you been to the northen ireland ranges in kent ?

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManFromEurope
They are planning to build a town just like any other "western" city.

been happening for years - even for Vietnam villages were constructed for training purposes.... so nothing new there

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by spoor

been happening for years - even for Vietnam villages were constructed for training purposes.... so nothing new there

Vietnam was a war zone what he is saying is there building a village that is not of a war zone but of a typical western village

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Really? I think you might have a strange view on "Defense", which is what the military is supposed to be for.
You really really like them to build towns that have nothing to do with Germany. Does that not sound a little bit offensive? And you prefer that?

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Consequence
You really really like them to build towns that have nothing to do with Germany

What makes you think the training area has nothing to do with Germany? What does it look like?

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by seethetruth

Vietnam was a war zone what he is saying is there building a village that is not of a war zone but of a typical western village

Exactly, that is my point! There are at least two more villages on that military area right now, resembling typical Afghanistan and Kroatian villages.

Now, there comes the need for a modern, western civ town. Which scares me, really!

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Really? I think you might have a strange view on "Defense", which is what the military is supposed to be for.
You really really like them to build towns that have nothing to do with Germany. Does that not sound a little bit offensive? And you prefer that?

There is no obvious need for some kind of defensive training in western cities, right? Especially we Germans are living right now in the middle of states which are all kind of friendly to us, and vice versa. No enemies at our gates, so far.

Are they training for some major revolts in the not so distant future? I think that the construction of this town will take at least 4-5 years, if the regulations will be observed (which is standard procedure, to my own knowledge).

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Why dont they just put a fence around part of downtown gary? Most of gary is a ghost town anyway.

And lol austerity just means we stop spendin money on useful things and blow it on our pockets. Cause paying loans is the most important thing ever....

Doesnt china have some ghost towns for sale?

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
Why dont they just put a fence around part of downtown gary? Most of gary is a ghost town anyway.

And lol austerity just means we stop spendin money on useful things and blow it on our pockets. Cause paying loans is the most important thing ever....

Thaaaat wouldn't be a itty-bitty-tiny little bit too complicated for the Bundeswehr to reach? Just a thought, you know..

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   

You really really like them to build towns that have nothing to do with Germany

What makes you think the training area has nothing to do with Germany? What does it look like?

Read my post again.

CX

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Nothing new here for any army wanting to train it's troops, like others here i've used them to train for different environments......i have more of an issue why they can find the money for a whole new town but can't find a few quid to repair the ones we have to live in.

CX.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   

There is no obvious need for some kind of defensive training in western cities, right? Especially we Germans are living right now in the middle of states which are all kind of friendly to us, and vice versa. No enemies at our gates, so far.

This is the same argument as in most Europeans countries. "Why do we need a defense? We live in a peaceful place surrounded by friendlies."
If this is your opinion, then obviously this question about the training city is unnecessarily detailed.

If this is not your opinion, having a defense also means it would be wise having it properly trained to...defend.
If that battle is done specifically on German soil or slightly outside the borders (ally), doesn't really matter. The training is appropriate for the purpose.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   

This is the same argument as in most Europeans countries. "Why do we need a defense? We live in a peaceful place surrounded by friendlies."
If this is your opinion, then obviously this question about the training city is unnecessarily detailed.

If this is not your opinion, having a defense also means it would be wise having it properly trained to...defend.
If that battle is done specifically on German soil or slightly outside the borders (ally), doesn't really matter. The training is appropriate for the purpose.

your missing the point of what he is saying ,why should they be training for fighting in eu simulated villages that have no war going on in them ,, all other simulated villages that have been made have been of war zones , what he is saying is why should the military be training for fighting in a typical eu city with subway trains and the rest of it that is in an eu city ,when there is no war in any eu city ,

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by seethetruth

No, I did not miss the point.
I said exactly why a defense should practice what it is supposed to do.
They are simply taking the idea of those with offensive purposes (The US Military) and using it for defense, by creating a similar "city" to be able to train without causing problems for the civilian life.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

reply to post by seethetruth

No, I did not miss the point.
I said exactly why a defense should practice what it is supposed to do.
They are simply taking the idea of those with offensive purposes (The US Military) and using it for defense, by creating a similar "city" to be able to train without causing problems for the civilian life.

why would they want to train for a battle in our own city's when there is no threat of any war in our own city's ,,,
and yes defence should practise what it is supposed to do like it always has ,before going to Bosnia they trained in a Bosnia simulated village before going to Ireland they trained in a Ireland simulated village ,so why do they need to build a simulated village of a European city when there is no war in a European city ,,

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Thaaaat wouldn't be a itty-bitty-tiny little bit too complicated for the Bundeswehr to reach? Just a thought, you know..

Lmao, i didnt literally mean gary. But isnt there somewhere like gary in germany? I know of atleast 10 ghost toens in the us. Nothing like driving into a real ghost town in texas and seeing signs like "unleaded gas 99 cents"

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Lmao, i didnt literally mean gary. But isnt there somewhere like gary in germany? I know of atleast 10 ghost toens in the us. Nothing like driving into a real ghost town in texas and seeing signs like "unleaded gas 99 cents"

No, there is none that I ever heard of. Some towns in Brandenburg are quite empty with all their young folks leaving for the cities. Nevertheless, I heard of none completely empty. There ARE some so called "Wüstungen", but those were left usually hundreds of years ago.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join