It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sadly, I am not immune to USA's isolationism.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Two things brought me to that conclusion recently. First, the fact that so many non-Americans can name all 50 states (and, I assume, locate them as well), and secondly, the darkly hilarious fact that I used to be surprised to see users from other countries on message boards.

Along with my discovery of just how fascinating the ancient history of the world is, these two facts are motivating me to start educating myself beyond what I already know.

Er... please note that I'm far from being one of those citizens who can't locate Australia on a map. (Iraq, on the other hand... but it's not like I follow US military dealings anyway, so yeah...)

It's more of a cultural thing, I think. And I'm now angry, mainly at how much of an outsider the US has made itself into. I don't feel like a legitimate part of the world, to be honest with you. A trip to Europe seems to me like this hugely amazing (AND hugely expensive), once in a lifetime opportunity that I could never hope to experience!

And so I am forced to experience life only within these vast borders, surrounded by American media, anti-international propaganda, pro-American schoolbooks, and no exposure to active foreign languages. (I tried to learn French, but it never stuck.) I'm so tired of it and wish it would change. Above all, I'm tired of feeling embarrassed with myself. I kind of wish I hadn't been born here. Who knows what I could have learned by now, and at the same time feel like I was a part of!

Hey... if I make the effort to learn all about ancient European history, am I allowed to consider it my own, because the US is such a young country and was formed after all of it was over? Just wondering...
edit on 31-8-2012 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Get a passport, They are cheap and you will never regret it. Seriously...just get a damn passport.
You can get tickets from anywheresville to say Heathrow, England and take a ferry over to france for under 1k (or a lot less if you are a good deal spotter). Get the visa's to explore for a bit and voila. go backpacking and take the hostels and bed/breakfast route tour. Spend 6 months or so.

Your entire perspective will change once you leave the safety and security bubble of your homeland and truely explore different areas. Its not some far fetched dream..it truely is a simple choice. The people telling you its some dream are probably your local lazy friends and family saying it is. 1k isn't much..you probably spend more per year on soda or chips, or other silly things.
So, ya..make a 2 year plan for 3-6 months, target an area, and voila...save a bit of cash depending on the quality of service you want (once your there, you may find the odd day labor to get up some cash also if your strapped).

In my early 20s, I thought it was a insane dream to explore the world...then I got bored of that and simply went..spent 5 years overseas (with a passport, not a gun). married, worked, seen both the grottos of spain, the 5 star resorts in egypt, etc).

Life altering and you feel more awake and alive once you do that.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by EllaMarina

Two things brought me to that conclusion recently. First, the fact that so many non-Americans can name all 50 states (and, I assume, locate them as well), and secondly, the darkly hilarious fact that I used to be surprised to see users from other countries on message boards.

This is only because America RUNS THE SHOW. As much as people from other countries CLAIM to "hate" America and think Americans are stupid the truth is that they are jealous. Why else would they all want to learn English and post on American sties? I mean how many friends of your are learning how to speak Norwegian so they can talk about Norwegian music and Norwegian conspiracy theories? NONE! I mean even the anti-american sentiment from many Europeans is just them trying to emulate American culture because all the hipsters online have made them think that hating America is the cool American thing.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dnepropetrovsk

This is only because America RUNS THE SHOW. As much as people from other countries CLAIM to "hate" America and think Americans are stupid the truth is that they are jealous. Why else would they all want to learn English and post on American sties? I mean how many friends of your are learning how to speak Norwegian so they can talk about Norwegian music and Norwegian conspiracy theories? NONE! I mean even the anti-american sentiment from many Europeans is just them trying to emulate American culture because all the hipsters online have made them think that hating America is the cool American thing.

Me thinks you need a passport desperately
That was one of the most generalized pieces of opinionated gibberish I've ever laid eyes on!

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I don't understand why you're so ashamed to be an American. I find so many ignorant Europeans on ATS with pure American generalization about 300 million people. Americans' are fat, lazy, ignorant, brain washed and hooked to fluoride.

I admit our public school system is a joke but if you wanna survive the system go to college. America has some of the best colleges in the world. China sends millions of people to American schools, not Chinese schools.

I'm not forced to like the music, tv, or any other media but I don't hate people who embrace this garbage. Thats what I love about my country.

Maybe you should push to prove European's wrong about their misconceptions about American instead of being ashamed of your origins..
edit on 31-8-2012 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by minkmouse

Originally posted by Dnepropetrovsk

Me thinks you need a passport desperately
That was one of the most generalized pieces of opinionated gibberish I've ever laid eyes on!

Here is some research material for you
www.nizkor.org...

top topics

join