It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Nye: Creationism is not appropriate for children.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I'm not a big fan of Nye mainly for his strong negative views on UFOs even though obviously doing extremely litte research. This caught my attention anyways:

I think he just may be right here.

I searched and nothing came up so sorry if i reposted.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Good for him. Only in the U.S. would this comment by Nye be necessary and only here in the U.S. would his comment be considered controversial and evil. In the rest of the Western world, the the reaction would be, "No duh?And why is this news?"
edit on 27-8-2012 by pajoly because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

"Creationism is not appropriate for children".

-Bill Nye
io9.com...

Bill is absolutely 100% correct, in my opinion.

There is not time in today's fast paced world for the esoteric in grammar school, middle school or high school. The whole country needs to retool and there is too great a need for an emphasis on mathematics, engineering, biology and CS.

Fact is, those that come to seek God will find ample evidence in the aforementioned sciences, just as those that tend towards atheism will find what they seek in the same subjects and material.

Rinse.

Repeat.

X.
edit on 27-8-2012 by Xoanon because:

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Bill Nye is a tool. There is science in the Holy Bible, you folks just do not know what you are looking at. The science in the bible started being proven with the invention of the electron microscope and period table of elements.

+40 more 
posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
Bill Nye is a tool. There is science in the Holy Bible, you folks just do not know what you are looking at. The science in the bible started being proven with the invention of the electron microscope and period table of elements.

If what you say is true, would you then accept that there is "science" in the Torah? The Koran? Or would it just happen that the book you value happens to coincidentally be the one with the science?

Somehow I suspect Christians think it only valid that their book be taught and if one insisted the Koran or Torah be taught, they'd go blind with rage and indignation.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by thesearchfortruth

I agree. My position is that scientists who 100% reject any kind of ET argument for UFOs are just as unscientific as those who think every light in the sky is an alien spacecraft. On topic - it is sad he has to come out and say this. What is sadder is that there are people who have never picked up a book other than the bible that will immediately condemn him as not knowing what he is talking about.

Lonewolf: WOW! This is the first I have ever heard an electron microscope and the periodic table in the bible. Care to offer any proof of that?

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

Agreed and great point. star for you.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Everyone as an opinion. I don't believe American public schools are good for children.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Then you would agree that science and scientific reasoning is valid. Is this true?

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by yadda333
Then you would agree that science and scientific reasoning is valid. Is this true?

Science is a LIE...

Has Science become a Religion?

With respect to its great contributions to society, I think it is important to make a case that science is really affecting society more like a religion now than a field of study or a resource base of useful information. Many everyday people do not understand it at all and accept ALL its teachings on faith.

Unfortunately some scientists and academic professionals are not so noble and have perpetrated deliberate frauds and cover-ups of important discoveries.

Modern Scientific beliefs are based upon a leap of faith in the big bang theory. It has become a belief system based on faith and therefore another form of religion. Scientists, like priests can explain their beliefs but the everyday people accept it all on faith. Scientists and doctors are the priests of this new religion, getting angry and crying "heresy" when anyone respectfully disagrees with them.

Has Science become a Religion

Science - The Illuminati Religion and Mind Control Tool for the Masses

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murgatroid

Science is a LIE...

Has Science become a Religion

Science - The Illuminati Religion and Mind Control Tool for the Masses

So if science is a lie, then you believe that your ability to converse with me through the internet is a lie. Or maybe you do not believe that knowledge exists. Is this true?

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
The majority of science is Illuminati controlled and maintained although most scientists are completely unaware of this fact and as much in the dark as everyone else .

They Cast No Shadows by Brian Desborough

"Throughout recorded history, the Illuminati has successfully withheld from humankind major aspects of history and science in order to subjugate the masses"

"Historical, religious and political truths have been withheld from the general public in order to perpetuate armed conflict," he continues. "Similarly if the presently suppressed technology were to be made commercially available, disease, famine and environmental pollution virtually would become eradicated."

By manipulating the souls evolving on earth, the Illuminati have deliberately suppressed the spiritual facts of life, not to mention liberating technologies, which could bring plenitude to all.

Secrets of Suppressed Science and History

Secret Societies - Who Controls Knowledge?
by Dennis Crenshaw

"...the Illuminati eventually controlled the science departments in all collages and institutions of higher learning. The plan was to stifle scientific knowledge and then twist what was left to fit the science they wanted the people to believe. They accomplished this by adopting new rules in regards to scientific research.

With the control of science in their hands, and the discouragement of seeking new findings they took it a step further. Next, the Robber Baron flunkies of the Illuminati used their ill-gotten gains, under the guise of philanthropy, to establish “Foundations” and “Societies” such as the National Geographical Society and the

Smithsonian Institute “for the increase and diffusion of knowledge among men,” but in reality to help cover-up and hide away anything that doesn’t fit the accepted theories."

Secret Societies - Who Controls Knowledge?

"This is part of the "revelation of the method" in a society that has been demoralized, destabilized, and en masse, is no longer capable of asking for, acknowledging, and acting on the basis of the truth but instead, is socially propelled by myth, deception, self delusion, and fraud." - Henry Makow

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

So if science is a lie, then you believe that your ability to converse with me through the internet is a lie. Or maybe you do not believe that knowledge exists. Is this true?

MY homework is done.

Time for you to do yours...

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

Okay--are you going to answer my question(s) in the post above yours?

ETA:

What do you consider to be science? Would you not consider the internet and invention of computers to be science? Would you not consider the gathering and spreading of knowledge science--the ability to approve upon inventions, ideas, medicine, etc?
edit on 8/27/2012 by yadda333 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Atheism sold itself as just no belief in God.
It's now fast becoming what some always knew it was - a denial of one specific faith only - the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob as the Creator God. Destroy the belief in creation In the mind of men and His salvation disappears down a drainpipe. Hook him on sin and he'd rather fornicate than know His Creator. Satan certainly performs his role well, so much so that the descendants of Christian forefathers don't even register that atheism hasn't touched the Muslim, Buddhist and other religious populations in the world. Just the western nations who have always responded to the gospel of Christ Jesus for the past 2,000 years. Truly tragic that these very descendants will be the ones who accept the son of perdition whilst rejecting the true Son of God. Truly tragic that they clap and cheer a nobody because they hear what lets their consciences continue wallowing in their life of sin, the very sin that brings about their acceptance of the son of Satan.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
teaching children creationism is pretty much like brainwashing them. Theres a reason hitler started all the little ones on propaganda at a very young age. if you grow up believing something very strongly even proven facts will not change your mind. Sure, Religion being taught to a child in the correct way. (the morrals they teach and so on) there wouldnt be a problem. but once parents get to the point of telling their children that god will punish them with eternal damnation if they dont do the right thing its taking it a bit too far.

I find it funny that all these parents shovel all this god stuff into their kids mind not realizing that they will have access to the internet and rational thought. you could brainwash kids with this bs hundreds of years ago but now days it backfires.

I know quite a few people who were raised religious and ended up going to jail for violent acts/robbery. Having faith in a creator can be benificial. but losing faith in a creator usually turns people bad since they think "So if there really isnt a god theres no reasons i should hold back my urges"

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by thesearchfortruth

It should be noted that this thread has already been infected with people who are nasty in their attitude. One thing is for certain - if you actually believe what you are talking about, you won't be nasty about attacking other people.

Of course, the irony will be that those who believe that "science" is a fact as a whole are those who actually don't involve themselves in science or know anything about it. If you were actually a scientist, you would know that everything that is called "science" is merely observational opinion and nothing more. Some of these opinions hold more weight than others - but science was originally just defining what is observed as opposed to making things up and looking for clues to prove the theories. Notice how laws are simply an observation of an inescapable reality. A theory requires more information before it is a law.

There IS NO LAW of evolution. I don't care how many of your professors try to tell you that a theory has the force of a law - they aren't lawyers, are they? They're professors - and all professors do is profess. They don't do the work for you so that you discern and observe and understand for your own self what is going on around you. Their idea is that perception is reality and if they *think* something, it must be right.

Well guess what.. perception is not reality. Some people are much better than others at taking in a picture and discerning it. To perceive means to "take in". Whether it be through your eyes, ears, nose, fingers, toes; Some of you just don't have the ability to pay attention. But some of you fancy that you are, so you take the side of those who appear, in your limited perception, to be more intelligent or wise and you regurgitate whatever they say because it must be true - regardless of the fact that you've never even for a second attempted to actually apply their principles and find out where they will take you!

That being said, I would like to address Bill Nye's statement in the video.

First of all, the USA is not the most advanced by any means. I don't know what makes him think that. I have moved up and down the east coast, and allow me to inform you - North Americans are not very intelligent people. We are not that advanced. The problem with us here in the United States is that we fancy ourselves intelligent and we are not even close. And Bill Nye is a perfect example of that attitude.

But then again, that is how England is. Surprise, surprise. Supposedly all knowing and witty and intelligent; but really just as nit-witted as the rest of us on the inside. Yes, I do have "british blood" in me. Oh the irony.

Also, he makes a statement about science being the truth. Well, that's fine, as long as you admit that science is just another faith. You have faith in what you observed. How ironic because there is a principle that states the observer changes the observed. As well, a million different self-proclaimed physicists are trying to unlock or claim to have found a "god-particle" and trying to discern "string theory" and trying to find "multiple dimensions" and "multiple universes" and all these things that toy around with the idea of probability.. and yet, we claim that what our science says is so universal and true in the same breath? No. It is just another faith these days. When you stopped defining the obvious and started playing theory games, you killed the facts of science and turned it into a child's mind game. And while that game is fun, I must admit, IT HAS NO BUSINESS BEING PASSED OFF AS FACT. That is a huge lie that I'm sick of seeing you self-professed geniuses feed to the sick on a spoon as if it is a panacea to cure their daily ailment, monotony. BAH. And you feed them because of your own monotony.

For us to claim that evolution is not real only makes things more complicated for you because "scientists" need our money! Oh my. Bill Nye. You're out of your mind guy. There is good evidence for micro-evolution - but as far as macro-evolution is concerned, you want to teach my kids that we all evolved from puddle-sludge all by ourselves without any help at all - and you don't even have the proof of any links in the chain - just creatures that seem close enough that if you could find a link then the theory might be suitable... Oh my! You found ancient human remains that are different - we ourselves evolved a little, but then you want to claim that our ancient humans were, back far enough, fishes or whatever the MANY different theories are? Wait. I'm sorry Bill. Please, show me the lack of complication here. What would you tell my kids EXACTLY happened and without any doubt?

Our understanding of stars is still completely theoretical. There is no fact there Bill. Sorry.

I will educate my kids on evolution and then also the TRUTH of Creation. ByeBye Bill Nye.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Masta, just so you know, Hitler believed in murder and genocide. He wasn't a Christian - he was taught by catholics. Look it up.

As well, The Catholic church has already proclaimed they DO NOT hold to the truth of Creation, but rather accept the theory of evolution.

So is the Catholic church a secular church now? Yes, I think so. Don't blame Christians for the actions of ones who false take the name of our Lord.

That being said also, teaching kids that we are created in the image of the Lord and the beauty of God will teach them to love each other more quickly than will teaching them that they are just come from animals which do whatever they want - licking their butts, sex in front of anyone who is watching, fighting each other over food, etc. Morals do not exist within the realm of the animal kingdom because they do not have the understanding of morals. They are intelligent and aware, but they are not naked like we are.

If you think that to teach Creation is brainwashing a child, then I am curious...

Could you please tell me what you think we teach? What do you know of Creation? I am really curious to know what you know about it.

I would like to know that you are judging God's version of creation with reason and not just because you've been taught to hate. So, please, tell me what you think we teach about creation and we'll see how much you know.

Everyone already knows about evolution. The fact that y'all are complaining that evolution needs to be taught is ridiculous because it already has been, for over 25 years at least. Even in the Bible belt, evolution is understood by EVERYBODY; of course at varying degrees. But I'm sure that most everyone understands the truth of creation to only varying degrees as well, right?

I'm really interested in what everyone here thinks the true Christians teach about Creation. Everyone give your opinions, since opinion is the currency here at ATS - instead of truth, which is the only thing actually capable of "denying ignorance".

Originally posted by MastaShake
teaching children creationism is pretty much like brainwashing them. Theres a reason hitler started all the little ones on propaganda at a very young age. if you grow up believing something very strongly even proven facts will not change your mind. Sure, Religion being taught to a child in the correct way. (the morrals they teach and so on) there wouldnt be a problem. but once parents get to the point of telling their children that god will punish them with eternal damnation if they dont do the right thing its taking it a bit too far.

I find it funny that all these parents shovel all this god stuff into their kids mind not realizing that they will have access to the internet and rational thought. you could brainwash kids with this bs hundreds of years ago but now days it backfires.

I know quite a few people who were raised religious and ended up going to jail for violent acts/robbery. Having faith in a creator can be benificial. but losing faith in a creator usually turns people bad since they think "So if there really isnt a god theres no reasons i should hold back my urges"

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TarzanBeta

Awesome post, thanks Tarzan for taking the time to distil my thoughts on this into concise words. Your post and others like it are what makes ATS such an awesome resource for those interested in learning the REAL truth.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TarzanBeta
A theory requires more information before it is a law.

There IS NO LAW of evolution.

In science, a law means that something is observed but we don't know how it works, whereas a theory is a much stronger concept, i.e. something is observed and we know how it works (we have a theory). We can test our explanation and make predictions. For example, there could have been "law of change" stating the observation that species are not static but change over time. Then later this law would have been incorporated into the "theory of evolution", which explains why the whole thing happens. So, theories don't become laws. I have no idea where you heard such a silly thing. Theories are far more than laws..
edit on 27-8-2012 by rhinoceros because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join