It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft Issues Patches for 7 Software Flaws - the true story

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   
the official story - repeated every couple weeks

Oct 12. SEATTLE (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. warned on Tuesday of seven newly found flaws in its software that could allow an attacker to steal data and take over a personal computer running the Windows operating system.
The world's largest software maker also issued software patches to fix the glitches, included in Microsoft's monthly security update, and urged users to set Windows to download and install them immediately.

Of the 10 security flaws issued on Tuesday, Microsoft gave seven its highest "critical" rating, including one that affects it Internet Explorer Web browser.

In one instance, a malicious programer could instruct a computer to use up all of its available memory, forcing users to restart. In the more severe scenarios, an attacker could take over an affected system in order to view or delete files.

Security experts and Microsoft urged PC users to download and install patches for the software.

www.reuters.com...

the REAL story - only have to understand it once

1. Microsoft sells Windows with security holes that are not revealed

2. One of these security holes is exposed by a freedom loving person.

3. Microsoft makes no clear statement about which Windows versions are affected.

4. Microsoft orders an update.

5. This way Microsoft ensures that the exposed hole is closed and at the same time a few new holes are added.

6. Freedom loving persons start looking for holes from scratch.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   
My computer alerted me to an update for XP:

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB834707)
A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a computer running Internet Explorer and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
How to Uninstall
Uninstall via Add or Remove Programs
Help and support
go.microsoft.com...

Whether or not these holes are intentional, Windows does seem to alert its customers to necessary updates.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   
If your tired of windows, and you want something stable, that people dont try n hack into every 10 minutes, give Linux a try. Im still a newb with it, as I can only use it at school. My wife and daughter are windows users, so all three of our computers at home have windows on them. There is something called "Boot to Linux" that loads of a CD and provides a Linux environment on a windows PC. Good if you want to get a taste. One more plus for Linux. ITS FREE!

join