It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Read this and it Changed my Mind

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
After I had found this information it made me think (which we'll get too), is this the reason the President went forward with his executive order allowing undocumented immigrants temporary reprieve. Before I begin let's watch a short video of Obama explaining the decision.

After watching the video and learning of this some time back, I was against such a policy. Mainly because our Constitution and our Laws, which by the way are very important. However, President Obama cites many reasons as too why undocumented immigrants should be allowed temporary status and work permits. Having said that, even after listening to the video some will think it's completely unconstitutional, which maybe it is. But what I am going to show you will or should make you think of how corrupt our system of governance is and how it targeted undocumented immigrants through lobbying and policy for profit.

There are two primary sources which I will discuss that have a significant impact on undocumented immigrants and incarceration rates. First I would like to introduce you too Correction Corporation of America.

Wikipedia

A company that owns and manages prisons and detention centers and operates others on a concession basis. The company is the largest private corrections company in the United States and manages more than 60 facilities with a designed capacity of 90,000 beds. CCA, incorporated in 1983 by three businessmen with experience in government and corrections, is based in Nashville, Tennessee.[2]

(Alternative source) (Alternative source)

The next entity is a multinational corporation called the GEO Group. It provides government services specializing in the management of correctional, detention and mental health and residential treatment in North America, Australia, South Africa and the United Kingdom.

Wikipedia

The GEO Group, Inc. ("GEO") is a company headquartered in One Park Place, Boca Raton, Florida.[3][4] GEO is a multi-national provider of governmental services specializing in the management of correctional, detention and mental health and residential treatment in North America, Australia, South Africa and the United Kingdom. GEO operates a broad range of correctional and detention facilities including maximum, medium and minimum security prisons, for profit prisons known as immigration detention centers, minimum security detention centers and mental health and residential treatment facilities.

(Alternative source) (Alternative source)

If you view the two charts above you will see a significant lobbying effort in 2005 by both groups. This effort would soon be realized in 2006 when over 1000 ICE agents simultaneously responded to six Swift & Company meatpacking plants in six states. All in a bid to to push anti-immigration legislation to fill their prisons.

Nytimes

More than 1,000 agents from Immigration and Customs Enforcement appeared at 6 a.m. at the Swift plants with warrants to search for illegal immigrants. Inside, agents separated American citizens from immigrants, interviewing all the foreign workers and taking hundreds away in buses to immigration detention centers.

Corporate Lobbying Expenditures / Source

This is very alarming to me and regardless of what people think no one deserves to be punished so multinational and corporate entities can increase their profits by imprisoning individuals which is criminal. Obviously the only real push for anti immigration reform and legislation throughout this period has been from globalist elite schmucks. This is corruption at it's best. To keep pushing anti immigration and enforcing existing laws their goal is mass incarceration for profit, that's it.

In 2007 the arrest and detention of undocumented immigrants flourished, conducting some 30,500 raids on workplaces, neighborhoods, and public gathering sites such as bus stops and commuter train platforms.

Alternet

n 2007, the Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency (ICE) conducted 30,407 immigration raids in workplaces, neighborhoods, and public gathering sites such as bus stops and commuter train platforms. The number of raids conducted that year was double the 2006 total. The number of immigrants placed behind bars, for what amounts to the crime of having been born in the wrong place, increased from 256,842 in 2006 to 311,169 in 2007.

Instead of actually creating a comprehensive reform for immigrants, the best deal Wall Street could offer was more prisons. Spending vast sums of money to push anti immigration, these corporations make huge profits from human suffering all to create wealth or blood money.

This type of scheme is a major issue in incarceration and prison population and the over criminalization of America. But of course these criminals like to act like they care about prisoner welfare, when in fact many major financial institutions are invested in this scam.

BI

BNP Paribas, WF Investment Holdings (a subsidiary of Wells Fargo & Company), BofA Merrill Lynch, Barclays Capital, SunTrust Robinson Humphrey, and JP Morgan Chase have provided $425 million of committed financing, which will be used to finance the all-cash transaction.

Wells Fargo acted as GEO's financial advisor. Akerman Senterfitt served as GEO's legal advisor. Harris Williams & Co. acted as BI's financial advisor, and Bobby Sood acted as BI's industry consultant. Fried Frank served as BI's legal advisor.

If it means creating an executive order to shut down part of the prison industrial complex, so be it. These vultures have been draining us for long enough. End mass incarceration for profit.

edit on 21-8-2012 by Daedal because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-8-2012 by Daedal because: Edit

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
When you have prison systems on the stock exchange you know they have to keep them full for maximum profit. After all we imprison more people than any other country. But you will always hear people complain about immigrants without stopping to wonder if their ancestors were legal or not.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Following the rights movements You clamped down with your iron fists, Drugs became conveniently Available for all the kids, Following the rights movements You clamped down with your iron fists, Drugs became conveniently Available for all the kids,

System of a down said it best, its for you and me...

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

CCA was on the verge of bankruptcy in 2000 due to lawsuits, management problems and dwindling contracts. Last year, the company reaped $162 million in net income. Federal contracts made up 43 percent of its total revenues, in part thanks to rising immigrant detention.

Very profitable business for them and the money's coming right out of our pockets.

The cost to American taxpayers is on track to top $2 billion for this year, and the companies are expecting their biggest cut of that yet in the next few years thanks to government plans for new facilities to house the 400,000 immigrants detained annually.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
But why are we supposed to care if private prisons or public prisons are housing illegals, so long as they are being arrested?

I know I don't.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
But why are we supposed to care if private prisons or public prisons are housing illegals, so long as they are being arrested?

I know I don't.

Wouldn't it be better to arrest the people that are hiring the illegals? If there are no jobs then they wouldn't have a reason to come here.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

I know I don't.

Think of it this way, your gonna pay for their 3 meals and roof over their head if they are incarcerated. Or they can be allowed to get a job, pay taxes, buy products in the states and put money into the system as opposed to the 100% drain if they are locked up.

The question is why don't you care?

The current way of dealing with the problem puts all parties EXCEPT the prison system into a lose/lose situation.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

I know I don't.

Wouldn't it be better to arrest the people that are hiring the illegals? If there are no jobs then they wouldn't have a reason to come here.

Agree. That works well in Germany. I asked a Thai restaurant purveyor once If all his Thai workers were legit or if he hired under the table. We had known each other for some time by this point. He stated he would never do such a thing because the fines on him and his business would bankrupt him.

Even with German citizens or pll with work visa s working there and 20% vat it wasn't that much more than eating Thai in any other county.

Odd eh?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by cconn487

The current way of dealing with the problem puts all parties EXCEPT the prison system into a lose/lose situation.

Agreed - the incentive to lock up more of them and keep them locked up is enormous. Even many who don't deserve to be - imagine that!?

Pedro Guzman is among those who have passed through the private detention centers. He was brought to the U.S. by his Guatemalan mother at age 8. He was working and living here legally under temporary protected status but was detained after missing an appearance for an asylum application his mother had filed for him. Officials ordered him deported.

Although he was married to a U.S. citizen, ICE considered him a flight risk and locked him up in 2009: first at a private detention facility run by CCA in Gainesville, Ga., and eventually at CCA's Stewart Detention Center, south of Atlanta. Guzman spent 19 months in Stewart until he was finally granted legal permanent residency.

"It's a millionaire's business, and they are living off profits from each one of the people who go through there every single night," said Guzman, now a cable installer in Durham, N.C. "It's our money that we earn as taxpayers every day that goes to finance this."

news.yahoo.com...

In another instance of abuse, it was reported that CCA was charging inmates five dollars per minute for phone calls at one facility in Georgia.

www.americanhumanist.org...

edit on 21-8-2012 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
It's always about the almighty dollar and it's a shame. Regardless, giving jobs to illegals while millions of citizens are unemployed and trying to feed and care for their families isn't right.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
When you have prison systems on the stock exchange you know they have to keep them full for maximum profit. After all we imprison more people than any other country.

Which is why our dear leader keeps the drug war going at full tilt. He can't have a fascist regime without the support of a corporate prison system.

/TOA

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Excellent thread OP. Scary stuff but well researched

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
This GEO group is now over in Canada trying to lobby our polypticians.
With Stephen Harper's Omnibus crime bill, combined with closing old prisons, the time is perfect for a good lobbiest to bend the rubber arms of corporate friendly politicians who wallow in intellectual ignorance of the highest magnitude.

Fair questions since the Conservatives on election campaign trials have talked of spending billions on building more prisons. But it’s even more fair when you consider that registered as a lobbyist in Ottawa on crime bill issues is none other than The GEO Group Inc., a $1.3-billion dollar American private for profit prison company that trades on the New York stock exchange. Registered with the Office of the Commissioner of Lobbying of Canada as registrant 779026-278825-2 is the THE GEO Group Inc, One Park Place Suite 700, Boca Raton, FL GEO is also listed as the client of The Parliamentary Group, a registered lobbying organization which lists former Reform Party MP Deb Grey as a partner. Grey was the Reform’s first election member of parliament whose legislative assistant is now Prime Minister Stephen Harper. Meanwhile perhaps it is time for prisons to be privatized and contracted out? If the warehousing of violent criminals can be done for less, and that saved money to invest into the law abiding, is it such a bad idea? One group on line thinks it is — urging Canadians to sign their “Say NO to private (for profit) prisons” petition at www.ipetitions.com...

I see a day when opportunities to break the law and get caught will become very easy.
TV and Advertisements will glorify lawlessness as a sales pitch to get people into Con College.
Don't think so? Is it too hard to believe the corporate media and the corporate prison system won't work hand in hand?
If Stephen Harper our dear leader of Canuckistan had his way, he'd throw every Canuckistinian pothead in prison for life.
We don't have private pens yet though.
YaY Canada!
Stephen Harper, wants more prisons built at the cost of billions while the crime rate is going down, why?
Just why?
Ideology, or Private Prisons?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Do not forget the cheap labor prisons provide. $2 a day would be generous for most.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I love that speech. Our President is such an approachable, honest man (who has everything under control).

"You can uh, join the military or, uh, go to college."

College....Yeah.... we need more soldiers. Especially soldiers who's citizenship is on the line.
This will help them make the moral choices in the time of need.

Sounds like "you want to be a citizen, well here is the draft from vietnam, it now applies to you."

top topics

join