It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Orange - Red Orb UFO Sighting - Brook Park, Ohio

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
This is my first thread so don't burn me please (not in that way either
). I'll start with some previous sightings.

The first time I had seen a orb similar to this was sometime this past June '12. I was outside roughly around midnight and was facing my apt building when I noticed a reddish orb like fireball floating in the sky. I would say it was roughly 2x as bright as any airplane I've seen, and looked like it was burning. After watching it for about 20 seconds, I ran inside to get something to record it with. By the time I made it back outside it was gone.

The second time was on July 17th, 2012, while my son and I was on our way to the 24hr grocery store. My son was playing on his kindle fire while sitting in the passenger seat, I was driving, and my son says to me "Dad, what's that light in the sky?". I glanced over, thinking it was going to be a airplane or something, and I immediately noticed a bright blood red light, instantly I suspected that it must have been what I seen the month before, so I pulled over into a empty parking lot. We both got out and watched the object. I noted the time was 11:31.

The object was a orb, and it pulsated between 2 colors, deep blood red and brownish orange, it was illuminated with each of the 2 colors for about 750ms each . It was again 2x brighter than any airplane I had seen. From our vision, it's path was going from right to left. About 1 minute into the sighting, it changed directions slightly. I would say it's path was equal to a hockey stick, except when it changed the direction at the curve of the hockey stick, it was abrupt. There was no sounds, and no airplanes in the sky. It appeared to be definitely below the cloud layer, and the sky was relatively clear. After it proceeded in that direction for about 20 seconds, it began to fade. The duration of it fading was 4-5 seconds. I would describe it as if someone used a dimmer switch to turn off the lights, It was extremely bright, then within 4-5 seconds, it was completely off. The oddest thing about it was that you could still see something there after it was no longer illuminated, similar to a car driving at night with the headlights off. There was no lights at all, only a shape, which we couldn't actually describe, similar to a airplane that's far away, which was being illuminated by the moon. Both my son and I was able to follow it without it being illuminated for about 15 seconds before we could no longer distinguish it from the sky.

That night completely annoyed me ever since, because it would have been such clear as day footage, if I only had brought my iPod, or even my cellphone. Pretty much every night since then I've went outside and looked around for a few mins, just hoping to see something like that agian. Unfortunately I know these things are almost once in a lifetime events, and that's if your lucky.

So, just a few hours ago it looks like I got pretty damn lucky. I'm hoping maybe we can figure out what it is that I caught.

I was standing outside my apt, pacing back and forth for about 30 mins while talking on the phone when this orb comes over my building / treeline behind my building. I quickly ran inside and grabbed my iPad 3. About 20 seconds had elapsed from when I first spotted it.

Unfortunately my iPad ran out of HD space when I was about to step back to steady the iPad on my vehicle. I then had to quickly delete some old vids to make space. About 20-25 secs had past before I filmed this one.

The object was Orange, and pretty bright. It looked well below the cloud line, maybe 600ft? It looked kinda like it was burning. At the end it seems to drift up VERY high before it slowly disappears. There was no sound at all.

Weather for location

Wunderground has the wind direction between 10pm and 11:51pm as East - Calm. Another website I checked also stated winds as S-SE for 5am Aug 19th - 2012.

Ma p of location

We are about 2 miles east of the Airport. The video was shot with me facing East - South East

Map of Wind and Object Flight Path

Live Flight Data for Location

Archive Flight Data Screen shots (so we can always find and trace the flight numbers / paths for future use)
Flights Overview
Flight 1
Flight 2
Flight 3
Flight 4

So, what is this then?

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Looks like a lantern.

Have you seen a lantern in the sky before? (As in would you know one if you saw one)

BTW. Nice write up

edit on 19-8-2012 by dsm1664 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by DeboWilliams

The object was Orange, and pretty bright. It looked well below the cloud line, maybe 600ft? It looked kinda like it was burning.

This plus the videos and the rest of your description point in just one direction I'm afraid , you saw a lantern .
Here's another for comparison

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I'm not quite sold on the idea that it was a lantern. Especially considering that the winds would be carrying it the other direction, since the flight path it was moving in would be going against the winds, as shown in the WU data and the map I drawn out. Also when it disappeared, it disappeared because it was far away from us, and not because it dimmed out. As if, from our point of view, it was heading directly away from us and at a upward angle. In person, it seemed to get smaller and smaller, rather than staying at the same height and simply getting dimmer. I won't 100% dismiss it being a lantern, but at the time being, the data that I could find so far would make that the less likely observation. I have submitted to MUFON as well though, maybe someone could dig up something else that I might have overlooked?

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Especially considering that the winds would be carrying it the other direction

The direction of wind is not constant at different heights , wind blowing in one direction may be a different direction at varying levels .

This could account for your observation

Here's a video of a group of what I believe to be lanterns over Brook Park from 2010

Well researched thread though ..... Good work

edit on 19-8-2012 by gortex because: Edit to add

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
After re-watching the original videos, the youtube video really butchers the quality / brightness - contrast. I need a place that I can upload the raw videos. They are each around 120mb in .mov format.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

I don't doubt that this is possible, however all websites that I have checked all report that winds was pushing east, south east. Unless ofcoarse all of the websites retrieve their data from the exact same source (which could be possible), you would expect to see some variation to support that theory. Perhaps we could find one 2 that could give us a elevation to compare? ie one was taken at 500ft, one at 1000ft? (not sure if that's even plausible haha). Either way, I would appreciate if we could just stick to actual verifiable facts, because debunkers would expect nothing less if the tables was turned.

I don't mean that in a harsh way, but I would sleep better if, we could simply 100% dismiss as lanterns being the likely culprit, aside from simple video comparisons and assumptions, after all, just because 2 sedan cars from a distance would look the same, regardless of what make or model they are, doesn't mean they are of the same make and model.

Let's try to keep pushing at this though

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   

The lantern theory is the best fit in my view given your detailed explanation of what you saw , the object appeared to be burning and was red orange slowly drifting in the sky , this in my experience is a classic lantern description.

Now that is of course just my opinion and if you don't agree with it that is your prerogative , I wish you well with your investigation and hope you find a suitable explanation for what you saw

edit on 19-8-2012 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

never mention "burning" when describing something like this because the Chinese Lanternites will come running.

ooops too late

edit on 19-8-2012 by bottleslingguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeboWilliams

Let's try to keep pushing at this though

it's futile in this forum to mention dots of light with a black background because it gives too little information to really be able to draw any firm conclusions. It could be someone on the roof of that building with a light on a stick.

Stop worrying about what "experts" in front a of a computer screen think and think about the experience for yourself and what it has done for your thoughts on ufos. None of these people were there so they really have no say in the matter but if you care to have them mix their ideas with your actual experience then it's your funeral. my advice? just move on because it's no different than the thousands of others before it.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeboWilliams
reply to post by gortex

I don't doubt that this is possible, however all websites that I have checked all report that winds was pushing east, south east. Unless ofcoarse all of the websites retrieve their data from the exact same source (which could be possible), you would expect to see some variation to support that theory. Perhaps we could find one 2 that could give us a elevation to compare? ie one was taken at 500ft, one at 1000ft? (not sure if that's even plausible haha). Either way, I would appreciate if we could just stick to actual verifiable facts, because debunkers would expect nothing less if the tables was turned.

Gortex is right. Wind direction and speed is different from the ground all the way towards space. And it is impossible to judge the height of something in the sky. Perception is incredibly skewed. Unless you know the exact altitude, all the website checking on wind will be futile....

IMO, it looks and moves like lanterns too.....and as a disclaimer, I am not the final authority....but IMO after 5 years or so of being incredibly active in this forum, you just start to know what to look for and can easily spot things....

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Has anyone noticed this post on MUFON Here? Specifically that there seems to be a rise in sightings regarding these orbs, especially this section

“FIREBALL” PHENOMENON CONTINUES TO BE REPORTED TO NUFORC The sightings of red, orange, or yellow “fireballs,” or “orbs,” a phenomenon that NUFORC has addressed frequently over the last fourteen months, continue to be reported to our Center. The reports of the mysterious objects, reported now from around the world, were an almost a daily event during June and July, and we still do not have what we consider to be an adequate explanation for the phenomenon.

The only possible explanation of terrestrial origin we can imagine is the release of so-called “Chinese” lanterns in the night sky, but many of the reports NUFORC has received seem to be inconsistent with that theory. First, the objects are often seen to travel in directions that differ from those of the prevailing winds, suggesting that some of the objects are self-propelled. Moreover, many seemingly reliable witnesses have reported that some of the objects are seen to maneuver relative to one another, and occasionally, they are witnessed to suddenly accelerate and move quickly out of sight. If these reports are accurate, they tend to militate against the possibility of lanterns, we believe.

I have also furthered my investigation regarding the winds of that night, with both jetstream, and other winds measured from local weather stations, which still shows that winds was pushing in the opposite direction of the orb.

I have thought long and hard about this since that night. The concept of it being a Chinese lantern seems even more less likely when taking all available information into consideration. The factors that I have thought about is the date in relation to the 4th of July, the fact that there wasn't multiple recorded, the location nearest fireworks store which is over 40 mins away, not including that Chinese lanterns themselves are illegal in Ohio. With it being as late was it was at night. All these, including weather data, as well as the flight characteristics displayed in the video, all point to Chinese lanterns NOT being the what was recorded

To simply put, the facts are substantial enough to warrant further investigation

In my official MUFON report, there has been 2 people who have commented on it. They have stated to have seen something that matches my description, that same night as well, around the same time, and are also near the airport.

UFO Stalker

In light of this, I have decided to write up a few FOIA requests to my local library (located about 400 feet south east of the sighting, which has a security camera located outside that's facing east), the local Police department regarding any radio chatter or phone calls about a anomaly around the time of sighting, The Ohio department of transportation (which has a few live-streaming webcams on the highway, one that is 1 mile south that's facing north, and 2 webcams about 500 ft from sighting location that's facing west) as well as the FAA regarding any radar data or communication from any callers or pilots during that time.

The fact is, it came from somewhere, and the footage shows enough to plot a reasonable path. I don't believe it to be wise to simply sweep under the rug
edit on 21-8-2012 by DeboWilliams because: spelling

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   

not including that Chinese lanterns themselves are illegal in Ohio.

I'm afraid you are misinformed , I can find no mention that they are illegal but I did find this .

Ohio Insurance Institute (OII) and Ohio Fire Marshal’s office provide a list of resources on Ohio fireworks laws, safety guides and US fireworks-related statistics.... June 28, 2012

1) What’s legal to use?
The only fireworks that are legal for consumer use in Ohio are “trick and novelty” items such as sparklers, snaps, glow snakes and smoke bombs.
These include: Auto foolers with and without report, bat snaps, bobby traps, Chinese fun snaps, cigarette loads, fun snaps, ghost and bat snaps, ghost bomb snaps, gravity pak-snaps, magnum poppers, flame-proof party poppers, sky lanterns and trick bank matches.
www.newstalk910wltp.com...

What Fireworks are Legal in Ohio

I have watched your videos again and added to your description I still see nothing to suggest you didn't see a lantern

Originally posted by bottleslingguy

never mention "burning" when describing something like this because the Chinese Lanternites will come running.

So you think its best to cover up information on the sighting so as to sway people to the unexplained Orb hypothesis ....Nice

edit on 21-8-2012 by gortex because: Edit to add

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

While it seems that it isn't easy to find information regarding Chinese sky lanterns, some digging must be done.

In response to your post,

For example, the "Ohio Relay Video" you posted, contrary to the similarity in name, Refers to Ohio County in Kentucky, ocmonitor.com... , which is located in another state, so I'm not sure as to the purpose of you posting it, unless it was to simply show people releasing sky lanterns

It also seems that Chinese lanterns are NOT listed in the exemptions listed here codes.ohio.gov...

The information listed on this government website www.com.ohio.gov... would definitely give it a firework classification

“Fireworks.” Any composition or device prepared for the purpose of producing a visible or an audible effect of combustion, deflagration, or detonation, except ordinary matches and except as provided in section 3743.80 of the Revised Code

So it seems that it would indeed be deemed illegal to ignite in the state of ohio
edit on 21-8-2012 by DeboWilliams because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   

So it seems that it would indeed be deemed illegal to ignite in the state of ohio

The link you provided refers to fireworks , things that go bang ..... lanterns have no percussive element .
I see no reference to lanterns in that link and don't believe it does show they are Illegal in Ohio .

This link shows they are available in Ohio from what I assume is a reputable retailer , so hardly illegal .
American Fireworks in Hudson, Ohio

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Ohio law requires a exhibitors license to ignite any firework that is not listed in the exemption. Any adult can legally purchase 1.4g consumer fireworks from firework stores, but a waiver must be signed stating that you will be transporting it out of state with 48hrs.

The main question is if the sky lantern is classified as a firework, which it doesn't clearly state on any official channels that "Chinese Lanterns" or "Sky Lanterns" is, or isn't for that matter. So, I have emailed the Division of State Fire Marshal for clarification.
edit on 21-8-2012 by DeboWilliams because: addition

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

The main question is if the sky lantern is classified as a firework

This Link I posted earlier would seem to answer that question , its from a year ago so unless the law has changed since then they're on the OK list , or table going by the picture

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
That picture posted by that Jane doe doesn't verify the legalities of anything, unless ofcoarse your implying that if its in a picture, then it must be legit

What I find interesting is the fact that, while she states she went down the "Novelty section" of a store that, mind you, ALSO sells fireworks which cannot be ignited legally without a permit.

She also quotes this

What fireworks are legal in Ohio? Here is a list that I acquired that are legal in Ohio: Smoke items (see review below), Sparklers (see review below), Snakes (see review below), Snaps & Toy Trick Novelties including: auto foolers with and without report, bat snaps, bobby traps, Chinese fun snaps, cigarette loads, fun snaps (see review below), ghost and bat snaps, ghost bomb snaps, gravity pak-snaps, magnum poppers, party poppers that are flame proof (see review below), and trick bank matches.

Unless I am blind, I don't see Chinese or Sky Lanterns listed anywhere in there.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
And here is the response.

McCann, Denny [email protected]
2:15 PM (1 hour ago)

to Sue, Sheryl, Ashley, me
Mr. ******,

Per an opinion from NFPA the sky lantern is considered a ‘Flame Effect’ when utilized before a proximate audience. Therefore compliance with section 3311 of the Ohio Fire Code is mandatory, permits and licensed flame effects exhibitors are required.

Hope this helps,

Dennis McCann

C. Dennis McCann, Jr.
Staff Engineer
Ohio Department of Commerce
Division of State Fire Marshal
8895 E. Main St., Reynoldsburg, Ohio 43068
(614) 728-5460

www.com.ohio.gov

This message and any response to it may constitute a public record and thus may be publicly available to anyone who requests it.

Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 10:08 AM
To: webfmtr
Subject: Fireworks Classification Clarification

Hello,

I am requesting a clarification on the classification of "Chinese Lanterns" or "Sky Lanterns". Are they classified as a firework that is not exempt (classification as a novelty), and therefor the ignition of one requires a exhibitors license in Ohio?

Thanks,

So, now that that is settled, shall we move on to matters which actually furthers the investigation?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Wunderground has the wind direction between 10pm and 11:51pm as East - Calm. Another website I checked also stated winds as S-SE for 5am Aug 19th - 2012.

Calm means no surface wind so direction is sort of irrelevant but in your map showing wind direction you are showing a west wind and a northwest wind. Wind direction is the direction from which the wind is coming, not where it is going.

It looked well below the cloud line, maybe 600ft?

There is really no way to judge the altitude of a light in the sky and trying to ascertain absolute movement can be difficult. For example, a rising object can present the illusion of horizontal movement.

I don't think you can rule out a lantern and that is very much what it looks like. It sounds like one of your neighbors likes them.
edit on 8/21/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join