It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bendable battery and LED, first functional all-flexible electronic system

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

All-in-one flexible LED system integrated with a bendable Li-ion battery on a flexible plastic substrate. Image credit: Koo, et al. ©2012 American Chemical Society

By connecting a new flexible, thin-film Li-ion battery to a flexible organic LED, a team of researchers from South Korea has demonstrated the first fully functional all-flexible electronic system. In other words, they have shown the total integration of a flexible display and battery on a single plastic substrate without the help of bulk electronics. The achievement relies on a new fabrication method that enables flexible batteries to work with a variety of electrode materials, overcoming previous electrode limitations.

PhysOrg

With a bit of imagination, this could be used for just about anything.
My first thought is, having electronics like this put smoothly under the skin without any problems.
For good or for worse I might add.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
That is awesome technology. It's a shame to see it get as few views and comments as it has (namely NONE). Imagine how awesome this would be as a children's toy. A bendy flexy screen they can watch their stuff on without breaking it.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by roguetechie

I to think this is among the coolest things as of late(after the Mars landing
) and it should have a huge area of usage.
As you mentioned, children´s toys and general small devices. Watches, phones and all those basic things.
Smart fabrics have been around for some time, but now it will finally be possible to also incorporate the power-sourse in clothings and such.
How about a winter-hat that still is as smooth and bendable as the usual fabric, but with inbuilt power-sourse, heating system, mp3 player and and a small display to control it all

Though there is far better use of this tech than my winter-hat idea

edit on 11-8-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

join