It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you believe in God?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I've reached a point in my life where I've begun to question things, specifically, God and the nature of faith. I believe in a creator, though I'm not really sure who he (or she) is. I have a hard time looking at the world around me and attributing it's beauty to a mere cosmic accident. However, I don't feel like I have any personal experience with God, no grand epiphany that made me KNOW that he existed. I've just always felt it in my heart.

Which leads me to my question : Why do you believe in God? Do you believe in God in the traditional sense, or do you have a differing vision of him or her?

Now please remember, I'm asking those who DO believe in God. If you don't believe, that's a perfectly valid opinion to which you are certainly entitled but, please, don't derail the thread trying to convince those who do believe that there is no God. Please be respectful of others and their faith.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
all things come from "nothing". explore it, because belief can never beat experience

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
The only logical answer is that YES "God" does exist.. But not as you think, God is simply the creator, Meaning the universe..

There is no physical being, or supernatural being.. No heaven, No hell.. Only Life.. And that can not be disputed.. Don't put blind faith in fake Deity's..

Invest your time in science.. Where you will find the truly rewarding answers that most seek..

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by biggmoneyme

But I don't understand how "something" can come from nothing. Simply acknowledging nothing makes it something...doesn't it?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre
The only logical answer is that YES "God" does exist.. But not as you think, God is simply the creator, Meaning the universe..

There is no physical being, or supernatural being.. No heaven, No hell.. Only Life.. And that can not be disputed.. Don't put blind faith in fake Deity's..

Invest your time in science.. Where you will find the truly rewarding answers that most seek..

I don't even know that I can truly call it "faith". It's just me simply acknowledging the fact that something greater than myself exists and most likely is my reason for existence.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I do not believe in God per-se but I do believe something greater exists out there. There is just too much coincidence and differing theories that all seem to make some sort of sense. The connections we continue to find in things and knowledge itself just seems too perfect for there not to be. All new ideas are formed from the collective knowledge of the past. We are all working off of each-others knowledge and every idea is a result of everything learned up to that point, but where did this knowledge initiate, was it truly a fluke and even if so it has led us to math which seems to connect everything like this is some grand design. My ideas of what God is or is not change almost daily because I love to ponder theories of existence but the one constant is the feeling of something greater and I guess you could say pondering what or who it is seems to make me happy.
edit on 10-8-2012 by g0dhims3lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by g0dhims3lf
My ideas of what God is or is not change almost daily because I love to ponder theories of existence but the one constant is the feeling of something greater and I guess you could say pondering what or who it is seems to make me happy.

That's exactly how I feel. Always questioning things...expanding on what I believe. I wasn't raised in a home that really discussed religion or God. We never attended any sort of church or temple. Maybe that's why I tend to question things so much. My exposure to faith really didn't start until after I left my parent's home and at that point it was all what I believed, not what I'd been taught.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by U4ea82

i believe in the force(not the classical sense such as star wars, no telekenesis) but along those lines, the universe is connected by something there is no he or she, only it.
edit on 10-8-2012 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by U4ea82

Dear U4ea82,

I don't know that I can give just one reason because it wasn't one thing that led me to believe. One thing that leads me to my belief is the mere existence of self awareness and consciousness. If we accept Einstein then energy cannot be created or destroyed, merely reconfigured. The same must therefore be true of consciousness except even more so. If consciousness cannot be destroyed then we would expect to see some evidence that it survives after our bodies die and we do, it is called the Near Death Experience and usually involves interacting with other consciousnesses and the realization that there is an even greater consciousness behind it all.

I could talk about the bible and historical evidence; but, those are really just ways to understand the nature of God and life better. I think we all know that we are not alone, we know their is a greater consciousness because we all know that we are not alone.

I think life is about coming to the realization that we are part of the consciousness of the universe and defining for ourselves who we will be as individuals and a humanity as a whole. I think we have to define ourselves before we could ever truly experience God directly. On a less personal level, science and quantum physics show me God and how he operates. I believe he operates through nature and the bible says that we can know him by seeing the stars and the trees and all of his creation because it is not chaos, there is a logic to it. It did not happen by random. Those are some of my reasons.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

I think I understand what you're saying...sort of like, the essence of "God" is all around us, in everything but, not an actual tangible entity.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by U4ea82

Yeah I suspect many are this way which is why I always just say I am a spiritual person open to everything not limited to one and appreciative of all forms of expression whether it be art, religion, science, "the force" etc.. everything has something that can teach us new and exciting facts about ourself and eachother.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Thank you. This was the exact type of answer I was looking for. It's really difficult to put faith into words, or at least make it articulate enough for others to understand but, your answer was actually really clear to me. I appreciate you sharing it with me.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by U4ea82
I don't feel like I have any personal experience with God, no grand epiphany that made me KNOW that he existed. I've just always felt it in my heart.

I believe in God because I have had several personal experiences and what you call an "epiphany".

Because of these I KNOW without ANY question what is real and what is truth.

What you feel in your heart is the TRUTH.

NEVER let go of that truth, hang on to it with ALL you have.

That is His love for you personally.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Either my mind can bend the universe to my favor or there is a God.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

I read somewhere once, and I wish I could remember where, that act of questioning God, can in fact be him leading us to him. Sort of as if he was saying "Hey, I'm right here. You just need to pay attention."

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065
Either my mind can bend the universe to my favor or there is a God.

This definitely made me smile

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by U4ea82

What if we were simply a thought of something we could not even fathom. Being that time is relavent what feels like an eternity to us might be a blink of an eye thought of something greater. The whole universe itself could just be a thought floating around in the brain of what one might call the "all knowing". When I dream sometimes there are others in my dream and they seem real and interact as if they exist. Reality has limitations that the mind does not always want to accept maybe because it knows more than we think it does which is why we constantly search for spirituality thinking this is the way to enlightenment of true knowingness

PS: One of many theories that I actually recently posted in another thread.
edit on 10-8-2012 by g0dhims3lf because: added input

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I too started asking the same questions as you are. This only fed my hunger to learn more about other cultures way of living along with spirit. I have learned so much and have experiencing many unexplained situations that I started realizing what it was all coming down to. I believe that every atom (intelligent energy) in this universe and beyond is a part of a whole single entity, that which I can comfortably call God. That is the most simple way I can put it, even though it goes much deeper than that.

Once you become aware of your own inner power, you begin to fall into synchronicity with everything you face every day, which I see as 'us going with the flow of life, rather than fighting it'. That is when you begin to experience what you call 'God'. This is the path I walk, I know everybody else thinks differently. To each his own =) Hope you find what you are looking for.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by U4ea82

odd experiences ya know?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by g0dhims3lf

It's crazy thought on the surface but, the longer you consider it the more it seems plausible.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join