It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Army's New Giant Super Blimp - Wonder How Many "Sightings" That One Caused?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

security.blogs.cnn.com...

Army's all-seeing, super blimp makes debut flight

The U.S. Army has launched the debut flight of its massive Long Endurance Multi-Intelligence Vehicle (LEMV), a souped-up blimp designed to fly continuously for 21 days and provide full surveillance of an area.

The LEMV was launched Tuesday from Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst in New Jersey. The test flight lasted about 90 minutes.

The all-seeing airship is longer than football field and taller than a seven-story building, according to maker Northrop Grumman. Its shape separates the 21st-century "hybrid air vehicle," as Northrop Grumman calls it, from the blimps that have flown over sporting events for decades.

The LEMV is aerodynamic, with a shape closer to an airfoil than an elongated football like classic blimps. So while old-school blimps stay aloft because of the helium inside, the LEMV uses the helium and its shape to achieve lift.

security.blogs.cnn.com...

---

Now imagine if someone happened to spot this thing, HUGE, silently, obviously very much "UFO shaped"...at one of its test flights?

edit on 10-8-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

POSTING WORK WRITTEN BY OTHERS
Going forward, if you post something that is not 100% your own writing or work you must use the EX TAG, post NO MORE THAN 10% of the original (or three paragraphs, whichever is least), and GIVE A LINK TO THE SOURCE MATERIAL. If the work you are posting is not on the internet, from a book for example, you MUST give a credit for that Book ( the title), its Author and Publisher.

edit on August 10th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
It Reminds me of F- TROOP: "It Is Balloon!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

Uhhh... Super Blimp?

Trillions on Defense spending, and we get a Super Blimp!?

What's next, the all new Super Catapult?

Someone, somewhere is sitting on a big pile of taxpayer money, laughing their as* off!

edit on 10-8-2012 by tvtexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I'm more than confident that this and earlier test versions of it have been seen and reported as UFOs.

There's been talk over the last decade or two of designing a troop carrier, and equipment payload design capable of carrying several main battle tanks and 100s of troops.

There are of course the 'smaller' versions too; more akin to drones.

... but, if it's silent, and is in the sky, it MUST be a UFO and/or teh Aliens (!!!).

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Blimp to blimp dogfighting will be the future

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
How did I miss this? It's like 10 minutes from my house!

Hope to see it flying around more!
(probably will, their regular sized US ARMY blimp is often seen around my house)
edit on 10-8-2012 by porschedrifter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought read somewhere they are going to build a bigger one.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Well if people see it at such a distance they cant tell what it is then they will think its a UFO. Just like 99% of all UFO sightings we see these days, they are just dots in the distance.

guy 1 - "whats that in the distance..?"

guy 2 - "i dont know, its to far away"

guy 1 - "Quick make a report at MUFON , it must be visiting aliens!!!"
edit on 10-8-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Lakehurst, New Jersey? Gee, that's a very lucky place for Blimps, isn't it? I'm sure they can just feeeel the good juju flowing all around them.

Kinda like naming your new boat the Whistling Pig and painting it all blue.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Well apart from having quite obvious stabilising fins, propellers, looking like a classic blimp, flying like a classic blimp and having English written on it, looks just like...... errrrr.... a blimp...

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
No doubt this vehicle and others like it are responsible for the vast majority of "unknowns" that feature instant acceleration and incredible maneuverability. Plus it's whisper quiet at close range, just like the unknowns. Check it out.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
quiet how? Sounds like a blimp to me very loud and not likely to be mistaken by anyone I know for a UFO unless it`s just drifting in the wind. I`m having trouble thinking of a military need for something like that.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Wow,

This can be used for Urban environment.
more then 20 days hoovering above certain area's.
If a big metropolitan area like New york, San francisco, LA has massive amount of riots going on they can use these for Monitoring the streets from above and even strike down with an act of fire if needed.

Looks like we are going into a direction that i do not like.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
wow a blimp..

this should certainly help the world..

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Orkojoker

Your right. How can anyone mistaken this thing for a ufo...cant you see how fast its going!!!! Speed of light. I also like the awesome colors it displays... it was made by the u.s army too! WOW This is the most incredible footage of a blimp have ever seen. Humanity is going places.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by rabzdguy

Right?
And at the bargain basement price of 3 for a mere 1/2 Billion...

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

I see a defensive flaw in that ballon.The average 10 year old could likely pop that sucker with their BB-Gun.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
It reminds me of the alternative reality in Fringe, where these things were a regular part of the land(sky)scape. I was imaging if the day will come when these things are everywhere, but at a cost of $155 million dollars each
, I think money could be better spent elsewhere, especially since these things could be shot down so easily.(disclaimer: I am in no way promoting the idea of shooting a blimp)
edit on 11-8-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by cayote
If a big metropolitan area like New york, San francisco, LA has massive amount of riots going on they can use these for Monitoring the streets from above and even strike down with an act of fire if needed.

Looks like we are going into a direction that i do not like.

This was my first thought too. Like the drones that were supposed to be used in battle, these will undoubtedly be used to spy on American citizens. And considering the enormous size, you can just imagine the technology that will be onboard.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Don't worry about it folks we here in Canada already know how to shoot one of those invasive suckers down toot sweet!

You simply drop your pants

If it worked here it will work anywhere.
Links below
cnews.canoe.ca...
boingboing.net...
regator.com...
www.youtube.com...
Drop yours and drop a blimp all in one motion.....LOL

Regards, Iwinder
edit on 11-8-2012 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join