It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Question for Gay and Anti-Gay Extremists - You know who you are

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Glass
I didn't say you were wrong in pointing out that this is not natural selection. You said that a transhumanist does not, or cannot, believe in natural selection, which is not necessarily true. One can still believe that natural selection takes its course (natural selection still exists), but we as a species have abandoned it as I had said before.

Well, not so much abandoned it as trumped it with technology.

Everything we do in terms of medicine is contrary to natural selection. If we had not been trying so hard to save the sick, they would have died off and the weakness to those forms of sickness would eventually disappear.

No, that would only apply to genetic diseases, and those which kill people before they reproduce, which is a very small number of diseases. To give up medicine just to wipe out those few things would be madness.
edit on 10-8-2012 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Originally posted by Glass
I didn't say you were wrong in pointing out that this is not natural selection. You said that a transhumanist does not, or cannot, believe in natural selection, which is not necessarily true. One can still believe that natural selection takes its course (natural selection still exists), but we as a species have abandoned it as I had said before.

Well, not so much abandoned it as trumped it with technology.

...yeah. Same idea, different words. We don't follow that law anymore is my point.

Everything we do in terms of medicine is contrary to natural selection. If we had not been trying so hard to save the sick, they would have died off and the weakness to those forms of sickness would eventually disappear.

No, that would only apply to genetic diseases, and those which kill people before they reproduce, which is a very small number of diseases. To give up medicine just to wipe out those few things would be madness.
edit on 10-8-2012 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

Yes, it would be madness. It would also be fully allowing natural selection to take its course, which apparently according to the OP is something that we can only fully endorse or oppose.
edit on 10/8/2012 by Glass because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Glass

Dear Glass,

The problem with little Tommy/Tammy is that he is already uncomfortable with his own body, which is probably not his lesbian parents' fault. Transsexualism occurs in the children of heterosexual couples too; the fact that his parents are both women probably made him more comfortable in expressing his gender identity earlier in his life. Hormone blocking medication may not be the best option, but it is their choice and their son has expressed consent to the extent that he is able to understand, granted he may not understand the long term consequences but it is his life, not yours or mine, so we shouldn't pass judgement.

Lets be clear, I did not pass judgement. In fact, I looked beyond the headline to get the rest of the story and discovered that the lesbian parents were not as they were portrayed. They seem to be concerned parents attempting to do what is best. That does not mean that we should not consider the implications about these technologies and take a position. The conversation needs to happen now before we just blindly accept genetic modifications. Just because we can do something doesn't mean it is a good idea.

<< 1  2   >>

join