It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pieces of The Puzzle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Lets use a metaphor to talk about the 4th dimension (or what you call the 5th.. not that the name changes anything):

There is a puzzle that has consciousness/is alive. Each piece in that puzzle appear to themselves as individuals. One piece can look at another piece of the puzzle and proclaim that it is a unique entity that is vastly different than the other pieces around it. And why shouldn't it? No two pieces are alike. The drawing is dramatically different on each piece, and their sides/rounded edges are all different too. No two pieces are the same.

But then one day a piece says to the piece next to it, "You are me, and I am you." The other piece laughs and proclaims, "No silly! We are completely different in every way." For the piece did not realize that they are all pieces in a larger puzzle. They are 2 dimensional creatures. They can't zoom out into a 3D world and see the whole puzzle below them. Instead to them every part of that world looks drastically different, and every puzzle piece in that world appears different.

Now lets take the same story and rephrase the words a bit:

There is a universe/reality that has consciousness/is alive. Each person in that universe appear to themselves as individuals. One person can look at another person and proclaim that they are a unique entity that is vastly different from everyone else around them. And why shouldn't they? No two people are alike. Their memories are dramatically different from person to person, and their bodies all come in different shapes and sizes too. No two people are the same.

But then one day a person says to the person next to it, "You are me, and I am you." The other person laughs and proclaims, "No silly! We are completely different in every way." For the person did not realize that they are all parts in a larger reality. They are 3 dimensional creatures. They can't zoom out into a 4D world and see the whole universe below them. Instead to them every part of that world looks drastically different, and every creature in that world appears different.

my buddy _angel penned this excellent analogy over at r/pantheism. thought some of y'all might like it.

Cheers!
edit on 8/3/12 by soulshn because: formatting

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Great analogy thanks for sharing with us. S&F

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Great example for beings of humanity, that think they know everything in this Universe. Once they realized they have only seen one dimension of it.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Well yes, the universe is one process made of an infinity of smaller processes, and we can speculate that maybe our universe is itself part of a bigger process. We are part of our universe, and we can say by extension that we are the universe, we are its consciousness, like our brain is part of our body which is made of an infinity of smaller processes. In one way, it is a cruel fate to be able to question the reality and in the same time unable to find the answers, or the truth. Is it a gift or a burden ? Wouldn't we be happier if we were like the lion in the jungle or a bird, not having those questions torturing us ?

I would find the human condition easier to endure if I knew that all humans were asking the same questions and trying to find the answers, if we were all on the same page, vibrating at the same speed, but instead I find us so divided, so angry and fearful. You can watch the docs in my signature if you haven't yet.

The relative distances in the universe, for the fun.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by gosseyn
...I would find the human condition easier to endure if I knew that all humans were asking the same questions and trying to find the answers, if we were all on the same page, vibrating at the same speed, but instead I find us so divided, so angry and fearful...

i think that is what We are here to overcome and learn from. i also think that figuring the lesson out for ourselves is the important part, not just the right answer. i recon we need to be able to show our work

Cheers my friend.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by soulshn

I like it, thanks for sharing Soulshn

While reading your post I was reminded of this joke :-

"Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else"

Peace Out

Ned

top topics

join