It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When do we get an App for our Smartphones???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I have the iPhone 4, with AT&T, although usually on wifi, I have no issues using the regular URL on it, and just hold it sideways so it's easier to read. I'll have to check out the mobile site, but personally I have no issues using the regular site. I would be interested in an app tho, and depending on how it is, I wouldn't mind paying .99 cents for it either.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
For security reasons, it is always better to have a mobile website rather than use an app. Unless you need a feature of the phone (GPS for instance), apps are a waste of time. To please everyone, you would have to support iphone, android, wp8, and RIM. It is wasted effort.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by gariac

Ok, I can see that.

However, my Ipad will not let me go to m.abovetopsecret.com, it reroutes to the regular page.

The actual site does not work properly with the Ipad though. When i view threads it gets stuck on a post and if I try to scroll up or down it jumps right back to the post that it is stuck on.

When I asked Apple about the issue (at the store through a Genius) he claimed it was a website programming issue with safari and moving avatars or gifs, and or moving emoticons.

Would an app fix that?

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

I haven't looked at the code for the ATS mobile page, but basically the way mobile websites work is they inquire an identify from the device. I assume your device is not telling the website you are on a mobile device. To be fair, some people on desktops surf mobile websites to see less advertisements, and ATS is ad supported. ["If the service is free, you are the product."]

I have a php script that reports back the information your browser feeds a website:
www.lazygranch.com...

Here is a list of known user agent strings:
www.useragentstring.com...

I'n guessing here that ATS sniffed your browser, deemed you not on a mobile, and sent you to the desktop website. On a tablet, the desktop is fine

The ipad supports Chrome. I'm not a google fanboi, but those people can code. Incidentally, you can turn off viewing avatars. That alone improves the functionality of ATS. Unfortunately, I don't remember how I turned them off.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

If you run firefox on your ipad, you might be able to use the plugin that lets you change the user agent string.
www.makeuseof.com...
You could try setting up firefox to return the iphone user agent string. It might be worth a try.

Though that page says you can fake that you are on IE, I suggest never doing that. Some websites still default back to activex if they see you are on IE.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by gariac

yeah I can understand that. Lately my work has been too busy to be able to look at the site while out and about, other than that I'm usually home so I just use my computer. Thankfully my wife has gotten into conspiracy stuff thanks to me, so she encourages me to read!

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by gariac

Duh...... I didn't even think about using Chrome. Thank you for your time. Gonna give it a try and see what happens. I use Chrome on the home computer so I am more comfortable with it anyway.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
just popping back to this thread to see what has been promoted. I agree viewing the regular ATS url on an Ipad or other tablet works just fine. I think the best feature that an app could provide is notifications. It would be cool on a data phone to get a notification when you have a reply to a post or thread you created. Maybe set up a thread subscription to notify if a friend or foe posts. Message replies or New Message notifications are a no brainer.
thanks

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by howmuch4another

Check this out and you'll likely find your answers...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Springer...

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Thanks Mark! I have been following and really like the new version and I know it should end the "app" discussion on some level. In regards to my post above is there any consideration for a notification function? I had not seen anything in the iterations and I hope I didn't just skip over that. Also I hope all this is taken as constructive and not as any complaint or criticism.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Regenstorm

theres a mobile version. i go on here on my ipod but the site is the same as a computer

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Being that this is almost 2015, I am shocked that there is no app or support for something like tapatalk. From the standpoint of an average forum browser, I can tell you, I will gravitate to where I have greater access to all my forums such as tapatalk. I'm on the go most of the time, I wish ats were as well. PS not a fan of the mobile browser version.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: homeslixe

Somebody worked their arse off on the mobile browswer. It works fine on my Z10. Maybe you need a better browser.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
this is a list of permissions from a simple barcode scanner app on the play store for an android
meaning when you download it you are giving the app access to the following data on your phone
enless you have access (most new phones will not let you change permissions) to pick what permissions apps have

Device & app history: read your Web bookmarks and history
Contacts: read your contacts
Phone: read call log:
Photos/Media/Files: test access to protected storage
modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
Camera: take pictures and videos
Wi-Fi connection information:view Wi-Fi connections
Other :full network access
connect and disconnect from Wi-Fi
control vibration
control flashlight

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Sorry to be tardy to the party BUT now on android/Chrome you can click the hamburger icon or whatever in the upper right hand corner and select "Add to Home screen"

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I would enjoy an app as well. I feel that it would be more secure and reliable than a mobile site. But then again, ATS is provided to us free of charge, we beggars cannot be choosers.

<< 1   >>

join