It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the cost how, can it be payed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
So in my last post I tossed at you the idea of a lunar school. Here is why I think it can be done. Again it goes back to my faith that people given the chance to do good, will do good.

Remember that bus lady that was bullied. Some guy sets up a little charity for her and next thing you know she has $700,000. That says something about people, It gives me lots of hope that if you give someone the opportunity anything is possible
There are people who will give huge amounts of money if they can write it off on their taxes, and there are people who will give what they can whenever they can just because. This is true for people all around the world.

Ask yourself this....Would you be willing to donate $5 to build a University on the moon? Keep that thought in mind because I will be re-asking you about the value of that five bucks later. If people all over the world were asked to donate for the first dormitory on the moon, for their countries students to live in, do you think they would?
How long do you think it would take before every major university would find a way to get their school its own dorm and classroom?
How many of the greatest minds on the planet would be falling all over themselves to conduct class at this school?
We have the ability to hire SpaceX or any of the other companies to deliver a package for us. We have the ability to get the first classroom module, the first dormitory and the first mess hall sent to location and awaiting assembly.
We just need one place that the every person can go to contribute to a fund to start the ball rolling. If you have a 50 million dollar fund together then you can announce to students....Some of you are going to be going to class on the moon, If you want it to be you then your grades should reflect that
edit on 1-8-2012 by ronnieray123 because: did it again

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ronnieray123

F/S just for the creativity...

I think it's a noble idea, but there are too many things wrong right here on earth. If we're all going to pitch in for something great -- let's start at home. As soon as everyone is housed, fed, educated, and healthy, with clean water and enough to eat and clothing to wear, then sure, I'll pitch in the $5.

Sorry, but, I think you're getting ahead of where we need to be first.

Nice idea, though!!
edit on 1-8-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Wild, I understand your point. Here is my argument to counter it.
Everything you said is valid, you described it perfectly. Nothing we do here seems to have any hope of fixing it.
After all the different attempts nothing has changed, and in some cases gotten worse.
Entertain this thought for me.
Every person that has went into space has come back and said, I realize now that we are just a little blue dot in a great big universe. A handful of people realizing this universal truth is not enough. Teaching a 40 year old man this and sending him home again does nothing,
Teaching one hundred, 22 year old collage students at a time this, each and every semester and then returning those kids home with that knowledge changes the world. Each new group of students, the future business people, the future leaders will have a perspective that no other generation before them has had.
How long has society talked and talked to no avail.......a picture is worth a thousand words, maybe it is time to start taking them where they can see the picture instead of boring them telling them about it

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I would be willing to donate $5 for such a project. Tiny amount of money for a worthwhile cause.

That said, it's hard enough to get teachers, school nurses, doctors, etc to live out in a rural area.
The moon is rural to the extreme.....

I can't even imagine what tuition costs would be

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Snow thank you for the reply,
The tuition for something like that should not be born by the student. If people funded the building of the school through donations, then the school would not exist for profits but for education. In my next post I will delve into that

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ronnieray123

Everything you said is valid, you described it perfectly. Nothing we do here seems to have any hope of fixing it.
After all the different attempts nothing has changed, and in some cases gotten worse.
Entertain this thought for me.
Every person that has went into space has come back and said, I realize now that we are just a little blue dot in a great big universe. A handful of people realizing this universal truth is not enough. Teaching a 40 year old man this and sending him home again does nothing,
Teaching one hundred, 22 year old collage students at a time this, each and every semester and then returning those kids home with that knowledge changes the world. Each new group of students, the future business people, the future leaders will have a perspective that no other generation before them has had.
How long has society talked and talked to no avail.......a picture is worth a thousand words, maybe it is time to start taking them where they can see the picture instead of boring them telling them about it

I appreciate your point as well....
it's a good idea for training our next generation of leaders. Nevertheless, just because it hasn't worked yet doesn't mean it can't.

When my kids were young, I was working as a social worker, running a youth group for immigrant farm-workers' kids. They lived in cinderblock "housing", out in a field. Each family had one room. ONE small room. The itinerant workers kept them very clean, but it was still little more than a "shanty" -- four walls and a roof. My kids were stunned -- yes, I took them to see the "housing".

Perhaps instead of the moon, we could send those kids on overseas "apprenticeships" first .. to experience first-hand how the enslaved, impoverished, oppressed and starving live on a day to day basis. We don't need to go nearly as far as the moon....although I agree the perspective of seeing how tiny we are in the universe would be very impressive on impressionable youth.

Still, it's a bit of "detached" perspective. Like a zoo exhibit, not much more than a holographic image, or a text-book illustration. It's my belief that putting the privileged (even if they're only working class kids who were given an education) youth into the midst of the muck and desperation would open their eyes further.

Actually working among, meeting, and bonding with those in dire straits, who are ill, impoverished, and hopeless/dying, living among them, dealing daily with their real situations, would go a long way to awakening people to the reality that so many billions of people face every day.

And we don't even have to go that far....just a trip to a homeless camp, an urban core filled with blight, a city homeless shelter.....would open up those young eyes.

Sure, I hoped I could "save" the world. I am now aged-out of the system, and acknowledge that it seems hopeless....

but, I'm not ready to give up yet.

Thanks, though, for your innovative, thoughtful idea. It's certainly worth considering if all else continues to fail. Can we first hope that it doesn't? Or, try to do both? Some kids directly into the Earth-based suffering, and some to the moon?

Peace
~wild

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Please keep your topic to one thread. Original discussion HERE.

Closed.

top topics

join