It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radioactive Dragon Eye Zoanthids

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Our world's oceans are a source of endless beauty and inspiration. Countless varieties of plants and animals with such vivid colors that fascinate the imagination of mankind, and no matter how long I look at what the depths of our oceans have created, I am constantly learning and am impressed by what I see.

Today's source of inspiration: The Radioactive Dragon Eye Zoanthids

en.wikipedia.org...

Zoanthids (order Zoantharia also called Zoanthidea or Zoanthiniaria) are an order of cnidarians commonly found in coral reefs, the deep sea and many other marine environments around the world. These animals come in a variety of different colonizing formations and in numerous colors. They can be found as individual polyps, attached by a fleshy stolon or a mat that can be created from small pieces of sediment, sand and rock. The term "zoanthid" refers to all animals within this order Zoantharia, and should not be confused with "Zoanthus", which is one genus within Zoantharia.

It's easy to see how this beautiful lifeform obtained it's name.
(in case you're wondering, I'm pretty sure they aren't really radioactive...
..It's just their name)

Enjoy this wonder of nature.

edit on 1-8-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Ah a fellow reefer

edit on 1-8-2012 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Thats cool, I have some in my reef tank, Reefs are so amazing. Its sad when reefs become bleached and die off, because I truly do know how many little critters inhabite those reefs, just with a small reef at home, you can appreciate what are in our Oceans. Havng a reef tank can be a lot of work, and I dont recommend people just buy corals, it takes tons of dedication, many hours of reading and becoming aware that you are buying living creatures, and hopefully a person buys Frags, and not corals that were butcherd out of the ocean . its easy to become lost in that world for hours, when stairing at a Reef

join