It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I SMELL A RAT!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I'm sure most of you have heard about a program called Snapshot from Progressive Auto Insurance. If you havent, its an option available for their customers to recieve a discount based upon their daily driving skills. This discount crossed my mind the other day and I began to wonder....
How do they get such data from our vehicles?
My biggest interest, what does the privacy notice say?
What are the qualifications to receive the full 30% savings?

Here's what I discovered..
They provide a device that plugs into the on-board diagnostics port underneath the steering wheel, and the device has to remain in your car for at least 6 months to set your ongoing renewal discount.

And here's the information they collect and "keep track of":
-They keep track of how you brake, Progressive considers a hard brake to be a decrease in speed of over 7 mph per second. If a person brakes hard for then 4 times a day they do not qualify.

-The device keeps track of how many miles you drive everyday, and then they are averaged out. To qualify for the discount you must drive under 30 miles per day.

-They keep track of each time the car is started and when it's shut off so they can determine how many times you go out and about on the road and for how long. They also use this information to determine if the driver is a low/med/high risk. 12AM-4AM is considered a high risk because "thats the time of day when the most costly accidents happen".

-Progressive states that they "collect all of this data on a constant basis by uploading it through cell phone technology". (Interesting)

So you can have a discount if we can keep records of your habits, otherwise you can pay full price!

Everything is copied and pasted from their Term & Conditions:

"By participating in Snapshot, you represent that you have the consent of the registered owner of each vehicle in which a device will be installed to (a) install the device, (b) provide information collected by the device to us, and (c) permit us to retain and use the information as described in these terms and conditions. Once the vehicle information is sent to us, the recorded information will be erased from the device. Progressive will retain information collected or derived from the device indefinitely."
- Okay so they get retrieve data when they get the device back, and you will see a discount after 6 months? What happened to collecting data on a constant basis by using cell phone technology?

"There may also be instances where we're required to provide driving information to a state department of insurance in order to support renewal rates."
- Well of course you may be required to provide data to a state department of insurance, just like the rest of the crooks!

"The Snapshot device records vehicle speed and time information, Vehicle Identification Number, G force (in some devices), as well as when the device is connected and disconnected from the vehicle. Other information, such as miles driven and rates of acceleration and braking, is derived from the speed and time information. However, the device does not have GPS, so it does not track vehicle location or whether you're exceeding the speed limit (although, with your consent, we may be able to determine the approximate location of your vehicle using cellular technology in the event of theft). Most devices, including all devices for customers who’ve recently enrolled transmit data wirelessly to and from Progressive."

- I get what their saying, the device doesn't have the a GPS as in the kind we use for directions.. But it does have cell phone technology!!!

The most interesting part to me is the founder Peter Lewis apparently has some connections/ties with the one, the only, George Soros!
Political Ties?

The reason I wrote this thread is because I just wanted to tell everyone to be careful. The globalists seem to get their dirty paws in every cookie jar and it just pi$$e$ me off!!!

Could I be on to something? (Or on something LOL)
Thoughts?
Comments?

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I saw those ads too and wondered many of the questions you just answered. It seems to me to be the start of another way for the insurance companies to track you and adjust your premiums. Want auto insurance? You have to install this device in your car or we'll discontinue you. Thats where its heading, mark my words.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I shudder as I'm thinking back to my learning to drive days...

Dad: in the passenger seat... "slowly, slowly, SLOW DOWN, WATCH THE ROAD, WHAT GEAR ARE YOU JAMMING AT!!!"
Me: Panicking...
Dad: after 10 minutes "That will do for today, HEY, PUT IT IN NEUTRAL! THE PARKING BRAKE!!!!

I'd be so worried and analysing how I'm being judged by the tracker and I'd lose track of the road and how I naturally drive. It's like the stupid speeding fines that sting you for going 3 km over in a 50 zone. You spend more time looking at the speedo than the road!

Do Not Want!

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayFlores
I saw those ads too and wondered many of the questions you just answered. It seems to me to be the start of another way for the insurance companies to track you and adjust your premiums. Want auto insurance? You have to install this device in your car or we'll discontinue you. Thats where its heading, mark my words.

NOTHING surprises me these days! In fact, I was on to something else similiar.. How many people do you know have an iTunes account? Apple being at the top of the food chain, all of us iPhone users enter our info that stays on file at all times... It's not a "add to cart" then "check out" as you go.... Hmmm...

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Qumulys
I shudder as I'm thinking back to my learning to drive days...

Dad: in the passenger seat... "slowly, slowly, SLOW DOWN, WATCH THE ROAD, WHAT GEAR ARE YOU JAMMING AT!!!"
Me: Panicking...
Dad: after 10 minutes "That will do for today, HEY, PUT IT IN NEUTRAL! THE PARKING BRAKE!!!!

I'd be so worried and analysing how I'm being judged by the tracker and I'd lose track of the road and how I naturally drive. It's like the stupid speeding fines that sting you for going 3 km over in a 50 zone. You spend more time looking at the speedo than the road!

Do Not Want!

Oh the good ol days.. My dad always told me "if ya can't find 'em grind 'em!"

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Now driving is being tracked. What I want to know is how they collect the data via cell phone technology!?!? Do they tap into your phone without you knowing it? Things are getting crazy here

Nice find, I never thought about that myself. I suppose that's what they want though

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Now that you posted this... I'm in!

I live 4 miles from work and i'm not an aggrivated driver. I slow down, smoothly. Why would I care if they gps my car? Home, work, home, work and back to home... paranoid much? Premiums go up if you drive during the drunken hour? Fine, check.

Explain why you have a problem with the criteria.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ryguyxiv

All smartphones have the technology to track you. However this device has cell phone technology, one of the paragraphs quotes part of the terms and conditions and says something to the effect of newer devices having the capability to get location info if needed for a stolen car.. Who knows what the heck else!
edit on 7/27/12 by BreeAnna00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by BreeAnna00

Why does this bother you?

If you have a cell phone you're already tracked... why does the car insurance angle bother you? You'll have your phone on you more than you'll be in your vehicle.

Just curious.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

I have nothing to hide either.. However, I'd like to have my privacy respected and lord knows what else it's capable of. What if SHTF, could they kill the engine?

I do have my location services turned off on my phone..
edit on 7/27/12 by BreeAnna00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Rental car companies have been using this technology for years and most people didn’t even realize it. Some even used this technology to charge their customers extra for speeding!

From 2005

The Recent Connecticut Case: Revealing One Company's Surprise Use of GPS

First, let's look at the Connecticut case. It arose because American Car Rental had a policy of charging its clients $150 for "excessive wear and tear" to the rental car, each time they drove over 79 miles per hour.

American knew exactly when that occurred because its subsidiary, Acme Rental, used GPS installed in its cars to monitor renters' speed as they traveled. Whenever GPS reported that the customer drove at least 80mph for more than two minutes at a time, the company charged the customer's credit or debit card $150.

link

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Thanks for this thread and pointing this out..... I always wondered how the heck they kept track of you with that device

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

Now that you posted this... I'm in!

I live 4 miles from work and i'm not an aggrivated driver. I slow down, smoothly. Why would I care if they gps my car? Home, work, home, work and back to home... paranoid much? Premiums go up if you drive during the drunken hour? Fine, check.

Must be nice! I certainly wouldn’t qualify because of the amount of driving I do. This is the same reason I can never lease a car. I can’t stay within the allotted mileage and the cost to add the extra miles I need drives the price to an unreasonable level.

Explain why you have a problem with the criteria.

For me, I wouldn’t want to have my every move tracked. As I pointed out in my last post, rental car companies have used this technology to charge customers extra for speeding. What happens when the state or federal governments start to use this info to issue tickets? Think it can’t happen? Look at all the red light cameras and toll booth cameras. The technology catches you speeding or not paying tolls and your ticket arrives in the mail.

No thanks!

edit on 27-7-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by jheated5
Thanks for this thread and pointing this out..... I always wondered how the heck they kept track of you with that device

No problem! Just wanted to throw it out there for everyone to keep it in mind

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   

If I recall correctly, plugging anything non-diagnostic into the diagnostic port voids your car's warranty. So how is risking a void car warranty and giving up your usage data supposed to save you more money in the long run? Heh, nice try Flo.

edit on 8/2/2012 by Lysis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
All cars have a hidden black box computer. Some where on your car you'll find it. I found the one on my 97 camaro under the middle console. I did'nt know what it was so I asked a mechanic. He said it was a "black-box" type computer that recorded driving habits, just as you said snapshot does.

So in the event of a accident with a claim, the insurance company has their mechanic inspect the car/truck. Download the info, then use your own driving habits against you to deny the claim. Records speed, braking,starting,stopping, at least that's the ones I was told about. Insurance Companies are freaking blood suckers. Never has there ever been a more bogus scam.

top topics

join