It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Brazil Warned of Slum Bloodbath

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Amnesty International has warned that the fighting between the rival gangs in Brazil's Rio de Janiro, will turn into a bloodbath if the authorities fail to act swiftly. The 'turf' wars between drug gangs in the slums have resulted in hundreds of deaths over the years most innocent parties who were caught in fighting. The London bases organisation is pleading with Brazils government to act swiftly and strongly.

news.bbc.co.uk
Turf wars between drug gangs from the city's slums could result in the deaths of many innocent people, the London-based human rights group said.

On Sunday a group of heavily-armed men from Parada occupied Vigario Geral, expelling dozens of families whom they allege have links with the rival gang, Amnesty said.

Correspondents say Rio is one of the most violent cities in the world.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Again political and law enforcement officials fail to protect there people because of hidden agendas and coverups of there own mistakes.

I remember reading about the massacre caused by the police force in the slums in 1993, if i remember correctly no victim was above the age of 25. The police became too cocky when the gangs who had 'found' weapons, which were also owned by the police, and began to fight in the open streets with the other gang. Twenty-one innocent people were killed and many injured.

I dont think this will stop as drugs and money influence a lot of people in countries such as Brazil, and without outside help, the situation will never improve because of the inside corruption of high ranking civilians.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Rio slums are an ugly ways. A lot of them barely see a police prescence. Well, I'm not I blame them. The Rio police don't get paid enough for a death sentence like that.

If police go in, expect heavy-duty hardware and excessive violence.

DE

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Deus....i completly agree with you.

The whole terrifying situation in Brazil is horrifying to us all but to those who live there and have to deal with this situation on a daily basis then its called daily routine.

As for the police force...half of them stay out the fighting cause of common sense and being outgunned and also cause they get the drugs FROM the gangs.

There is going to be NO easy way outta this situation....peacetalks...massacres and more innocent lives will be taken before outside help is asked for...and even then...it may be too late.

new topics

join