It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moving The Earth

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

Thanks for the info, I haven't had a chance to check out the program yet, so I didn't know if it did moons too or not. Though I figured it could be moved to with the planet, I just felt like throwing in a new angle to all the critical thinking. I always like a good mind boggling question like this, looking at it from a program doesn't do justice to the sheer size of an operation like this would be haha.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by deathlord

Thanks for the info, I haven't had a chance to check out the program yet, so I didn't know if it did moons too or not. Though I figured it could be moved to with the planet, I just felt like throwing in a new angle to all the critical thinking. I always like a good mind boggling question like this, looking at it from a program doesn't do justice to the sheer size of an operation like this would be haha.

Actually if you want to talk about sheer size, another of Larry Niven's books is called Ringworld. In it, he created a system in which all the planets had been used to create a ring that is 1 million miles wide, and encircles the sun (imagine a ribbon around a light bulb, the distance to the face of that ribbon, which is 1 million miles wide, is 1 AU or the same distance as the Earth is from the sun), with 1,000 mile high walls on either side, and rotating at about 770 miles per second to produce 1 G of gravity.
Land, water on the inside and air (all held in be the artificial gravity of the ring's spin).

Now THAT is sheer scale! whew! I wish I had a program that would let me mess with something like that.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Man, did I ever LOVE Ringworld.

Did you ever read the Niven/Pournelle novel "The Mote in Gods Eye"? That ranks up there as one of my favourite books of all time.

<< 1   >>

join