It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

About gratitude and saying thank you

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has felt a gratitude towards others for the little, and sometimes bigger things they may do for us in everyday life.

To that person who holds the door for you when your hands are full, to the friendly service person, who went the extra mile to ensure your satisfaction, to simply the person who may clean up the house after you.

A simple sincere thank you form the heart can mean so much, and I know I have appreciated being on the receiving end of these thank you's , even if they were for something as simple as cooking a meal for my family.

If it is one word I would like to know in as many languages as possible it is thank you. I only know

merci

muchas gracias

I think sucran may be the word in some Arabic type language.

I would love to hear any stories of when someone may have appreciated a thank you for something they did, or when the were very grateful and thankful for the actions or words of someone else.

I would also love if anyone could add how to say thank you in other languages..

Oh and thank you for participating in this thread for those of you who wish to post.

edit on 22-7-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
One quick google turned up this page:

users.elite.net...

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
One quick google turned up this page:

users.elite.net...

?? no story to share..? ever appreciated a thank you sent your way that was sincere and from the heart, or felt one for someone else? I'm sure you have , and I 'd love for you to share.

Thank you for the link..though I do wish it had pronunciations with it.

(very hard to tell how to say it from reading text)

I"ll try googling a voice translation of thank you in many languages

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by WhisperingWinds

by myself with two kids and no help in the world...nothing...nobody,Except my wonderful mother who taught me well for these times...thank you...awesome

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
hi op

i was at work and asked a mate to get me some rizlas
he bought me a whole pack of amber leaf
Reason:
because i copied him a copy of windows...
i also get up of my bus seat wen an elderly person walks on

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by davesmart
hi op

i was at work and asked a mate to get me some rizlas
he bought me a whole pack of amber leaf
Reason:
because i copied him a copy of windows...
i also get up of my bus seat wen an elderly person walks on

gratitude has a way of paying itself forward, thank you for sharing.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I also realize at times, that there are actions done by others that i am totally unaware of that have effected my life personally.

For all those who do good things for others, in a silent way, that the person they are doing it for, has no way of knowing it was them who helped out, or that something awful was prevented because if some action they took, I THANK YOU.

So cheers to the unsung heroes, who deserve gratitude and thanks but never receive it fully, because of those they help being unaware of it.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Oh, you want a story?

Okay. A long number of years I opened a door to the Chevron for this one woman and....

She slapped the heck out of me calling me a misogynist and that women don't need men.

I just let her slap me because the prevailing attitude is there's no call to hit a woman for absolutely any reason. not even in self defense. If a woman is to attack you, you should just let her attack you. Because you['re a man and you're so much more powerful than her and you can hurt her because women are so much better than men. People made fun of me for quite a while because a weak helpless girl beat me up.

But to this day I still open doors for people, because it's rude to shut them in someone's face.

edit on 22-7-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone

Oh, you want a story?

Okay. A long number of years I opened a door to the Chevron for this one woman and....

She slapped the heck out of me calling me a misogynist and that women don't need men.

I just let her slap me because the prevailing attitude is there's no call to hit a woman for absolutely any reason. not even in self defense. If a woman is to attack you, you should just let her attack you. Because you['re a man and you're so much more powerful than her and you can hurt her because women are so much better than men. People made fun of me for quite a while because a weak helpless girl beat me up.

But to this day I still open doors for people, because it's rude to shut them in someone's face.

edit on 22-7-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

I am grateful you have such a handle on" rudeness".

pat on the back for you .

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by SarnholeOntarable

by myself with two kids and no help in the world...nothing...nobody,Except my wonderful mother who taught me well for these times...thank you...awesome

I totally missed your post..so sorry about that.

thank you for posting a great tune, and participating...and someday your children will thank you for being there, if they don't already do that.
(children can sometimes take things for granted until they become parents themselves)

You sound like you have a wonderful mom

edit on 22-7-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Thank you for this thread what an great idea.

In Welsh, from wales in the UK Britain, one of if not the oldest continuously spoken language in the world,

Thank you is "diolch"

Thank you very much is "diolch yn fawr"

And this man had an very good take on it to thank you rasta jamaican styleee

The ultimate thank you message imho

Love

Elf

Edit I tried to find the oldest way of saying it, it is either the welsh above or from the aboriginal peoples of australia, so if anyone knows that would be good, here is though another 25 ways of saying it in all the native aboriginal peoples of canada:
25 ways to say thank you card
edit on 22-7-2012 by MischeviousElf because: as above

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

What a wonderful addition to this thread

great song choice as well..

diolch yn fawr

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Thought I'd add a few more thank you's in various languages

Thank you very much... in Japanese ...-"Arigatou gozaimasu." spelled in Japanese like this...ありがとうございます。

audio pronunciation- japanese.about.com...

In German
Most formal ways of thank you
Most common : Dankeschön, Danke sehr

Other ways:
Schönen Dank (Many thanks)

Herzlichen Dank (Heartfelt thanks)

Besten Dank (Best of thanks)

Haben Sie vielen Dank! (Many thanks)

Ich bin Ihnen sehr dankbar (I'm very grateful/thankful to you)

Less Formal Ways of Saying Thank You:

Danke

Vielen Dank (Many thanks)

Danke vielmals (Many thanks)

Tausend Dank (Thanks a million)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Thank you for this post! I mean it, too.

There have been folk throughout my life that have made such an impact on me by doing kindnesses that others--and even themselves--would consider "small."

Because of some of my earlier experiences and folk that made a difference, when around kids, I always look for the one that isn't smiling or seems left out and try to give them an encouraging word or some sort of acknowledgement that let's them know they are noticed and "somebody."

But what I really want to do here is say, "Thank YOU" to all the hospice and healthcare workers out there who approach their jobs and patients with kindness.

Thank you, for what you do to make my niece's life just a little better than it would be otherwise. Thank you for what you do to make me and my family's life more bearable through a difficult time.

Words seem so small when we try to thank you. You are a true blessing. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

edit on 10-8-2012 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

Thank you for sharing what some may consider "small kindnesses" meant to you as a child, and most importantly how you are trying to make that difference in the lives of the children who may need those small kindnesses, in big ways , to bring joy, healing, and hope .

I hope that the healthcare workers, who approach their jobs with kindness, heard your thank you loud and clear.

Once again, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on this thread.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I joke around on here and am accused of having and admit I have an ego the size of Texas, but in real life Im a pretty humble person. I am grateful for even small things and never am remiss in paying back a kindness. I feel weird when people tell me thank you though.. or pay me back in kind for a kindness I gave to them. Dunno why!

My story:
I have a wrought iron ornate security door.. and my mailman broke the key off in the lock when handing me a package. He didnt even atteptm to apologize, much less offer to help me. I got some needlenose pliers out and pulled out the teeth part of the key, but threw away the part you touch. Hell, what do I know about keys! LOL! Anyway, I took this tiny piece to my favorite hardware store ( I own a century old historic home AKA the money pit.. they know me well) and went to the key man. I had never dealt with making keys so I handed it to him and said I needed a new key. He looked at me like I was a moron and complained and moaned about being dumb and not bringing the rest of the key.. blah blah. The picture of cantankerous old man. He gave me the key and hollered at me for bringing this thing in and he is NOT guaranteeing it will work and its my fault if it doesnt work. He handed me the key and I thanked him and paid for it.. a whole buck it cost me. I got the thing home, told the husband what happened and we both thought the odds of it working were low and the odds of us having to pay 75 bucks for someone to come rekey the thing were great.
I put it in the lock.. and it WORKED. That guy saved me 75 bucks.. and I HAD to thank him.
I went to Krispy Kreme and bought 2 doz donuts and got a big thing opf coffee ( comes in like a boxed wine sort of set up) of starbucks plain old house blend black suitable for old men coffee

I drive it up there and start bringing all of this crap in and setting it on the counter. The mean ol guy is there... I hadnt thought of what Id do if he wasnt working that day! I gave him a card that Id printed out that said : IT WORKED!! and had the half a key taped to it.
He was pretty surprised and I sat there with a bunch of old guys and had coffee and donuts.
I made good friends that day. The old man?? He was a widower with kids that lived in Oklahoma so he's alone a lot, SS doesnt meet his needs so he does their keys on the side for a coupla bucks. Guess who I have over once a week for dinner and every holiday he wants to come to??

My point is that sometimes a "thank you" isnt enough.. and you need to give a whopper of a thank you.

My 2nd story:
One of the things I do is work with inner city kids.. poverty, criminality, etc. These are ROUGH kids. Anyway, when the kids have a birthday, I give them something. I helped one particular kid out on the down low and never spoke about it again. This is a over 6 ft tall Gangsta Disciple... but a kid at heart.
My birthday was Aug 4th and he rolls up in some god awful thing bumping bass (and I was at the door before he knocked.. it was LOUD! LOL!!) and hands me a handmade card and a pack of dry erase pens. He also hugged me and gave me a kiss on my cheek. Not a word.. just that and drove off.. bumping bass. I bawled my head off. It was so very sweet.
Now THATS probably the most touching thank you I have really ever had in my life. Makes me tear up writing about it!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Thanks for sharing your interesting and heartwarming stories.

new topics

top topics

join