It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird Phone Call (From the Masons!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Ok...people...I just got home from the gym a few minutes ago; the phone rang so of course I answered it.

I said hello and the person on the other end said: "Hello this is AJ and I am with the Masons; have you ever heard of the Masons?" I said: "no" playing dumb; then he said: "they are like the Shriners; have you heard of them?" I said that I had heard the name Shriner but that I really didn't know anything about them. He then told me that they want contributions to help the children; I asked if they had a website; he said no they didn't and the reason they didn't was to keep costs down so more money could go to the children; I then asked if they had a phone number I could call back to...and he gave me a phone number...then he told me the children were gong to have a show in October 2012 called (Marvelous Mystics on Parade) and that I should come. I told him that I needed to talk to some people first before I could commit to anything; he said fine and hoped to hear from me; then he hung up.

(edit) I forgot to mention: AJ asked if he could have my name and address to mail me information; that is when I asked for a phone number to call; I never did give him my name and address.

So....what do you all think? Has anyone else received a call like this?

edit on 21-7-2012 by caladonea because: correction

edit on 21-7-2012 by caladonea because: add more

edit on 21-7-2012 by caladonea because: correction

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Probably one of the many phone scams.

I had someone phone me and tell me my computer had a virus, and that i could pay them and they would take control of said pc and repair it for a fee. Yup...thats a scam. They didnt know brand, model, operating system, nor my name, address etc.

Lots of phone scams recently.

I googled it, and can find nothing.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I wouldn't trust any random person who calls and asks for money, let alone to meet them at any kind of location at any time. If you do decide to attempt to go to the event make sure you can take someone with you. Also make sure the individual you take can handle themselves fairly well. Things like these are how bodies are found in canals and on the side of highways.Interesting story none the less.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

i dont know, this sounds like a scam to try and get money, you can build basic websites for really cheap or free. did u ask how they got ur number?, if they call back u should ask if you can drop a donation to the local masonic lodge cause u don't feel comfortable sending money in the mail. If you want to get real paranoid though it could be someone or some agency that has been watching you through ats or the internet in general and used the cover as a mason to get ur attention and make contact. but then again it could be a low level mason trying to get money for children.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I would contact your local Lodge and ask them if they knew AJ. If not, let them know about the scam and why you called. If they do know AJ, then consider donating. I am sure it is going to go for the children.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Don't give any contributions, but show up to the parade. It should be something to look at, at the very least. You can tell a lot more from visual stuff than talking on the phone.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Donation site Link

Scam?

Also
edit on 21-7-2012 by BlastedCaddy because: just cuz

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I doubt the caller was "from the Masons." No Mason would say, "Masons are like the Shriners." That's nonsensical. As I'm sure you know, they are a subset. I've also never heard of the Masons doing cold-call soliciting.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
My grandad, dad and brother are masons, they don't solicit. Watch out for the home security scammers too, you will see them walking neighborhoods and it's usually some college age kid they recruited to give you some sales pitch. I had one of them walk up to my house and give me that song and dance and it took me an hour to get rid of the fellow. At one point i thought i was gonna have to call the police to get him to go away, he wouldn't take no for an answer. I felt like i was being pressured to give up my virginity

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Much, much THANIKS to everyone for your responses.

My conclusion so far is that it is a scam; but still I am not 100% sure...only 90%...lol...

top topics

join