It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

End of an Era: Navy retires AIM-54C

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by MPJay
Althought technically it was one of the greatest AAM's, the Buffalo as the crews called it wasn't exactly a missile you'd use against a maneuvering target. Bombers and cruise missiles were its forte. Both it and the Tomcat can enter a well earned retirement. But life goes on, both are just not achievable in todays readiness for combat needs. Too expensive to maintain.

Well said! Even though it is an awsome fighter, the F-14 was origionally conceived as a long range interceptor to protect the fleet from bombers and cruise missles. The F-14 will always be a great plane, but nothing lasts forever! (In my OPPIONION) it will be missed though.

Tim
ATS Director of Counter-Ignorance

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by just_a_pilot
Uh, no. They are lease purchase programs and depreciation is taken into affect. Not sure about tank or destroyers shells. But Air-Air missiles are leased.

Not for the Navy they aren't.

As I stated above they are bought in lots and issued from ordnance depots.

Maybe the AF leases them?

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
DELETE Duplicate.

[edit on 11/18/2004 by just_a_pilot]

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Well the Navy may purchase them outright. In the Air Force we leased them until fired. It may have changed but last I knew it was still the same. I do know the Navy ran out of Tomahawk CM's in Gulf War I. I never have looked at the circumstances around that.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by just_a_pilot
Well the Navy may purchase them outright. In the Air Force we leased them until fired. It may have changed but last I knew it was still the same. I do know the Navy ran out of Tomahawk CM's in Gulf War I. I never have looked at the circumstances around that.

No they did not. They did almost run out of assets in the area, but there was more of them in the ammo depots.

Those were sent over to be reloaded, but by then there was no more need for their use. Now with the new TACTOM, that will no longer be the case.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join