It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Argument for Concealed Weapons - VIDEO - Man stops Robbery and Shoots Robbers - No Deaths

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Bastards got what was coming to them. Could have ended up much worse - no loss of life but these boys are going to spend a lot of time in jail.

Locally, neither of the men have a criminal record, authorities said.
I feel horrible. It doesn't feel good. It makes you think about life's
decisions, and how you should live your life,” Henderson said in an
interview with the Star-Banner at the jail on Saturday afternoon.Hours
after his release from the hospital, Henderson, who talked about the
pain he feels in his buttock and hip, said the plan was to “barge in,
get the money and leave.” He said “he never expected anyone to be
armed.”“The gun was broken and rusty and wasn't loaded. Nobody was going to get hurt,” he said, standing with crutches.

So says the robber with a gun. Guess he got lucky today.

[exWith ]the glass temporarily blinding his friend, Henderson noticed two women were behind the counter and he thought that was “fishy.” Turning around
to see what the women were doing, Henderson said he was shot.“I
turned around to run and my leg gave out. That was when I got shot. I
hit the ground, and he was still shooting. I thought I was going to
die,” Henderson said.Henderson said that, “by the grace of God,” his “leg came back.”

Lucky robbers.

Robbers Meet Their Match

ColoradoJens
edit on 16-7-2012 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Eh, not to be a spoilsport here.....but a single example of a guy stopping a robbery with his concealed gun doesn't really amount to a very good statistical argument.....I honestly don't think that kind of thing happens very often....

In fact it's no better than if I used an example of a guy accidentally shooting himself in the groin with a concealed weapon as an argument against Concealed Weapons......I imagine that both situations are so rare as to be statistically useless as evidence for either side (though if I had to guess...it's probably much more likely to accidentally shoot yourself than to come across a robbery in progress that you're able to heroically stop)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

You have a point, but in this instance the dude did abide, and he was pissed in doing so. Stupid robbers ruining everyones' night got a taste of the old medicine. Serves em right!

CJ

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Geez they must be good mates. See how one pretty much ran over the other one to escape out the door lol
edit on 16-7-2012 by aaron2209 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

It would be great if you actually knew what you were talking about.

Guns used 2.5 million times a year in self-defense. Law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals as many as 2.5 million times every year -- or about 6,850 times a day.1 This means that each year, firearms are used more than 80 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to take lives

Source: Gary Kleck and Marc Gertz, "Armed Resistance to Crime: The Prevalence and Nature of Self-Defense With a Gun," 86 The Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology, Northwestern University School of Law, 1 (Fall 1995):164.
Dr. Kleck is a professor in the school of criminology and criminal justice at Florida State University in Tallahassee. He has researched extensively and published several essays on the gun control issue. His book, Point Blank: Guns and Violence in America, has become a widely cited source in the gun control debate. In fact, this book earned Dr. Kleck the prestigious American Society of Criminology Michael J. Hindelang award for 1993. This award is given for the book published in the past two to three years that makes the most outstanding contribution to criminology.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by aaron2209

It's always like that with the numbskulls. I suggest future criminals watch some movies and see how easily they get sold out by their mates, repeatedly, every time!

CJ

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by samhouston1886

It would be great if you actually knew what you were talking about.

Guns used 2.5 million times a year in self-defense. Law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals as many as 2.5 million times every year -- or about 6,850 times a day.1 This means that each year, firearms are used more than 80 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to take lives

Source: Gary Kleck and Marc Gertz, "Armed Resistance to Crime: The Prevalence and Nature of Self-Defense With a Gun," 86 The Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology, Northwestern University School of Law, 1 (Fall 1995):164.
Dr. Kleck is a professor in the school of criminology and criminal justice at Florida State University in Tallahassee. He has researched extensively and published several essays on the gun control issue. His book, Point Blank: Guns and Violence in America, has become a widely cited source in the gun control debate. In fact, this book earned Dr. Kleck the prestigious American Society of Criminology Michael J. Hindelang award for 1993. This award is given for the book published in the past two to three years that makes the most outstanding contribution to criminology.

Actually doing just a bit of research shows that Kleck and Gertz's numbers are pretty thoroughly debunked....For instance in this paper home.uchicago.edu...

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Well at least there was some criminal activity going on in this one. Still the other guy isn't any kind of hero, just another vigilante whose actions could have gotten an innocent bystander killed.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by KeliOnyx
Well at least there was some criminal activity going on in this one. Still the other guy isn't any kind of hero, just another vigilante whose actions could have gotten an innocent bystander killed.

Well, his actions were caused by the armed robbers. If they had not tried armed robbery, he wouldn't had to defend himself.

Here is an update - looks like the police believe he was within his rights -

“Based on what I have seen and what I know at this time, I don't anticipate filing any charges,” said Bill Gladson of the State Attorney's Office for 5th Judicial Circuit. Gladson said he has reviewed the security surveillance video from the cafe. While he still awaits final reports from the Marion County Sheriff's Office, he said the shooting appeared justified.

Internet Cafe Self Defense

CJ

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Oh I don't doubt that legally he did right thing. I just don't think it is a good idea to be cheerleading these guys for doing so. The tape makes it pretty clear to me that he lacks the self restraint to act in defense of others. Once they started running for the door he needed to stop, not try and catch up to unload his clip into them. He had already accomplished what he needed to do at that point. Any extra gunfire puts everyone else at risk.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
He legally and morally did the right thing. Just ask everyone present that was about to be subjected to armed robbery or worse, they are thankful.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Don't forgot about the other countless instances where the presence of a side-arm has deterred many would-be crimes. Now obviously, there are no statistics on this because most of these instances go unreported, but if you live in a large metropolitan area such as myself, you can hear of many stories over the years that go with hand-in-hand with my first sentence.

My brother-in law had a guy pull a knife on him when he was in a decent part town around 9pm. All my brother-in-law did was pull out his side-arm to make the attacker flee. This happened back in April.

Now as for back in my first year of college, the guy I was living with got robbed by a guy who pulled a knife on him out in the parking lot of my apartment complex. The sight of a gun would have saved him a lot of time cancelling his credit cards, waiting in line at the DMV for a new I.D., and he wouldn't have lost the cash in his wallet... Oh, and I almost forgot to mention he lost the wallet itself.

I, for one, would like to be ready to defend myself in any situation.

To each his own.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I don't know why but videos like these always bring a smile to my face. One would hope that the two young men would realize how lucky they were to not die and change their ways after the long incarceration they are about to face. If not, I hope the next person they try to victimize has a larger caliber weapon and shoots just as straight.

I agree that this is a perfect example of why concealed carry laws are great. I hope that the gentleman who did the shooting doesn't have to spend any money in either civil or criminal defense. He did the moral thing, and I'm pretty sure given Florida's pretty lax carry laws, the legal thing as well.

In reply to bhorn, I'm personally distrustful of anything with the University of Chicago and gun statistics. I'm aware that the City and University of Chicago are different entities, but Chicago is one city where legal carry of firearms is severely restricted yet it still has a disgusting crime rate. I'd personally like to see a University of Chicago study on why Chicago, which is a virtual Second Amendment Free city, has such a high murder rate with some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country. I'd personally never hire anyone with a University of Chicago degree because of the damage that their "School of Economics" has done to our economy, but that's just me.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by SmoothRhythm

That is really along the lines of the point I am making. I don't have issues with people having or using firearms for self defense. None at all I do have issue with certain members of society that do have them for self defense going beyond into vigilantism and our tolerance of it. The part of this video that bothers me is this guy pulls his gun fires the kids flee and he continues to follow them and fires some more going beyond the necessary force required to stop the robbery and ensure the other occupants safety. Or the guys that think it is ok to go outside of their home and kill the guys robbing the neighbors house. No amount of stuff or money is worth taking someone's life. Stuff and money can always be replaced when you take a life over it you can't ever replace that. The whole point of self defense is to end the event that has your life in danger, not to go out and seek the danger or pursue the matter further.

I have to wonder given this man's actions in the video what would have happened if the kids had tried to surrender what it is he would have done.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by KeliOnyx

He did well. But who knows how it have ended up, innocent customers or even the internet cafe employees
could have been the victim of the robbers if the man didn't stop them ?
I'm all for peace and against violence but I'm also for self-defense and this was great !

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   
January 12, 2017

Another instance where Weapons in the Hands of Civilians CAN BE beneficial. A Trooper in Arizona was being beaten up on the side of the highway, after being shot by the guy doing the beating. A passing driver got out of his car and shot the guy beating up the trooper... saving the trooper's life.

Full Story: www.msn.com...

top topics

join