It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"This Is What Democracy Looks Like "

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons
reply to post by LOK31

Kind of like peering into a looking glass and viewing how much hate, violence and control the leaders of the world have over us. It's sad to think the same police officers who are doing the bidding of their political leaders, go home to a family that are facing the same day to day problems people of the world face everyday. Yet they beat the struggling citizen who is just trying to demand justice from their leaders and to ask to be treated fairly.

When you consider the small percentage of those in power who live a pampered life, who pollute our environment and make decisions on our very existence. Who continue to over tax hard working people, who continue to spend an enormous amount of our tax dollars on the military machine and ignore the needs of its own citizens, who continue to put a corporations needs before its citizens, it's pretty sad that we the people of the world continue to live our lives and accept the hardships they dish out.

You are spot on with everything you said....but if we sit here and take it then we deserve it. simple as that.

they can only take what we give, and we are too stupid to stop giving so they will continue taking. Why wouldnt they?

If you found a magic goose that laid golden eggs every time you kicked its ass, would you stop? Maybe, maybe not..

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Pretty sad watching about 10 full geared riot police stomp on 1 unarmed person.

I feel like if somone emptied a couple clips at them next time that happened, you wouldnt see that much anymore, you probly wouldnt see as many people signing up to be police (free paycheck and excuse to beat people with no consequence) anymore either.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Your 100% right but sounds a bit utopic

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
reply to post by LOK31

Definition of Democracy = 2 Rapists and a woman sitting around a table discussing consent laws. In a Constitutional Republic, the woman is armed and daring them to try. The word Democracy is not found one time in ANY of America's founding documents, and there is a good reason for it.

Indeed!

it's amazing how many americans have no idea that we don't live in a democracy, and never have. we have something better, better than the mob rule of pure democracy.

it's so rare to see someone who understands, if i could i would give you an applause.

It isn't as rare as you think... you just have to hang out in the right places

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I think the video is an accurate, albeit dramatized, portrayal of democracy. A democracy is the rule of the people by way of majority. Or rather mob rule, in a democracy the will of the many can overwhelm the rights of the few. For that reason give me a representative republic, and the rule of law to protect us from the capricious majority.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by youhup

I do not believe that Utopia is a possibility, and would never attempt to achieve it, nor advocate that anyone else try it either. The simple fact is that every time someone tries, they end up with some bloody god complex and kill a bunch of people for reasons that are only apparant, or sensible within the context of that megalomania.

My attitude is that there is enough evil in the world without creating governmental systems which are focused toward taking and retaining power, that ought to belong to the people directly. It is true that in times past, a centralised government was helpful in terms of creating uniformity of purpose throughout a nations infrastructure, despite the obvious negatives of that scenario, it was better than the chaos which would have resulted in a lack of governance of any kind, and is therefore commendable.

However, in this, the information age, where the masses by and large have access to, or could gain access to, communications technology like mobile telecomunications devices and networked computers, the way our nation is governed COULD change to make it more inclusive, and immediately responsive to the demands of the people. I believe that in the future, if democracy is to survive and evolve, the people of nations like ours, will be able to vote via internet, not just on which workshy cretin in a suit gets to govern next, but on each individual policy and action of any real import. If this inclusive involvement on the part of the electorate does not occur, when the tools to make it happen are clearly in place, then it is a matter of time before those of us who respect democracy will have no choice but to FORCE that change on the government.

The fact is that democracy has only been limited in terms of public involvement in government, because not everyone with an opinion had a forum in which to voice it. Some could not travel to London to make thier case directly. Others lacked the patience to wait for thier demands to be heard. With the advent of instant communication with a central body, you can clearly see that soon, people will not accept the sluggishness of our parliament to respond to orders from thier employers.

The people must remember that for all thier suits and fancy cars, those who govern are our underlings. Ours to demand of, to give orders, they are meant to be nothing more than the voicebox which speaks for our nation on the world stage, and supposed to enforce the will of the majority within our shores. They have no business acting for what they call the national interest, without permission from the people. In a nation run on what I like to call IRD (immediately responsive democracy) the people could use thier OWN voices, and be heard in a national forum which has the power to overwhelm and undermine parliament when it gets to big for its boots, and begins to behave in a manner which does not suit the population. It would have its issues, but I really think that the oppertunity to force a minister or prime minister to account, or order a change in policy, or prevent one, is the right of every citizen, and more control will have to be exerted in the future over our "leaders" if democracy is to be anything other than a more polite version of fascism in time to come.
edit on 20-7-2012 by TrueBrit because: Grammar error correction. Sorry folks!

<< 1   >>

join