It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scenerio: Solar flare knocks out grid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Say that a solar flare knocks out the grid for 3-9 months, or even longer. Here's what I think are likely scenarios in order of most likely to least likely:

A.) The government declares martial law, basically a military dictatorship
B.) Foreign troops invade and occupy America, if the grid is down that is a perfect scenario for invasion by foreign troops, when America has so many enemies
C.) Street gangs control various cities, such as Chicago
D.) Extraterrestrial intervention
E.) The government and utility companies fix the problem in an efficient manner

Any other predictions, if solar flares knock out the electrical grid?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Well, I'd scratch B... It's a long trip by Long Boat or Clipper Ship. lol.... If we're off the grid and fried across the board, so is everyone else most likely. A super storm like that wouldn't be a couple hours on one side..but would effect the whole globe, so for better or worse, I'd say we're on our own for the duration. (I'd call that the only good thing in the whole mess..lol)

I agree with A 100%. They'd try anyway, almost immediately. I don't see America holding a state of total control ..and without electricity for 90% of the population...for any length of time. Weeks? Sure...we'd hate it, but we'd deal with it. Months? Well, people would start to 'see about' how that was going to work, I believe.

Ultimately, your street gang option is where I'd see the big cities going and quickly. There are decent folks everywhere though, so it would remain hit and run fighting for the duration among good and bad in the cities, IMO.

In the country.. Heck..... I think MANY new shallow graves would appear suddenly, if anyone were watching such things. Following that, crime rates would mysteriously drop and the remainder who survived would make their way to those big cities where they'd have a fighting chance. Decent folk would "Settle Matters" themselves when it became clear it wasn't just a few weeks...at least outside the cities. All just my opinion.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Three feet of dirt is all it takes to insulate against such activity...

You don't think the military has this scenario prepared and ready to go?

Id go with a A combined with maybe C and B thrown in, with eventually restored order.

A would start as a means to maintain order and probably sink into something far more sinister as the power remains off.
edit on 16-7-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

join